What cab(s) will work with my T2?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitargeekt2

Reaction score
I just picked up a t2 and want to know what would work with it for half AND full stack. I am looking at marshall 1960's or a Jet City 4x12. The 1960 is 300 at 4 ohms or can run at 16 ohms. The jet city is 280 at 4 ohms or can run in 16 ohms. I am so confused!!

My question is how the ohm's really work with the T2 It says, 4 at 400, 8 at 280. So does that mean I need 2 8 ohm cabs for a full stack? Or 2 4's?

at 1x4 ohm at 400 watts, 2xwhatever at whatever, etc..

Please help!!

let's start with this.....your T2 amp has 2 speaker output jacks in the back which are identical to each other. the amp's operating impedance is self-adjusting, so you can use a 4ohm, 8ohm, or 16ohm cab and the amp will automatically run at the detected impedance of the cab. i believe the T2/V2 heads do not output in stereo, only mono. so each "speaker out" jack runs in mono. when your picking your cab, only pay attention to the mono specs. some cabs have a swith for mono or stereo so be sure you are running it in mono.

now, your amp will run at the following power ratings into a mono cabinet:

480w @ 2ohms (wouldn't recommend this option, amp gets real hot)
400w @ 4ohms
280w @ 8ohms
160w @ 16ohms

the cab you choose must be able to handle the indicated wattage at the indicated impedance listed above. for example, if you find a cab that is 200w max @ 4ohms, it won't work cuz your amp will be putting out 400w @ 4ohms.

to answer your question about running two cabs for a full stack....gets a little more tricky now. cuz you can run each speaker wire from the head to the cabs directly, or you can run one speaker wire to the first cab, then if the cab has a "parallel out" jack, you can just run another wire from the first cab to the second cab, but the impedance will be cut in have, so again, it gets tricky. find a cab that can handle the watts/ohms you wish to run and just buy two of them. here are some example options:

2-4x12 cabs, at least 400w handling capacity @ 4ohms mono

2-4x12 cabs, at least 280w handling capacity @ 8ohms mono

2-4x12 cabs, at least 160w handling capacity @ 16ohms mono

here's my two cents.....buy a randall RS412XL100 cab, run it at 4ohms 400W, and you won't need a second cab!!!! THAT WILL BE LOUD!!!

so lets say i bought 2 1960's, and plugged them both into the back of the head, with the cabs at their 16 ohm setting. Would that be ok?? I have seen so much about cutting impedance etc. that like, two 16's is actually 8 ohms at 600 watts (since each is 300 each.) Or lets say I get two 8 ohm 280 watt cabs. Could I plug in both at the same time to the back of the head? Then would it come back to be 4 ohm output into 560 watts? Confusion = me

you are half right, half wrong.....if you set your cab to 16ohms, each output of the amp would be pushing 140w (i made a mistake on the original wattage i posted @ 16ohms, it's actually 140w)....so if both cabs are set at 16ohms, with a speaker cable running from each output on the head to each input on the cab, you would end up at 8ohms @ 280w. so that would work.

just fyi.....on the V2/T2 heads.....each output is internally connected to each other. so if you just plugged in one of those cabs at 16ohms with one wire coming from the first speaker output on the head to the 16ohm mono input of the cab, you would be running 140w@16ohms. however, because the two outputs on the head are connected, as soon as you plug in the second cab at 16ohms mono, the amp detects the connection and will then switch to 280w@8ohms. so when you double the load (2 cabs) you cut the impedance in half. even though the cabs are set @ 16ohms, the double load the will drop the amps impedance to 8ohms, but each individual cab will be getting 16ohms each....does that make sense?? or did i confuse you more??

so let's recap....the cabs would be receiving 140w each (set a 16ohms mono) but the amp would be pushing 140w@16ohms x 2 = 280w@4ohms.

hope i helped!!!!

to answer the last question you asked.....if you got 2 8ohm 280w cabs, you could run a wire from each output on the amp to the 8ohm mono input of the cabs, that would work, let me show you why:

each cab at 8ohms would be asking for 280w each. because your doubling the load (2cabs). the amp would detect this double load, and it would be pushing 480w@4ohms, but each cab would be getting 240w@8ohms. so again, the amp would be giving out a total of 480w@4ohms, but that would get split between the 2 cabs, 240w each @ 8ohms.

in closing, yes, that setup would work:)