Upgrade amp internal components? (besides the modules)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegyver

Reaction score
I've popped open my MOD 50 a few times and wondered if there could be a tonal upgrade if I swapped out some of the stock caps for some SOZO mustards or something on the boards beyond the preamp.

Since V1 is located in the amp itself, I was thinking putting top-notch caps might upgrade the sound around that area. I'm not a circuit expert, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Anyone ever upgraded the power/amp-side caps?

You might want to look at upgrading the caps to sozos in V1 but also your modules. I do hear a difference with sozos but not sure it is as night and day as you would be hoping for. In other words, just changing them in one spot may not yield as much difference as changing them throughout. You'd be shaping the tone in the preamp this way. Think of the modules (when they are in) as completing the whole preamp of the circuit. What are you looking for tonally? A lot of folks seem to think that an upgraded output transformer makes more of a difference over a power transformer so that is something to consider as well..

I have a rm100 I'm planning on tricking the **** out of

front to back changes /mods/addons

its gonna be 1 of a kind & will bring the pain !!

FWIW - YES every tube amp can bennefit from changes/upgrades

I once had a PV ultra that I modded to switch the reverb in/out by rerouting
the signal past the reverb branch circuit - taking the reverb 100% out
of the siganl path

HOLY **** !!!

Paint Peeling :shock:

after adding back the siganl lost in the reverb section the ULTRA was
on par with my Splawns as the LOUDEST amp I ever played

Ha, thanks for your responses guys. I won't have time to randomly upgrade caps in my amp until maybe late summer, so you won't hear from me about that until then.

This was just on my mind, that's all. I don't have a particular tone or goal here either, I was just wondering if there were any magic still left to be had by upgrading caps and was wondering if anyone else has done this outside of the modules.

I'll keep you guys updated on my findings as I explore this option

I am thinking Shinozoku started a thread about upgrading caps in his 100 about a year or so ago. I haven't seen him post in awhile, & I don't think he ever finished, at least not the thread anyway. But that might be a place to start.
Here is the thread I think...
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12960&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0