Lynch Box is a Mud Ball

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinder5150

Reaction score
In the past week, my Lynch Box has became very muddy. I am guessing that this is a preamp tube issue, but not sure. Which tube would most likely be the culprit? I guess it could be module tubes also. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

How many hours on the power tubes?

How many hours on the preamp tubes?

How hard do you run the amp? (to determine the first two)

Active pickups? battery? -- an old battery in actives can make any amp sound like crapola. Loss of clarity is one symptom -- which reminds me I need to change the battery in my Alexi. It's been in there about a 14 months. I'm noticing some funky sounds (not in a good way) recently when playing it.

If you have actives I'd do the battery first. It's cheap. Then start looking at other things.

I have both active and non active pickup guitars. They all sound muddy.

The power tubes (Svet6550's) have about 10 hrs. on them. The preamp tubes(EH 12ax7's) have not much more on them. The grail module(Ruby12ax7's) probably have the most hrs. on them.

Side note: I bought a Vox JS Ice 9 overdrive last week and have been using it in the front of the amp for about 2 weeks now. I use it for a boost. The whole setup sounded great until a couple of days ago. It seemed like I was playing a bit louder, then it got muddy. So, I am assuming it is a tube problem.

Thanks

kinder5150 said:
I have both active and non active pickup guitars. They all sound muddy.

The power tubes (Svet6550's) have about 10 hrs. on them. The preamp tubes(EH 12ax7's) have not much more on them. The grail module(Ruby12ax7's) probably have the most hrs. on them.

Side note: I bought a Vox JS Ice 9 overdrive last week and have been using it in the front of the amp for about 2 weeks now. I use it for a boost. The whole setup sounded great until a couple of days ago. It seemed like I was playing a bit louder, then it got muddy. So, I am assuming it is a tube problem.

Thanks

I'm assuming every module has this problem?

Output tubes don't really go dull that fast I think.
I'd definitly try changing out the V1, PI and maybe the effectsloop driver tube... (although I doubt it would be the last one).

Also: give your ears some rest. Some days nothing sounds good ;)
(I've had this, changing out tubes and whatnot.. still sounded like crap, next day .. awesometone)

Yeah, I've heard of output tubes running way too hot and dying fast but even 10 hours is incredibly fast and shouldn't be the problem...

As I always say, check all your cables...Something may be awry with that scene...Also check your settings on your modules and power amp - sometimes a cable drags across something like presence and kills tone...All the other suggestions cover everything else so no need for me to reiterate what's already been said...

but I've had power tubes die in less than 10 hrs. with the bias set properly.

if a tube doesn't fail within the first say 3 weeks, it'll be good for a year or longer. At about 3 yrs you'll start seeing frequent failures again.

Try the input valve, the loop valve, then the PI. If none of those make a difference, then put in your old power tubes unless a major failure was the reason you changed them. If the amp works with the old tubes, then it was the tubes and you need to take advantage of the warranty period on teh tubes.

Julia said:

if a tube doesn't fail within the first say 3 weeks, it'll be good for a year or longer. At about 3 yrs you'll start seeing frequent failures again.

Try the input valve, the loop valve, then the PI. If none of those make a difference, then put in your old power tubes unless a major failure was the reason you changed them. If the amp works with the old tubes, then it was the tubes and you need to take advantage of the warranty period on teh tubes.
Yeah but going "dull and muddy' isn't really failing is it?

Maybe I'm too ignorant on this, only thing I've had happen with powertubes is I blew a few the other night which were damaged by a different broken amp..

But yeah, like I said I'd check all non-module preamptubes first, since that's very easy to do.
Also fig's comment is good: try plugging in directly without cables/pedals etc.
There might be something else in the chain screwing up your signal.

m0jo said:
Julia said:

Yeah but going "dull and muddy' isn't really failing is it?

Maybe I'm too ignorant on this, only thing I've had happen with powertubes is I blew a few the other night which were damaged by a different broken amp..

But yeah, like I said I'd check all non-module preamptubes first, since that's very easy to do.
Also fig's comment is good: try plugging in directly without cables/pedals etc.
There might be something else in the chain screwing up your signal.

Yep yep...Strip your rig down to guitar and amp...You're having this problem with all modules I'm assuming therefore, checking each is kinda silly....But maybe I missed a piece of this puzzle...Try replacing the easiest tubes first as has been suggested (in the power amp)...And I'll actually just shut up as this post is adding nothing to the discussion...My condolences...:)

I have the Grail module. Has anyone modded this module? I know about the C3 change on the PC board. To me, the module has always seemed too muddy. I run the gain at 7, bass at 5, mids at 5, and treble at 8. I tried bass at 3, mids at 3, and highs at 8 for some sucess, but doesn't explain why the thing got muddy in the first place. Volume of the module is always ran at about 4. As for the amp being muddy, I changed in and out preamp and power tubes last night. Still muddy.

Turn your gain down to around 11:00 or 12:00 on the Grail.

Run your density around noon or lower.

Have you tried the amp in a different cabinet?

If it doesn't sound muddy in a different cabinet it is possible that a speaker connection came loose and you have an impedance mismatch. Or you've got a speaker problem.

Check your speaker cabinet with an ohm meter. An 8 ohm cab will read around 6 ohms, and a 4 ohm cab around 3.4 ohms, and a 16 ohm cab around 12.

If none of this stuff works, see an amp tech.