Scott Ian still uses his Randall :)

Area specific for Lynch, Hammett, Donagan (1086), etc modules and amps

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

seanh303
RM100

Post by seanh303 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:22 am

Oh no doubt about the KHX man! Please don't misunderstand, I'm DEF not saying it sux, it's still on my short list to have. Just that the other 3 guys REALLY tweaked the appearance and picked speakers that cost like 2x, whereas the KHX is pretty similar to the RV412 for components and appearance.

And actually, I think it's possible also (can't recall) that Kirk insisted on a cab with the custom 100w speakers, and so Randall also offered the RV412S-100 and RV412A-100 cabinets. Idk, on one hand, it makes sense that maybe Kirk wanted the G12H-100 customized a little, and to make it economical, Randall had to order a larger quantity and offer the speaker in more cabs than the RS412-KH100.

But at the same time, George was able to have a custom speaker made from Eminence, and a whole different one made from Celestion, and those speakers aren't offered in any other cab besides his sig ones. Of course, that includes a 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, and 1x12 combo, which are all still sold as part of the new non-modular line, so maybe just with the signature offerings, they were able to order enough of those speakers for that to work.

Plus, Kirk insisted on 2 cabinets, the v30/t-75 x-pattern and the 400w, so maybe they didn't let him go with the Heritage series speakers for his cabs, since he had 2. I do think the 2 cabs combined and his speaker selection do pretty much nail the metallica tone. He did go pretty big in that regard...gotta buy a full stack to get his sound!!!
Good deals with: Bruce, sschultz242, altspeed, pettymusic

JayDA
Lynch Box

Post by JayDA » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:54 am

I have to agree about the Ian stuff, while the stock mods can't hold a candle to Rob's stuff, it was definitely headed in the right direction. I have one of the few Ian cabs I've ever seen, and it eats my V30 loaded XL cab for breakfast. Must be the Heritage 60s, because there is a "solid" feeling to the low end, especially at high volumes, that i just don't hear in the other cab.

seanh303
RM100

Post by seanh303 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:13 am

I've gotta get one of those cabs. $1500 is kinda steep though! Take $500 for yours? :lol:
Good deals with: Bruce, sschultz242, altspeed, pettymusic

notyet
RM50

Post by notyet » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:18 am

Like so many other things... Its just a heartbreaker to me that the line is dead. The RM2x was sort of reasonably priced and could be customized. That just makes sense to me.

I guess people just want a regular old amp and be done with it.

mrbeasty
RM20

Post by mrbeasty » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:56 pm

About the end of the MTS, you have to remember that when Randall licensed the modular concept from Bruce Egnater, Egnater was a tiny brand, doing mostly ghost design work (Rocktron, etc.). Today Egnater is a big brand, and a competitor to whom they have to pay a percentage. It has been ten years, Randall has a new head designer who probably wants to put his own imprint on Randall ... We can still look at Egnater and all the modders for fresh products ... :)