V2 archetype on valvestate speakers???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eighty

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just received my new V2 archetype und tried the mic-eliminator output direct in the micpreamp of my soundcard but that sounded ... well ... no soooo good. ;-)

I also have a marshall valvestate 8280 with a broken ampsection but it still has the two speakers. So i am thinking of plugging the V2 into the speakers of the marshall.

The question is: does this work/make sense?

Since the V2 is my first noncombo/nonsimulation amp i have NO IDEA about watts and ohms and stuff. With other words: help Help HELP!!!

eighty said:
Hello everyone,

I just received my new V2 archetype und tried the mic-eliminator output direct in the micpreamp of my soundcard but that sounded ... well ... no soooo good. ;-)

I also have a marshall valvestate 8280 with a broken ampsection but it still has the two speakers. So i am thinking of plugging the V2 into the speakers of the marshall.

The question is: does this work/make sense?

Since the V2 is my first noncombo/nonsimulation amp i have NO IDEA about watts and ohms and stuff. With other words: help Help HELP!!!
The V2 is a 400 watt amplifier, so you'd need a cab that can handle at least that many watts to run the head. Chances are, your Valvestate can handle maybe 100-150 watts total. I wouldn't try it unless you'd like to try and blow up the speakers :D

I wouldn't try it unless you'd like to try and blow up the speakers

That was what i was guessing too but i've heard things like "Just keep the ohms correct. If you don't get too loud it will work with 100 watt-speakers." So with every info i get my dumbness grows.

By the way: The speakers are G12T Celestions (8 ohms i guess) and the valvestate had 100 watts.

eighty said:
I wouldn't try it unless you'd like to try and blow up the speakers

That was what i was guessing too but i've heard things like "Just keep the ohms correct. If you don't get too loud it will work with 100 watt-speakers." So with every info i get my dumbness grows.

By the way: The speakers are G12T Celestions (8 ohms i guess) and the valvestate had 100 watts.
I agree you should get the ohms right, and dunno about the volume thing. You could try, I guess, but I wouldn't do it with anything less than 200 watts and wouldn't turn the volume up past like, 2.

First of all, thanks for the help Shinozoku!

Meanwhile i have another (weird) idea. Lets assume, the valvestate works properly (or i use a comparable amp). If i use the slave-output of the V2 and go into the return of the effects-loop with the dry/wet knob on 100% wet, this should work, does it? So the valvestate is used just as a poweramp-cabinet-section.

The thing is i want to find a workaround to get the randall heard for practise and at moderate volume and NOT spend money on an expensive cabinet ... mostly because i don't have that money. :D

psh! you'll be putting the power section to waste if you do that and the power sections on the T2's/V2's are wicked! At 8 ohms those heads are actually only about 220-250w, so you can run the head at about 1/3volume without worry of blowing 100watts worth of speakers... and still have some clean headroom as well!

don't use the marshall power section , just he speakers, a 400 watt ss amp can't hang with a 100 watt tube amp. its not even 400 watts anyway. match your ohms and you'll be fine, you'll hear the speakers if they are working too hard