RM100 Module Self Noise

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philc

Reaction score
Im not quite sure if this is normal, but what i mean by self noise .. is that without any instrument plugged in, the modules themselves generate quite a bit of audible noise. The strange thing is that it seems to be the modules, I can 'lower' the noise floor by turning the module volumes down and compensating with the master on the amp, but that makes me run the master volume at about 3 o'clock - which kinda scares me for some reason.

My blackface doesn't, it's obv not adding a lot of gain to the signal but does this sound normal ? It's not noticeable at all in a band situation but my old setup was a POD XT run direct into a PA / poweramp/cab and with the gate there was zero noise between when i played/muted.

sounds like a tube issue to me. this happens to the same degree on all modules with exception to the blackface? what if you dial the blackface gain all the way up?

I always notice some noise with my dirtier modules (especially my HBE), but I'm not sure it's to the extent that you seem to be describing. Try changing the input tube (the 12AX7 nearest the input jack - this is actually V1 and all modules use this tube first). Just as a test, try a lower-gain tube (like a 5751) first if you have one.

A POD XT ia a digital imitation of the real thing with built in noise gate
and very fixed parameters even thought it may appear you can "turn it up to eleven." Whereas, a high gain amp is exactly that. Everything gets amplified.
There's no "wrong" setting for the master volume including 5 o'clock.
Many of the amps the MTS modules are patterned from had no master volume to begin with. That means the "master volumes" were wide open to begin with.

If you want the same silence again, a Digitech GSP1101 running with the 4CM works perfectly.

But first yes check out the tubes.

Turns out the PODxt Live was generating the noise. It's not noticeable on the blackface cause there isn't a lot of gain ...

More or less it's convinced me to switch to a full analogue pedal setup and ditch the pod, will lower the noise floor and there wont be any A/D conversion of my guitar tone.

gonna cost me a few hundred... and i gotta learn to tapdance now. ****. It's so **** convenient to have POD presets that can change your RM100 channel, turn on a tubescreamer, turn off a delay and chorus , all with one click.

Does anyone have any experience with the new PODs ? are they tone-sucking monsters in front of a high gain amp?

Philc said:
Turns out the PODxt Live was generating the noise. It's not noticeable on the blackface cause there isn't a lot of gain ...

More or less it's convinced me to switch to a full analogue pedal setup and ditch the pod, will lower the noise floor and there wont be any A/D conversion of my guitar tone.

gonna cost me a few hundred... and i gotta learn to tapdance now. s*&t. It's so **** convenient to have POD presets that can change your RM100 channel, turn on a tubescreamer, turn off a delay and chorus , all with one click.

Does anyone have any experience with the new PODs ? are they tone-sucking monsters in front of a high gain amp?
What effects do you need?

A Digitech GSP1101 could be a great solution, it's completely transparent and also has midi switching and support for the 4CM.

hmm I had to do some research to what 4cm was ... that's exactly what I've been wanting to do, run the delay in post, sounds 10x better for obvious reasons..

I didn't know the new PODs ( and the digitech ) have an adjustable effects send/return .. this changes things.

anyway the only effects i use are a tubescreamer , Pre-EQ, and a delay on cleans rarely. course right now its all in front of the amp and coming from a PODxt live, meaning i can't use delays on leads etc ..

I'm sure the A/D converters are better these days then the PODXT, too.

ill do some more looking, cause ****** you've ruined my dreams of being a 100% analogue snob with a bunch of neat looking pedals.

EDIT : does the 1101 have a convincing tubescreamer sim ? I use it in a modern 'metalcore' sense. IE : Tubscreamer > 5150 ( in my case ultraxl )
with the drive on 0.

m0jo said:
Philc said:

gonna cost me a few hundred... and i gotta learn to tapdance now. s*&t. It's so **** convenient to have POD presets that can change your RM100 channel, turn on a tubescreamer, turn off a delay and chorus , all with one click.

A Digitech GSP1101 could be a great solution, it's completely transparent and also has midi switching and support for the 4CM.

Mojo is right here...GSP1101 is a great solution...4CM is also the way to go for proper placement of effects- I also have been using a Boss GT10 with 4CM (over my TC Electronics Nova effects which does not support 4CM) and it is also very transparent. Very good A/D converter and the tube screamer sim is outstanding. In fact, I A/B'd with the real thing and you cannot tell the difference. It also has six great wah's, has dual Boss Noise Suppressors built in and it's midi so it changes my channels on my RM100. It is the only thing I have on the floor.

rblyn said:
m0jo said:
Philc said:

Mojo is right here...GSP1101 is a great solution...4CM is also the way to go for proper placement of effects- I also have been using a Boss GT10 with 4CM (over my TC Electronics Nova effects which does not support 4CM) and it is also very transparent. Very good A/D converter and the tube screamer sim is outstanding. In fact, I A/B'd with the real thing and you cannot tell the difference. It also has six great wah's, has dual Boss Noise Suppressors built in and it's midi so it changes my channels on my RM100. It is the only thing I have on the floor.

Let me add, Nuno has been using a Boss GT (8? I think) on tour with Rhianna, this is what got me interested.

The GSP1101's tubescreamer is also very good.
There are some different types in there for any need you have.

Latest posts