The Art of Shread...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Invent your own sound stop trying to be someone else and be your self.

THIS IS WHAT A MUSICIAN IS..... Key Word MUSICIAN. Not a IMULATOR

How I learned to solo and shred was learning songs. I would take different parts from different songs.....add my own TWIST to them and just rip!
No matter what rig I play on....I still sound like me.
But Just take a style or a run or lick and improvise. Make it yours.
Small vibrato here and there, some whammy wiggle/dive bomb.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.......
I am lazy....just play what I know and dont try to learn new things these past few years! :D

RIP STUDIOS said:
Invent your own sound stop trying to be someone else and be your self.

THIS IS WHAT A MUSICIAN IS..... Key Word MUSICIAN. Not a IMULATOR

Yeah listen to RIP. Make your own sound... with other people's money.

insightibanez said:
Whats the secret to soloing/ shreading???

whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half, played perfectly and in time to a metronome. left elbow tucked into your ribs, play til your hand cramps, shake it out, repete for at least an hour with no distractions.

Then try praticing these modes over their associated chords, over time, you'll be able to "hear" chords and improvise a solo and thats when the magic begins.

Ionian over Cmaj7
Dorian over Dm7
Phrygian over Esus♭9
Lydian over Fmaj7♯11
Mixolydian over G7
Aeolian over Am7
Locrian over Bm7♭5

The secret to soloing is to create a song within a song make your solo more meaningful by slowly building to a climatic frenzy. The problem with most shredders is that they blow their wad in the first few measures and have nothing else to say but the same garbage, but if you can mix slow and fast within the context of the song without sounding plainly over the top, you got something their. If you listens to the greats they are great shredders but most important is that they know how to mix it up so it makes sense musically and is not just nonsense. If it sounds to deep maybe I am just an ol' fart trying to pass on some useful info to the next gen of plank spankers.
PS make sure your amp go's to 11