Are Carbon Comps Worth The Trouble?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djdayson

Reaction score
Wow, great section, thanks for adding it!

A friend and I have built a couple of custom modules including a Matchless Chieftena and Vox AC30TB, and we've recapped and tweaked some stock Randall modules such as the Tweed, Deluxe, Top Boost, and Plexi (as you can tell we use mid-gain to clean/breakup type tones).

What we haven't tried is adding Carbon Comp resistors?

Anyone have success doing this?

If yes, where (Plate and Cathode, or...)?

I've noticed the biggest changes at the Plates and B+ supplies. The difference is a little softer, and a bit hairy, if that makes sense. Mostly, I can tell the biggest difference if/when I use a lot of CCs, which is also true if I mostly use metal.

It really depends on who you ask. Craig from CEC amplifiers says he didn't notice much difference in anything but noise level when trying CC and MF resistors.

However as SacredGroove said, they make the most difference in places where they receive the strongest signal, like in plates and B+ supplies.

Thanks all...

What SG says is what I've always thought about vintage amps containing CC's, a little softer and more hairy LOL!

I've read where their nonlinear traits are most pronounced in the places with the greatest voltage swings?

I guess I'll give them a try and report back, thanks again.

djdayson said:
Thanks all...

What SG says is what I've always thought about vintage amps containing CC's, a little softer and more hairy LOL!

I've read where their nonlinear traits are most pronounced in the places with the greatest voltage swings?

I guess I'll give them a try and report back, thanks again.
This is my observation and experience as well. Often the mojo gain is offset by noise, so choose your uses wisely.

The best place to use them i've consistently read is the plate load on pretubes, not necessarily all of them. Their resistance vary with voltage and heat.

In our valve juniors people would put them on the plate of the second gain stage.

If you put them everywhere you'll have a noisy POJ!