Blackface module.. good ol boring clean module. ..

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
Gents, can anything be done to a blackface module? I don't play clean much.. any chance it can become something a little more useful? A gritty Vox or Hiwatt type module? I notice when you crank the gain you can get some ugly spank and grind.. sounds like it might have some promise. Thoughts?

Can always try taking R7 out. Not sure if that resistor does the same thing in the BF as it does in high gainers, but it's worth a try. I modded mine to be closer to a Deluxe and it gave me a bit more gain. Just check the Deluxe part sheet on Grailtone and swap out the couple of resisters that are different and see what happens.

I had some nice crunchy tones until I put a 5751 in it and removed the electrolytic cap in the middle of the board. Now I can max the gain on this thing and only get the first signs of hair when I try to break the strings with my pick :D

Here's a component-by-component comparison of the Blackface and Deluxe modules with black face plates. First value is Blackface, second value is Deluxe.

R7 0 220K
R17 4.7K 1/2W 1.8K 1/2W
R26 2.0M 1.0M
C10 47pF Empty
C14 270pF 220pF

Hope this helps.

Shinozoku said:
Can always try taking R7 out. Not sure if that resistor does the same thing in the BF as it does in high gainers, but it's worth a try.
DO NOT DO THIS! It is not the same as the HG PCB's and must be there.

That module would make a perfect donor for my new Super Clean. Official details will be released this week and it is WELL worth it. Priced right as well.

Well I might have to throw it out on the market.. my understanding is that clean modules essentially stay clean. The PCB's for most of the clean modules are designed that way and there is no preamp section (for lack of better word) to tweak for more gain correct? While you are at it, get some clips up of your RR mod!

Jaded Faith said:
Shinozoku said:
Can always try taking R7 out. Not sure if that resistor does the same thing in the BF as it does in high gainers, but it's worth a try.
DO NOT DO THIS! It is not the same as the HG PCB's and must be there.

That module would make a perfect donor for my new Super Clean. Official details will be released this week and it is WELL worth it. Priced right as well.
Thanks for the correction :) I wasn't sure of what the function was. I was hesitant to even put it on there. It would have been best of me to simply pose the question as to whether it had the same function or not.