VH on 10 and variac'd characteristic mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
Panama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxA4WgIZmO8 . There def. does not seem to be much gain there.. maybe an eq pedal kicked in for the solo (the tapping part is where i def hear an increase in gain) but bottom line, this is the sound of a MArshall on 10 and likely variac'd with minimal component swapping and a reasonably hot pup.

I wonder if a mod could be done to say a Brahma (because out of the box I feel it is the brightest old MArshall on 10) to mimic the sonic qualities of a variac which pushes an amp into the "Splatty" sound you hear when you dig into higer notes on chords. I know that when I had my plexi xlone running and i dimed it, I could get that splatty feel from the amp. So the challenge, can this be recreated? I know their is the Gigmod Brown but while excellent, I don't think digs in as much as the real "brown" does. The amp sounds like it is on its way out. Would be cool if someone could figure out a way to get this type of response from a module... possible or no? I guess the sound is "about to explode".

Funny, I built a fuzz with a pot that allows me to turn down the voltage, combined with a germanium booster it get's that same kind of reponse.

It might be hard to reproduce with normal techniques, but how about actually (maybe only slightly) starving the V2 power tube and hitting it as hard as possible with the V1 tube?

Interesting, but how in god's name would that be done? resistor in line before V2 to cut voltage supplied to the tube?

Kapo_Polenton said:
Interesting, but how in god's name would that be done? resistor in line before V2 to cut voltage supplied to the tube?
Not a clue mate! ;)
Someone with more knowledge shoud have to comment on that.

I just know tubes can be starved, creating those "symptoms" ..
Of course EVH starved his entire amp, but a starved tube should still display the effects somewhat..

Latest posts