Randall vs Engl

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarvillain

Reaction score
which amp would be better for metal: the randall t2 or the engl fireball

My main beef with the fireball is that the gain knob is for both channels and the randall's second channel is more of an overdrive than distortion (i think-correct me if im wrong) so which amp do you think would better of for metal

Find somewhere where you can try them both out and make your own mind, they're completely different amps soundwise and feelwise, so its really down to which one you get on better with...

IMO the T2 is chunkier, but smoother, and the Engl has a really aggressive distortion and is kinda your face melting death metal sound, but lacks beef...

Actually:

www.myspace.com/tonnemetal - Listen to Fear of Reprisal and Honourbound, both done with the T2

www.myspace.com/helikaonband - This is is an Engl being used on a recording I am currently producing - early days, but the guitar is pretty raw..

Dan

Having owned the Fireball, which I think was one of the best metal amps you can buy, it's always going to be a great choice.
I should have a T2 on the way next week, they are great, however I'm sure the Fireball will always out do it on tone.

Even in both the recordings in your link, the T2's were weaker than the Fireball.

On a plus side, they both sound great, you can get a Fireball for around ?600, and a T2 for around ?400-500

You can't really go wrong.

I dont really think that they are close enough in sound to compare.

I was goofin with them this mornin at the store,

I think they both do similar things, but I dont think they are anything alike, if that makes sense..

the ENGL has its own sound, and the T2/V2 has its own..

they both overlap in spots, but generally they are very distinct.

I'd get the T2/V2 just on the merit of not having to replace power tubes.

Daryl said:
I'd get the T2/V2 just on the merit of not having to replace power tubes.

you have got to be joking.

listen, i love randall amps. i have a holy grail randall solid state amp that i will NEVER let go of. i've had all sorts of randalls. but telling someone that you would buy an amp because you wouldn't have to change power tubes?

to the o.p, deff try the engl. i have a powerball, and i love it. i had 3 randall v2's and sold them all off, way too noisy. replaced them with the powerball, a diamond nitrox, and a fja modded mesa recto. way better, more brutal tones. there is a reason tubes are still king.

if you do decide to go tube and wanna stay with randall, TRY the RT series randalls. the master volume may trip you out a little since it has to be cranked way up to get loud, but the tones are there, and fairly cheap.

or try a used MTS series head and a couple of good mods.

personally, for me the t2/v2 was a stepping stone to a real tube head.