Humble Pie

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completely incredible band. They had everything, soul, power, groove, attitude, great songs and THEY ROCK!

Thanks for that reminder Spider, I really need to rebuild my collection. I had the albums back when. Is there a good "greatist hits" collection out? I suppose I could just i tune myself a little collection of favorites too.

Having Peter Frampton in the band didn't hurt...LOL

Check out some old UFO albums, practice up on those Michael Schenker riffs. Lights Out, Rock Bottom.....ahhh those were the days. :)

H

Hey, here's a few only Tommy may remember :

Mahogony Rush
Frank Mareno
Alcatraz ( Yngwe, then Vai ) Or is that in reverse order?

H

I actually bought an Imic connection for my mac mini and just use the records through my jbl satellite speakers w/ a woofer. I dont know about a greatest hits out, I heard rumours of a steve marriot box set but i dont know if it dropped yet or not.

I have nothing but contempt for the scorpions and I think that has totally tainted my personal view of all things schenker....

LOL, that's funny. Of course Rudolf of the Scorps and Michael of UFO were vastly different in style, no comparison.

H

If nothing else just give Rock Bottom ( live version, from the "Strangers in the Night" album) a listen . Schenker does a 2 or 3 minute solo that will make your fingers bleed..:)

H

Spider

Pick up the Strangers in the Night album. The best UFO songs in a high energy live setting. Michael Schenker just rips through this show with a great guitar tone. 50 Watt Marshall heads through 4X12 cabs, a cord and a Flying V. It really is quite good. I love that album. I will play it tonight!

Oh and I actually think you'd reconsider the Scorpions if you go way back to the pre-pop metal years and listen to anything with the original guitarist. His name was Uli John Roth. He absolutley smokes! No kidding WAY ahead of his time.

You had it right Howard, Yngwe and then Vai. I liked the Vai era, especially the Disturbing the Peace album with Graham Bonnet (Rainbow) on vocals.

Now let's talk Rainbow ... Blackmore baby. Startocaster with total attitude. Actually right before that there was a version of Deep Purple with David Coverdale, Glen Hughes and the rest of the original Purple line up. Go to YouTube and look up Deep Purple and find the performance from the 1974 California Jam. The song is Burn. It does.

I saw Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush in his prime. It was great and it was LOUD! His live album was also excellent.

Do we want to talk about the version of The James Gang after Jow Walsh left with Tommy Bolin on guitar. And speaking of which, how about that Moxie album with Tommy Bolin. Now that is one awesome guitar album.

Yep, those were mighty fine days indeed!

Tommy,

OK, another great band............drum roll please - Montrose ! Paper Money, Rock Candy. Man, now I'm going to be playing UFO, Montrose, and Deep Purple when I get home tonight. LOL

H

Love Ronnie Montrose. I cop that tone knob rolled down sound all the time. EG3 does this real well. Little known favorite Montrose. It's called "Jump On It". That was after Sammy left.