How do you change the main fuse?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
Yes, I tried using the search function first and found some threads about the fuse but none really answered my question. There is nothing about it in my users manual.

I have a Lynch box, and I think the main fuse is blown. Is the fuse to be found by removing the two screws that hold in the power cord jack? Well, I took those screws out and started to remove it and then the wires inside started coming disconnected. I stopped and hooked them back up, hoping I hooked them back up correctly. Where the heck is the fuse?

I can't help you either way, but you might want to start off by telling us which model "Lynch Box" you have in case it makes a difference to someone who can help you . . . :wink:

HughJasol said:
I can't help you either way, but you might want to start off by telling us which model "Lynch Box" you have in case it makes a difference to someone who can help you . . . :wink:

The RM100LB aka The Lynch Box. Thanks.

I used to have an RM50HLB . . . also "aka The Lynch Box".

For the modular line:

RM50LB = Lynch Box 50W Combo
RM50HLB = Lynch Box 50W Head
RM100LB = Lynch Box 100W Head

And now with the new (non-modular) line for 2011 the model for the 50W Combo has been renamed to "LB50C" . . .

HughJasol said:
I used to have an RM50HLB . . . also "aka The Lynch Box".

For the modular line:

RM50LB = Lynch Box 50W Combo
RM50HLB = Lynch Box 50W Head
RM100LB = Lynch Box 100W Head

And now with the new (non-modular) line for 2011 the model for the 50W Combo has been renamed to "LB50C" . . .

Right. So does anyone know how do you change the fuse in the 100 watt head, (the "orignal" MTS Lynch box?)

Man, I find it hard to believe nobody answered this. When I get home tonight, I'll drag mine out and take a look (if my back issues allow). I've never done it before, so I can't answer your question now. I will take a look when I get home.

drewiv said:
Man, I find it hard to believe nobody answered this. When I get home tonight, I'll drag mine out and take a look (if my back issues allow). I've never done it before, so I can't answer your question now. I will take a look when I get home.

Thanks, sure could use another pair of eyes on this. Unless I'm missing something, it just seems that changing the main fuse is more complicated than it ought to be. It appears to be located somewhere around the area where the power cord plugs into the back. I've read elsewhere on the forum some references to "removing the screws" but if that means you have to pull the power cord jack/interface out, then what about all the wires that might become disconnected? They are connected via male/female tab connectors. Sure wouldn't want to risk not being able to tell for certain which wire goes where and hooking them back up the wrong way.

Fairly sure you just take a flat bladed screwdriver and pry the square fuse holder out like you do with all the other RM100s?

Be sure to note which way it's facing relative to the 'notch' or pointer, as this is what selects the transformer voltage *before* removal.

EDIT: Does it not look like this?

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6297

JKD said:
Fairly sure you just take a flat bladed screwdriver and pry the square fuse holder out like you do with all the other RM100s?

Be sure to note which way it's facing relative to the 'notch' or pointer, as this is what selects the transformer voltage *before* removal.

EDIT: Does it not look like this?

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6297

Yes, that's it. Thanks. I didn't notice your edit right away and was looking at it again and did notice there is a small notch on the inside edge or the edge toward the power cord that I did not see before. I didn't try to do anything to it until looking at the link though. It pops out real easy with a mini-flat head screw driver. I had previously looked at that area and it just looked like that whole power jack was one solid piece. In better lighting, maybe I would have noticed that notch the first time.

Anyway, before seeing that notch, I took out the two screws and started to ease out the whole thing and two wires popped off so now I'm concerned I may not have hooked them back up correctly, although I'm 90% sure I did. I'd like to be 100% sure though before plugging it back in. BTW, the fuse was obviously fried.

Pete's fix it thread should be part of the "Sticky" for the RM100 guide in the Egnater/Randall Modular Amps portion of the forum. Hope somebody catches that and puts that info over there.