UltraXL arrived - I am a bit under-whelmed

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGKAHUNA

Reaction score
I had high expectations for the UltraXL. It arrived and I took it for a spin in my Lynch Box and was not impressed. Its got gain but seems to lack something. Doesn't really have any oomph if you know what I mean. Lots of high gain sizzle and a tiny set of ballz. Could it be the JJE34L's? I am sure preamp tubes might flavor the gain a bit. Anybody else have this issue? Is there a Mod that beefs up this module? Thanks!!!

I had the exact same reaction as you did. It was just too smooth for me. I had an U/XL for about a week and never understood the hype. By no means did I think it sounded like crap, though.

Check the value of the C3 cap. If it's .001, you may want to try .0015 or .0022? This will help bring in some bottom end and still remain tight.

you need a 22 cap, tung sols sound beefy in it, get a qaud of kt-88's or 6l6's as well, the e34l's may not have enough bass depending on your cab.

maximus1 said:
you need a 22 cap, tung sols sound beefy in it, get a qaud of kt-88's or 6l6's as well, the e34l's may not have enough bass depending on your cab.

Are the KT88's plug and play? I will definitely look into the preamp tube as well. Cab is a G-Flex 212.

I wasn't really impressed with the rythm tone out of the UXL either, but I do think it's a really good lead module even stock. I guess you could make it chunkier with the mods if you are looking to use it for rythm work.

maximus1 said:

I Second that!!!! I also used the kt88/ kt 77s running thought a sovtek cab that had great results. Good luck on your tone, my fellow forum friend!!!!

I think it sounds killer - running with some heavy gauge strings on Drop C on my Les Paul.. It doesn't have that really annoying buzzy/fizzy sound I hear a lot from some other metal tones. It is smooth and tight, and for me at least, has a ton of balls.

insightibanez said:
maximus1 said:

I Second that!!!! I also used the kt88/ kt 77s running thought a sovtek cab that had great results. Good luck on your tone, my fellow forum friend!!!!
I 3rd that

droptrd said:
insightibanez said:
maximus1 said:

I 3rd that

So a capictor mod and re-tube huh? I am game. On the KT's....is the suggestion a quad of 88's or 77's or a pair of both together?

BIGKAHUNA said:
droptrd said:
insightibanez said:
maximus1 said:

I 3rd that

So a capictor mod and re-tube huh? I am game. On the KT's....is the suggestion a quad of 88's or 77's or a pair of both together?

KT88s in the middle, and 77s on each side. :)

103_0418.jpg

Man the KT-88's are just beasts!
I had some in my amp but it was a little "too much"
so I went back to the KT77's
They sound great.
Anyone know if they are causing amps to crap out like the el34's? :?

insightibanez said:
BIGKAHUNA said:
droptrd said:
insightibanez said:
maximus1 said:

I 3rd that

KT88s in the middle, and 77s on each side. :)

103_0418.jpg

Thats interesting...sorry if this is a stupid question but does it matter if the 88's are in the middle or on the outside? Also....why not just a quad of 88's?

okstrat said:
Is this module stock or one of my mods?

I'm fairly sure it was a stock mod which leads me to believe it's either posted in the wrong forum or a desperate plea for you to help him :D

Rellik said:
okstrat said:
What can you do for an Ultra XL anyways?

Make it into a slodano, more clarity, more gain, more warmth, tighten the low end, more low end overall, revoice the mids, etc... the Ultra and XL are pretty tweakable modules. There's a LOT you can do with one.

Pete

insightibanez said:
JKD said:
okstrat said:

I'm fairly sure it was a stock mod which leads me to believe it's either posted in the wrong forum or a desperate plea for you to help him :D

I 2nd thsat , theres no way I could be one of Petes Monsters!!!!!

Its not....if you note the last sentence of my post ask what mod will beef up the XL.

BIGKAHUNA said:
okstrat said:

This is a stock Module....no mod. I am hoping that a mod for the XL will change my opinion of it.

Hm, heard my Slodano clips?

http://www.gigmods.com/Page8.html

Pete