Mod suggestions to get SL + into AFD territory

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
Hey guys testing the knowledge waters on this one. My initial thought was to use the layouts floating around on the LEvi 36/ Caswell 39 amp and apply it to an SL+ module. I have all the gain I need on my SL + but now I want to tone shape and go for that slightly nasal mid hump and slightly compressed AFD tone.

The only thing I have done to the module soo far was add a bypass cap to give it a tad more mids alla Mr. Scary. The Judge and Brahma modules I have seem to really have the tonal characteristics that I find desirable, I just want to squeeze more gain out of those and add a bit of compression/saturation (or whatever you want to call the AFD tone). Can anyone suggest what I may want to change on the SL+ to get there? I was thinking of comparing the values of the resistors and caps in my brahma and going from there. Suggestions?

In the Brahma, is there a resistor in R7? If so, try removing it and see if that gets you where you want to be :)

Jeff Hilligan built an SL2x "GnR" mod on a dual Egnater...I wonder if he could do a quick workover on an SL+ single channel?

Even if he doesn't offer it, he might be good with advice...the SL2x nailed it.

Jeff Hilligan built an SL2x "GnR" mod on a dual Egnater...I wonder if he could do a quick workover on an SL+ single channel?

I had a listen to that module on youtube.. sounded pretty good! I didn't like the A channel at all but the B channel caught my interest. I was surprised that the module is versatile enough to cover both AFD ish tones and early LYnch tones but again if the 36/39 levi or caswell amp was used by both Slash and Lynch, then that would make total sense. Anyone know how I can get in touch with him? Even his suggestions here would be most welcome as I am sure it is a voicing thing I am after. (seeing as the gain on the SL+ is plenty)

Shinozoku, I'm also going to try what you suggest. I bet I could convert my SL+ to a brahma easily enough if i put them side by side and take note of what is different!

Just an update if anyone cares.. I got in touch with Mr. Hilligan and he is going to mod my SL+ to the B channel of the SL2X. I'll post results when I get it back. I thought the youtub clips were really close.. a tad more gain than i would use but the tone is def there. Should be interesting to see what happens..I'll jam on some slash riffs and record them for everyone when I get it back.

Let me know how that turns out. I was thinking the same thing either with the SL+ or buying a single channel Egnater SL++, but would that be essentially the same thing?

Yup that would essentially be the same thing and prob much cheaper to just get your SL+ modded. I'm not sure what the turn around will be on the mod but it should be getting there Monday so hopefully not as long as the Friedman 6-12 week for a modded module wait. I'll throw some clips up too..