Can someone tell me wtf "djent" is?

Talk about your favorite bands new and old and any other music related topics.

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

zepplin490
Lynch Box

Can someone tell me wtf "djent" is?

Post by zepplin490 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:21 pm

WTF is this? is it a type of music? a sub genre? Ive heard various tracks that have been described as djent and they all were horrible! shitty tone and terrible playing. I even heard one on the salvationmods facebook page with the camerock playing "djent" and it was garbage even through that killer module... somebody set me straight please!
-mp-
Randall RM100, with a Randall Warhead V30cab,
Voodoo UG Jose
Good Deals With: Everyone

disk11
RM100

Post by disk11 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:23 pm

Oversimplified: Meshuggah rip-offs

It's a metal sub genre, some would say off progressive metal, that uses other time signatures than 4/4.

Personally the only djent bands I like is Tesseract, and I'm not digging their new vocalist, and The Safety Fire.

Some other bands are starting to use similar riffing styles. For example 7 Horns 7 Eyes (sludgy/slower paced death metal), Decapitated (technical death metal) on Carnival is Forever.
RM4 and RM22
Recto, SG Diablo, Ultra, UltraXL Dragon, JF Rverb, Deluxe, JF XTC, XTC 2x, Modern
GSP1101
Orange 212
Ibby 7420 w/ Evo7

Good deals w/: Mister Joshua, angra04, schlagdog, drewiv 2x, Detroit ABA, crankyrayhanky, ctgblue, alowerdeep

Totenkampf
RM100

Post by Totenkampf » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:33 pm

i have had a hard time describing it but i know it when i hear it because its just about the only metal sub genre that i dont like...well other than wtf limp bizcuit is.

seems too busy, too many contrasting effects going on and high mids making everything muddy. I think Periphery falls into this and although they are all skilled players, my ears never have time to rest between all the activity. there doesnt seem to be any hooks, just one run after another.
Carvin Quad-X / RM4 / RM4 > BBE MaxCom > ProRackG Stereo > RT2/50 / Velocity Valve > Redstar Blackjack Cabinets
JF Blu JuJu, SM Mamba XSE modules, 6 empty slots!
Good Guy List - MattFig, TTime, JayDA, grbassist

disk11
RM100

Post by disk11 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Totenkampf wrote:i have had a hard time describing it but i know it when i hear it because its just about the only metal sub genre that i dont like...well other than wtf limp bizcuit is.

seems too busy, too many contrasting effects going on and high mids making everything muddy. I think Periphery falls into this and although they are all skilled players, my ears never have time to rest between all the activity. there doesnt seem to be any hooks, just one run after another.
Limp Bizkit is nu-metal.

Periphery are the Metallica of djent, by that I mean the first big one. And I agree, very talented but don't care for 'em.
RM4 and RM22
Recto, SG Diablo, Ultra, UltraXL Dragon, JF Rverb, Deluxe, JF XTC, XTC 2x, Modern
GSP1101
Orange 212
Ibby 7420 w/ Evo7

Good deals w/: Mister Joshua, angra04, schlagdog, drewiv 2x, Detroit ABA, crankyrayhanky, ctgblue, alowerdeep

zepplin490
Lynch Box

Post by zepplin490 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:58 am

The only Examples ive heard that claim to be "djent" are slow sludgy detuned garbage.. havent heard any semblance of talent from any of it..
-mp-
Randall RM100, with a Randall Warhead V30cab,
Voodoo UG Jose
Good Deals With: Everyone

I am Legion
RM100

Post by I am Legion » Fri May 03, 2013 7:25 am

Most of the above.

Having checked out a number of bands that apparently fall into this 'category', most sound like Meshuggah after a hefty oestrogen injection.
RM100 - Blackface, JF Erect, Ultra, Ultra Lead, Gigmods Mark, Salvation Mamba SE, SG Afterlife

ESP LTD M207 w/BK Warpig

Good deals with OKstrat, Jaded Faith, Salvation, Mysticalp, Murderball.

MarcoR
Donating Member

Post by MarcoR » Tue May 07, 2013 1:05 pm

The Periphery II album is pretty good; very impressive musicianship. It's a little fatiguing to listen to for long though with so much going on.
Synergy: SYN2, Friedman DS, HBE
Self Modded: Egnater B'Man, SL2X
Amps: VHT 2/50/2, RM50, Landry LS100 G3, Splawn Quick Rod, Marshall 6100LM