GM Ultra... My Desert Island Module

That oh so special place to discuss Pete's (OKstrat) module modifications.

Moderator: okstrat

SALVAGED
RM100

GM Ultra... My Desert Island Module

Post by SALVAGED » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:17 am

Ok... This is gonna sound like fluff... but I really feel this way about this module... This thing has replaced my GM Slodano, JF MarkX, Peavey Rockmaster, and Engl E530.

The GM Ultra has an awesome blend of characteristics of ALL these amps I listed. It sings liquid leads like the MarkX... grinds like the E530... it's thick/wide like the Slodano... and tight like the Rockmaster. Best of all, it sounds killer with ALL of my guitars... instead of just favoring a certain axe.

Now, it can't "nail" these other amps (and wasn't designed to)... but there are certain attributes of those amps that I LOVED... and I'm hearing them ALL in the Gigmods Ultra.

Ok, so it's kinda noisy... but when I close my eyes, it's no different than most high gain heads I've owned/played.

Another thing I love about this Ultra, is how "head-like" it sounds... not processed, like a lot of rack preamps. I think it's because the circuit doesn't try to reduce all the noise, like other mods... don't get me wrong, other mods sound killer too... but this one has a "feel" to it, that I'm not getting out of my other modules... and I think it "might" be because of the "clean/noisless" modifications are removing some of the tone/feel WITH the noise. Personally, I can live with some noise... I just give a quick spin to the guitar volume (Mustaine-style) when I'm not playing.

Conclusion... This IS my desert island module... and I would be content, if this was the only module I owned (well, maybe along with a good clean).

Anyways, there ya have it! I found love. 8) :lol:
Jackson KE2
Charvel So-Cal
B.C. Rich JRV 7
Egnater M4
Dualie Mods: JF 1776, JF PRIMATE, JF Rverb, JF Mach-X
GSP1101
Mesa 50/50
Pair of 4X12 cabs w/ WGS speakers (Reapers & Retros in an X-pattern)

hisroyalsucculence
RM20

Post by hisroyalsucculence » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:17 am

So, you think you might want to sell it to me? Seriously though, any word on gigmods still being in business?! The modded ultra sounds AMAZING.

SALVAGED
RM100

Post by SALVAGED » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:13 pm

hisroyalsucculence wrote:So, you think you might want to sell it to me? Seriously though, any word on gigmods still being in business?! The modded ultra sounds AMAZING.
You'd be amazed at how many offers I get for this thing! :lol: I absolutely LOVE this module... I really have no intentions to ever sell it... but IF I do, you're about 7th in line... :lol:

As far as I know, Gigmods isn't active anymore... which is really too bad... He made very nice mods...
Jackson KE2
Charvel So-Cal
B.C. Rich JRV 7
Egnater M4
Dualie Mods: JF 1776, JF PRIMATE, JF Rverb, JF Mach-X
GSP1101
Mesa 50/50
Pair of 4X12 cabs w/ WGS speakers (Reapers & Retros in an X-pattern)

hisroyalsucculence
RM20

Post by hisroyalsucculence » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 pm

SALVAGED wrote:
hisroyalsucculence wrote:So, you think you might want to sell it to me? Seriously though, any word on gigmods still being in business?! The modded ultra sounds AMAZING.
I know, so good! I noticed you have a Voodoo module in your rig as well -- how do those compare to the gigmods stuff? It looks like that's my only other option short of getting lucky on ebay.

rblyn
Lynch Box

Post by rblyn » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:40 am

There was a gigmods Ultra for sale a few weeks ago and the guy lowered the price enough to where he was giving it away. I still dont know if anyone took it or not....Its all a matter of taste- I've tried a couple of Gigmods modules, as well as every modder available and will never get another- Not for me....Voodoo's are great, Trace's work is excellent, especially his Marshall Jose mods...same with Salvation, JF, SG...all do very good work and each have at least one "masterpiece" must have mod out there- so many better options out there. Just my two cents-
RM100/GT KT88's/Winged C EL34's x 2
RM20CP
Randall XL 4x12 x2/Boss GT10
"only the best" mods!

jayd41
RM100

Post by jayd41 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:45 pm

rblyn wrote:There was a gigmods Ultra for sale a few weeks ago and the guy lowered the price enough to where he was giving it away. I still dont know if anyone took it or not....
Yeah, that was me. I played it again before anyone bit and realized I'd be a fool to sell it for what I had lowered the price to.

Not to say I wouldn't sell it if the right offer came along, but it is a great module and definitely unique among all my JF, SG, and Savation modules.
RM20h w/ Voodoo HG Jose
Blackface Revision F Dual Rectifier/Tremoverb/Road King/Express 5:25+/Kafel S150/JSX/Chadwick Series 1
Mesa/Voodoo/Port City/Randall/Peavey/VHT Cabs