Just bought the KH-3

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymustang302

Reaction score
Just bought the KH-3 from the music store I go to for all my Randall stuff. Will let you guy's know what i think.

(when i was getting checked out, the guy dropped the box 3 times :evil: until i told him i would hold on to it. )

I'd be interested to know how it compares to the ultra/ultra xl modules. Those three are the contenders right now for my next module.

Different strokes for different folks...as a high gainer, I rank the KH-3 right alongside my Ultra....they're my two favorite modules....it just does it differently.

The KH-3 is far dryer sounding distortion but it has killer variability in the mids can make it scoop or sing..and I love how it doesn't get too harsh when you take the Treble up like most other modules do.

I feel like I play cleaner with the KH-3...almost have to...plus it's quieter (less hiss) than the Ultra/UltraXL.

its almost as noisy as an ultra, its so **** dry, very close to my 5150 II which for the record are different than 5150's and are definetley different than 6505's but not too far off. i think the II's were the driest of all. i know i'm still tweaking mine :wink:

tonymustang302 said:
So far.....i dunno......i'm upset with this module, had higher hopes for it. Ultra blow's it away IMHO

Yikes...I have mine shipping to me as we speak. Maybe I'll be more satisfied with my set up with a Les Paul

Without even receiving it, I wonder if it'll make the cut as I'll have many high gain modules to compare- something may have to go

Guitar and pickups will make a huge difference..the KH-3 loves the EMGs (for obvious reasons)

...you should also find pretty different EQ going from woods in your guitars...bass settings on my EMG81/Alder will woof out if I use the LP/498T (Maple cap/Mahogany).....pretty standard stuff.

I have the KH2 now, and I think this module is amazing. It sounds particuliary better at higher volumes, once its pushed a little, it really comes to life, good texture and thickness to the KH2, which is similar to the kh3 I believe, only the kh3 a bit more compressed and brighter (not a bad thing)

so if its at lower volumes, try brining up the volume a bit and see if it opens up for you

JKD said:
Guitar and pickups will make a huge difference..the KH-3 loves the EMGs (for obvious reasons)

...you should also find pretty different EQ going from woods in your guitars...bass settings on my EMG81/Alder will woof out if I use the LP/498T (Maple cap/Mahogany).....pretty standard stuff.

i was hoping to ask you some '?'s about your kh3 if it wouldnt be a bother.
first your quote about the guitar above woods/pick-ups. i cant agree more. i'm in the middle of a custom guitar project (korina body/ seymour duncan pick-ups sh6's neck and bridge). this guitar will put me relm of mahogany tone. so before i start buying modules i would like to have the guitar finished as we both now this will likely influence my decision greatly.
so with respect to the kh3, is this module based around active pick-ups? will passive pick-ups still get the jjob done? or does the kh3 perform like it should with either or? i'm on the fence between the 1086 and kh3. one of these modules will be solely dedicated to a heavy metal rythem channel.
with the guitar specs mentioned above any input on the better fit between the two modules?
thanks and sorry for the book
bobby

you can't go wrong with either one , but the 1086 has a deeper punch to it and 2 voicings as well as a gain boost , the kh-3 has a very wide eq and many tones can be dialed in . probably the only module i've ever played that the eq sounds good set pretty much anywhere, doesn't seem to get harsh or muddy anywhere, but with the gain cranked its super hot. kh-3 is probably better at leads but for rythym you'd have to play them both to know for sure

I'm actually thinking of switching over to Dimarzio distortion pickups instead of the EMG's. In my ESP KH-2, the tone is more lower end with the woods. In my ibanez the dimarzio gives it a sick punch.

The 1086 can get the exact same tone as teh KH3. The KH3 makes you play tighter IMHO...it's not forgiving to sloppy playing... Like a VHT amp.

Wait till you get that modded 1086 by Pete......NO ROOM for errors! A sloppy player will say he hates it since it will show ALL his errors....But when you HIT that chord or note......it is DEAD ON the $$$!!
I am just loving that one!(not when playing after a few drinks though, shows my errors and the band yells at me!) hahaha! :D

tonymustang302 said:
So far.....i dunno......i'm upset with this module, had higher hopes for it. Ultra blow's it away IMHO

I feel the same way, I was highly disappointed with this module. IMHO the module sounded like it had the flu. It lacked fullness that a module should have and it was a bit too dry for my taste. I really tried to give it a chance but I found myself going back to the 1086 or Ultra.

Boosting it helps with the dryness......I have a love/hate relationship with mine.....love it's clarity......but there is this congested sound that bugs me at times.....Mr. Scary has taken over when I play my RM-20.....which is less these days with the acquisition of a Vetta II head.....I know people will roll their eyes with that remark...... :lol:

insightibanez said:
Thanks for sharing, I wonder if the KH2 has that congestion problem as well?

I just got to play both in a KH head the other day, and to me the KH2 sounded a lot fuller but with less gain available. I thought "dry" was the perfect word to describe the KH-3, although it is tighter and gainier.

I had the KH3 when it 1st came out. Played it for about 20 minutes and just KNEW I didn't care for the tone. Wasn't that I didn't dial it in right or let it grow on me. I just didn't care for it. Some like it and thats cool, but I liked the 1086 better for the heavier tones. Music is in the ears of the player I guess.
Perfect for some....sucks for others! :D