Modded Utra XL gain problem

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harsh

Reaction score
Hi All...I got a Friedman modded Ultra XL from Mailman a couple of days ago. It sounded fantastic when I tried it. This morning, in the middle of practice, the volume and gain suddenly dropped by 50-60%. Thought it might be a bad tube so I replaced the tubes with a couple of new JJ's that I had lying around, checked to see if anything was loose. Everything looks fine, but the gain and volume are still low.

Any ideas how I can fix this? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I have done a few repairs for forum members, most of the time problems like this. If you swapped out the tubes and nothing fixes it, try moving the volume pot itself around. I have repaired several of these and they were VERY well packed. The damage can easily happen in transport and a trace can break. If you find moving the pot around is the issue, hit me up with a PM and we can chat about repairs.

Hi Jaded Faith...I would have taken you up on the repair offer but I live in London and it'd cost me a lot to ship it to the US and back.

I've already checked the gain and volume pot connections. The pots work fine - the gain and volume increase and decrease but it's just not driving like it was. Its not as super high gain anymore.

Any other ideas on what to look for?

I had that exact same issue with my SL+ shortly after getting my amp. Turns out one of my power tubes wasn't in all the way. Pushed it back in and biased it correctly later, no more problems. Maybe check that out :)