Preventing the midi fuse/chip from blowing up

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0jo

Reaction score
I think most here are familiar with this issue, if not, here's the skinny:
If you plug in your RF3 or RF4 while the amp is on, it creates a power surge (due to the pedal being powered through the midi cable), blowing the midi-fuse or sometimes even the chip itself (don't know how true the latter is).

I've heard of two possible solutions:

- replacing the fuse in the amp with a resetting fuse.
- adding a cap in the footswitch that prevents the surge in the first place.

These have been documented in other topics, I'll see if I can dig those up!

To fix the fuse blowing issue on the RM100 & RM4 Midi PCB's, replace the "round" fuse with a polyswitch resettable fuse.

I replaced the 1.25A midi phantom power fuse with 1.30A Tyco PTC Resettable Fuse (Mouser p/n:650-RXEF065) after it had blown in my RM4 and I haven't had a problem since.

tuna141 said:
To fix the fuse blowing issue on the RM100 & RM4 Midi PCB's, replace the "round" fuse with a polyswitch resettable fuse.

I replaced the 1.25A midi phantom power fuse with 1.30A Tyco PTC Resettable Fuse (Mouser p/n:650-RXEF065) after it had blown in my RM4 and I haven't had a problem since.
Are you saying that it is as easy as a part swap. or is there more to it?

It's just a simple part swap: just unsolder/remove the stock fuse and install the resettable fuse.

I've had mine installed in my RM4 for months with no issues or blown fuses. I haven't gotten around to doing the mod on my RM100 yet, but will next time I have it open or the stock fuse blows.

Latest posts