Orange Graphic MkII Module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djdayson

Reaction score
Anyone ever attempt an Orange Graphic Mk II with the switchable coupling cap and Baxandall tone stack?

Thinking of building one and was wondering if anyone else has any advice/success?

Contact Anthony at Salvation mods, he has a Mandarine Graphic which fits your description.

I have an Orange Graphic listed in the classifieds. It's the first item pictured.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12911

Forgot Drew listed one recently - he's one of the best on here to deal with hands down. If you are interested in the Orange Graphic, Drew can have it to you in a few days, snag it from him!

Thanks Guys, I'll think about it?

How do you like it?

What is that additional switch for?

Got any clips of it?

Thanks...

No clips. I'm not really set up to do clips at the moment.

It's very classic orange. I have a Stonerverb and a Stoner AD as well and having this third one is just a bit overkill. I just got it a little while ago and while it's different from the other Mandarines, just not enough different to justify keeping. I figured I'd let the Graphic go as there are not many of these floating around the states and it's brand new. Assumed it would be the easiest sell.

As far as the additional switch goes, I'm not sure right now. I only played this module when I checked it in and for the life of me can't remember exactly what that switch does. :roll: As I recall, I was having too much fun playing with the 6-way rotary switch. :lol:

Thanks for the help. The Graphic Mk II is very different and rather unique due to it's Baxandall tone stack and those switchable coupling caps, and it should sound somewhat different than the modern orange modules which are pretty Marshall like (plus it has less gain etc).

Seeing that it's used there's no way I'd pay $400 for it, though I'll offer $275 shipped to SF CA (94002). I know you want more and you'll likely get it, but if you don't and you want to move it going forward remember my offer and PM me.

I'll most likely build my own though as my bass player is an EE, and we've already built our own custom RM2, plus very accurate Matchless Chieften and Vox AC30TB modules, and re-cap'd the Plexi and Deluxe modules we have (I'm a pushed mid-gain kind of guy, no high gain etc).

drewiv said:
No clips. I'm not really set up to do clips at the moment.

It's very classic orange. I have a Stonerverb and a Stoner AD as well and having this third one is just a bit overkill. I just got it a little while ago and while it's different from the other Mandarines, just not enough different to justify keeping. I figured I'd let the Graphic go as there are not many of these floating around the states and it's brand new. Assumed it would be the easiest sell.

As far as the additional switch goes, I'm not sure right now. I only played this module when I checked it in and for the life of me can't remember exactly what that switch does. :roll: As I recall, I was having too much fun playing with the 6-way rotary switch. :lol:

djdayson said:
Seeing that it's used there's no way I'd pay $400 for it, though I'll offer $275 shipped to SF CA (94002).
I appreciate the offer, but unfortunately we are oceans apart on the value of this particular module. Salvations don't sell for under $300 (rarely under $350), let alone a rare and brand new one.

Yeah, sorry about that, though this is DIY so we're going to roll our own.

Good luck with your sale, your's definitely looks like a very cool module (Anthony at Salvation does amazing work)!

drewiv said:
djdayson said:
Seeing that it's used there's no way I'd pay $400 for it, though I'll offer $275 shipped to SF CA (94002).
I appreciate the offer, but unfortunately we are oceans apart on the value of this particular module. Salvations don't sell for under $300 (rarely under $350), let alone a rare and brand new one.

djdayson said:
Yeah, sorry about that, though this is DIY so we're going to roll our own.

Good luck with your sale, your's definitely looks like a very cool module (Anthony at Salvation does amazing work)!

I totally understand. I don't have the skills or the time to get them to build something like this. Therefore, I'm forced to buy them.

If I could build it myself, I probably would. I wish you all the best in creating your own.

Anthony, as with all the professional modders, does fantastic work.

Bought a used Plexi locally to convert, and the parts excepting the front panel and knobs have shipped from Digi-Key.

Can't wait to hear the Baxandall tone stack and FAC (switched coupling caps).

fwiw: I have an Orange Graphic..which Salvation made for me. Mine was the prototype he made for himself and then sold it to me..which saved me some wait time. And I was cool with that.
It is my clean module. I certainly can make it do crunchy and distorted sounds but I have other modules for that.
I find its a versatile module and the tone stack is really unique among modules. Its really more a filtering kind of eq, rather than the standard eq. It IS musical, and that's what I like about it. Having owned an Original 1973 OR120 that's what I was seeking..well to honest its not that..but what could be??? The original OR120 weighed a ton with the internal components and the tone pot alone (the F.A.C. dial) had like 48 wires going to it!!!!
But Salvation does a good,small,light,cheap approximation.
I am not selling mine. But I thought you might want a review..so I shared my thoughts. Clips? I never made any..and dont have time for any right now. I am so bogged down.
But hey,.... I help where I can.
GtrGeorge

Thanks, appreciate your thoughts GtrGeorge!

