Randall V2 clean channel doesn't work, little to no volume

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wookieslayer

Reaction score
Okay so this happened to me and my guitarist when we first got the amp. Basically we were jamming on the amp after maybe 1.5 hours, and there was all the sudden more feedback and squealing, then switched to the clean channel and there was little to no output or volume; also the overdrive channels seemed noisier.

I e-mailed Randall and they told me to replace the ECC81 tube in the buffer. Just got my Penta 12AT7 in the mail today and there is no difference in the clean channel. Still little to no output, have to crank the levels to get any type of volume from it, and it sounds thin, crappy and distorted. But, unless it's just placebo the new 12at7 seemed to quiet the overdrive channels' hiss a bit... but the old JJ ECC81 did look "darker" or more used than the new tube :roll:

TL;DR

any idea why the clean channel doesn't work? Blown capacitor or fuse? Should I try replacing the other preamp tubes one by one, even though the clean channel is SS?

thanks... any help is appreciated.

for shits and grins you can try spraying a little contact cleaner on a cable and and in putting it in/out of the effects loop. If it works, I'm a genius. If it doesn't, I'm just another random ******* on the boards.

haha thanks man. I've thought bout the contact cleaner. I'm gonna try it on the pots and inputs and see if anything changes but I e-mailed Randall and they said to take it to a tech lol.

will update this thread when anything changes