Simple noise reduction mod for high gain mods?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alowerdeep

Reaction score
Im just curious if there is a simple mod you can do for the stock mods like the sl,ultra etc. to reduce the squealing/noise with the gain up?I have a stock sl and really like it but it does feedback a little withe the gain past 4...I keep it about halfway....more so with my semi hollow tele,which is typical with these type guitars,though it doesnt do it with my kstein plus.....dont really know that it would be worth spend $50 or more to send it to get modded,so just curious if there is a diy mod you can do to make it a little quiter without having to use a decimator?I just dont like using pedals.....

your feedback issue is common to all those modules ?

bet you gotta bad preamp tube (or dirty/loose socket pins) in your RM50 head

There's not really a simple mod for that, it's a result of several factors summed together. One thing I will suggest (and always do) is to replace your amps PI tube with a 5751. It will add a lot of clarity and get that feedback under control. I typically have used JAN/Phillips, however JJ just put one out and my early tests are fantastic for the price. They are only around $9-10 each.

Yeah,I knew about the Decimator,I just dont like using pedals.....lol....but I rehearsed tonight with my Stonerverb and must use it live,it sounds so killer but is a litte squeally with stops,even with the gain usage low and especially with a semihollow body...I will try the PI tube and if that doesnt work Ill just get a decimator I suppose....

I use the MXR Smart Gate in the series FX Loop of my RM22. I am extremely happy with the results.

I've run into this before, and it's probably not your modules that's your problem because I have cranked higher gain modules than an SL+ and had very little noise. Feedback and squealing is a little different than noise too, where noise is normal with high gain, but feedback and squealing is something else.

My suggestion:

1) Get a power conditioner (dirty power causes more noise than you might think)
2) Using a telecaster or guitar with single coils? Be sure to properly shield the cavity or swap to humbuckers (there are plenty of tutorials online on how to properly shield a guitar cavity to block noise).
3) Your Tubes! If it squeals and stuff at only 4-5 gain, then something is wrong. Swap them all out (the modules ones too) for some new ones, one of them has gone microphonic or is failing
4) Stand farther away from your amp :)

Do that and I promise you will have no abnormal noise, squeals, etc.