DIY Synergy Amps Modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinerterig

Reaction score
I want to see if I can build my own modules and was hoping that someone could give me a nudge in the right direction.

I assume the connector on the back is to supply power to my pre-amp module, take signal in and out and switch between channels. If anyone has built their own module the pin out and some general advice would be much appreciated.

Ok, so here is step one of my design.

I created a template that you can hook up to any pre-amp and you should be good.

It looks like the MTS modules use three optocouplers, two connected to an NPN transistor which allows input and output signal to flow once pin7 receives power and one connected to a PNP transistor that seems to disable the module when pin7 is off (connected to ground) this second optocoupler seems to be connected between the first and the second gain stage on most schematics and pulls the signal down to ground when pin7 is off.

This looks pretty simple but it far from the final design. First of all, it only allows me to either enable er bypass a single channel. As I understand it pin8 is used in conjunction with pin7 to switch between channels. Synergy units also have circuitry That detects how the tubes are biased.

Here is my Schematic for the optocouplers.
nfnchymuz

Here is another image that shows how they are being used.

cg256etvv

Please keep in mind making ones own modules is a violation of the patent and Synergy will enforce their legal rights should it ever be sold.

Just a friendly heads up to keep everyone's nose clean. Several modified modules have surfaced that were built on non-stock PCB's and the Synergy team is aware of it. I fully support the DIY spirit, but I also want to make sure no one ends up in hot water for it.

So it's OK to modify existing modules into others, but no bueno on making your own from the ground up?

Just clarifying, as I wasn't aware of any of this until just now.

Man, I wouldn't worry so much about it. Do what you're going to do and enjoy. Just don't attempt to make money on it if you don't want potential legal fees. A letter to cease and desist usually comes first which is very easy to comply with.

tnjazz said:
So it's OK to modify existing modules into others, but no bueno on making your own from the ground up?

Just clarifying, as I wasn't aware of any of this until just now.

Modifying their product doesn't violate patent. Copying their design to make & sell your own does.

Fender won't come after you for replacing the tuners, pickup & bridge in your Strat. They probably won't care if you build your own replica for your own use (although some companies get a bit funny if you put their logo on the thing you built). But try to profit from a strathead that you built from scratch & they will.

It's usually no problem if a hobbyist builds one for their own use. How would the patent owner even know? Even showing their online friends probably isn't a big deal. But if their online friends then say "hey, build me one of those. I'll pay you" & the hobbyist starts taking orders, expect a C&D. If the hobbyist sets up a store, then definitely expect to be shut down.

VitaminG said:
Modifying their product doesn't violate patent. Copying their design to make & sell your own does.

Fender won't come after you for replacing the tuners, pickup & bridge in your Strat. They probably won't care if you build your own replica for your own use (although some companies get a bit funny if you put their logo on the thing you built). But try to profit from a strathead that you built from scratch & they will.

It's usually no problem if a hobbyist builds one for their own use. How would the patent owner even know? Even showing their online friends probably isn't a big deal. But if their online friends then say "hey, build me one of those. I'll pay you" & the hobbyist starts taking orders, expect a C&D. If the hobbyist sets up a store, then definitely expect to be shut down.

Makes sense. I never really thought about it. I don't have the knowledge to go down that road myself. I would probably struggle with step by step mod instructions honestly.

On that note, I wonder why the OP wants to recreate the wheel? Why not just get a few modules and strip/rebuild them, like the known modders do? Seems like an easier and equally rewarding way to go…?

Jaded Faith said:
Just a friendly heads up to keep everyone's nose clean.

Thanks, Jaded Faith. I have tried to get in touch with someone from Synergy via Brian Wampler to confirm the last of my suspicions about their unit and the added features it has compared to the MTS system, and if they would rather not have the details of their design available to the public.

Brian redirected my questions to Todd (I assume he is affiliated with the company). I have made I bunch of progress and 90% of my hunches are confirmed but since I have not yet gotten a reply from anyone at Synergy I will hold back on the details.