I haven't played one since the 70's, but the Baxandall tone stack/FAC intrigued me as it's certainly one of the most flexible guitar amp EQ's ever in a vintage voiced amp. Roll down the bass and treble and you have a mid boost, roll them up and you have a mid scoop, and dial in the bottom end with the FAC.

The Baxandall bass and treble EQ is boost/cut, rather than cut only like the vast majority of guitar amp tone stacks, while the FAC changes the last coupling cap in the preamp section, there by rolling off bottom end post distortion but pre PI).

I'm not sure how I'll use it yet though I mainly use mid-gain sounds pushed with a clean boost or pedal with it's gain minimized etc.

The conversion parts excepting front panel and knobs should be here in a few days.

Thanks again...

GtrGeorge! said:
fwiw: I have an Orange Graphic..which Salvation made for me. Mine was the prototype he made for himself and then sold it to me..which saved me some wait time. And I was cool with that.
It is my clean module. I certainly can make it do crunchy and distorted sounds but I have other modules for that.
I find its a versatile module and the tone stack is really unique among modules. Its really more a filtering kind of eq, rather than the standard eq. It IS musical, and that's what I like about it. Having owned an Original 1973 OR120 that's what I was seeking..well to honest its not that..but what could be??? The original OR120 weighed a ton with the internal components and the tone pot alone (the F.A.C. dial) had like 48 wires going to it!!!!
But Salvation does a good,small,light,cheap approximation.
I am not selling mine. But I thought you might want a review..so I shared my thoughts. Clips? I never made any..and dont have time for any right now. I am so bogged down.
But hey,.... I help where I can.
GtrGeorge

Your description of the tone stack was PERFECT. I ambeginning to wonder if different tubes would make tis module evencloser to what I used to have.Not sure. Its the trebleI miss..and many posts Ive read state that certain tubes can provide that..so maybe I'll try that,
and fwiw: the bright switch broke not lonfter I got it. Its not a big deal and salvation would prob fix it for free..but I just dont want to wait for a fix...callme impatient..or just lazy..its not a big deal.
But I do love me some OR120 sound!!!!!!!!!!!
GtrGeorge
keep me in the loop on your OR adventures

The difference in brightness can also be attributed to the original Orange presence circuit which included an inductor/coil of some sort, though some people have told me that removing it didn't change anything?

The bright switch is an easy repair if you're comfortable soldering PCB's? If not, any reasonable tech in your local area should have no problem repairing it for you relatively cheaply (no need to send it back to the EU IMO).

Will do, can't wait to hear it myself!

GtrGeorge! said:
Your description of the tone stack was PERFECT. I ambeginning to wonder if different tubes would make tis module evencloser to what I used to have.Not sure. Its the trebleI miss..and many posts Ive read state that certain tubes can provide that..so maybe I'll try that,
and fwiw: the bright switch broke not lonfter I got it. Its not a big deal and salvation would prob fix it for free..but I just dont want to wait for a fix...callme impatient..or just lazy..its not a big deal.
But I do love me some OR120 sound!!!!!!!!!!!
GtrGeorge
keep me in the loop on your OR adventures

That presence circuit must have done something..or they wouldnt have put it in there!
My amp had a beautiful crystal high end!!!
GtrGeorge

Generally speaking, do you remember approximately where you used to run the presence on your OR120 (12:00, 3:00 etc)?

I'm curious as I'll likely need use some EQ to make up for it?

Parts arrived excepting front panel and knobs, so we'll start on it this weekend...

GtrGeorge! said:
That presence circuit must have done something..or they wouldnt have put it in there!
My amp had a beautiful crystal high end!!!
GtrGeorge

it was a long time ago..but I think I had it on 1 o clock....like straight up more than that HURT..and less wasnt sparkly.
George

It's built, and it sounds great!

We first forgot a couple of resistors in the tone stack so it wasn't stable, then we learned that we needed to load the tone stack properly to kill some instability at the top end of the treble control, and as always play with the gain a little as the RM2 has a V1 already pre the module etc, but after dialing in all that it sounds fantastic.

Thanks GtrGeorge, I'll try some post module pre-cab presence EQ to duplicate the real thing.

I've only tried it at relatively moderate levels DI'd through the Axe FX's Cab Block(s) running Celestion 20W + 30W 4X12 IR's, and it sounds great.

I've learned that they were sold mostly with Celestion 30W's and Fane's in the EU, though for the US they shipped the Cabs empty and added Eminence speakers here to save on shipping costs etc.

Now I just need a Sacred Groove front panel and some knobs!

GtrGeorge! said:
it was a long time ago..but I think I had it on 1 o clock....like straight up more than that HURT..and less wasnt sparkly.
George

would you sell one of these modules?
and fwiw..I didnt have theoriginal speakers with MY OR120 head..I used whatever I had at the time..and it was always the most amazing crystalline clean sound..nearly Solid state without the non-musicality.
...so tellme mooooooooooooore..
GtrGeorge