MR SCARY ..petes mod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtr31

Reaction score
I wanted to wait till after a few rehearsals to give a review on this one .
Initially when it arrived I had a power amp failure and had to take it into the shop .and actually just got it back a few weeks ago .

I currently have the RM4 loaded with 2 Egnaters and Friedman modded superV.

I have to say thanks to Pete .this mod is AWESOME and blows me away..
Pete said 80's in a box when he was testing it and he was right .

The Ratt,Lynch ,Whitesnake all here.
Its just a really cool mod with a great feel as well .not as high gain as some of the others I have tried . but very articulate ..and quiet as a mouse(Pete dont know how you did that) ..Really no need for a gate.

The one thing I will say to anyone considering the Scary is that this mod really does not sound good scooped ,it gets muddy.The mids have to be around noon or higher to open up the sound .and then you get this open crunch that really is very almost elastic feeling .it just way cool .

At the same time while you do not have a ton of Low end it is tight and percussive .

Compared to my Egnaters the Scary is way less compressed more open.
going into El34's it really has a super Hot plexi vibe..

Thanks again Pete .this one ROCKS!!!!

I find it hard to understand subjective comments without knowing alittle more on how you generate your sound.
Pickups?

Sorry ..
I use Ibanez and Robin guitars .Dimarzio tone zones in the bridge.
the power amp is a Marshall El34 loaded...

The Scary will do a lot of things, sounds great with my single coils as well
BUT IMO it excels at dishing out punchy hard rock riffs. if you are familar with Lynch on Under lock and key the guitar tone has a very prominent mid growl .the Scary does this, which may or may not be desirable depending on your style

I dont think its great for country, and certainly is not the gainiest module so there are better choices for metal..

But I love it

Hey man thanks for the review.

I just got a Mr Scary and while it is a great module, to me it is a little too close to the SL+. I find the Scary to be a slightly bit more tight, open with a bit more upper mid grind - but I was hoping for a little more! Back off the mids + bass and increase the treble on the SL+ and it gets very close to the Scary.

Yeah...Under Lock and Key, that tone haunts me - that torchured sounding midrange is what I am after. There may also be alot of power amp + speaker mojo going on there as well.

As I am new to MTS, I am still in testing mode but it looks like a Pete modded Scary is the ticket.

Mike

I think the Scary is based on the Sl+ just a little different .

IMO both the Brahma and Scary have that midrange growl from ULAK.
if you play a hot humbucker through greenback loaded cab ,with el34s cranked in the power section ..that is pretty much his tone .

Pete's mod brings it out even a bit more..

S

I am completely in love with my Pete modded Mr. Scary, I liked when it was stock, but I felt it was missing something. Now it...it goes to 11 :wink: