Fog Lifters and Parallel FX Loop Jumper

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to listen to my RM50 amps with the Fog Lifters and the parallel FX loops jumped. The increase in clarity and improvement in tone is pretty remarkable!
I also added Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 tubes to V1 in both of my RM-4s and JAN-GE 5751 tubes to the phase inverters in both RM50s.
Currently I have ElectroHarmonix 12AX7s for the FX loop tubes in both RM50s and the RM4s, but I'd like to try some Genalex Gold Lions there too.

I have been using 5751's in the PI for years now. It just sounds better to me by a long shot.

I tried the loop jump a little over a year ago. That was a cool little trick to try out! I keep in there all the time now with the effect level at about 12:30.

Foglifter came into play about 6 months ago. Another cool trick. I loved my amps before but still am really digging the fact that they keep getting better!

I'm sure I could do a search on this, but...

What is this FX loop jumper 'trick' you speak of? Is this effective on an RM100? What do I need to do to do this (just throw a patch cable joining the send/return on the series loop, or both loops?), and what advantage is provided? I'm already 'foglifted', so if that makes any difference...

Thanks.

Use a small cable to jump the "parallel" FX loop and then turn up the "effects" knob. This blends the main signal with the loop signal that uses another tube. It makes a pretty major improvement.

So if you jump the parallel effects loop, that means no reverb? and also no using any effects? Or could one then put a reverbdelay into the series loop?

ricky said:
So if you jump the parallel effects loop, that means no reverb? and also no using any effects? Or could one then put a reverbdelay into the series loop?
My MOD50 doesn't have reverb so I can't help there. I jump the parallel loop and use the series loop.

That's the reason I didn't do this when I only had the RM50s. Once I got the two RM4s I use the parallel loop on them and connect to the reverb tanks in my RM50s. I use the serial loop in the RM4s for my T.C. Nova Delay and I return the RM4 outputs to the serial returns on the RM50s.
All of my pedals go in front and feed a Lehle P-Split which feeds the inputs of both RM4s.
That leaves the parallel loops on the RM50s free to be jumped.

So if I'm using the series loop with my HD500 (4 CM) for fx, the 'extra' tube you all are speaking of is not being used? Should I be jumping my parallel loop also???

stratotelepaul said:
So if I'm using the series loop with my HD500 (4 CM) for fx, the 'extra' tube you all are speaking of is not being used? Should I be jumping my parallel loop also???

I use an HD500 in 4CM as well. Parallel loop jumpered and serial loop for doing the 4CM. I tried doing the 4CM and it didn't work very well.
Its a great set up but does add some noise. I set a noise gate at the end of the chain with decay very low and threshold as high as needed. At home its not really a problem but was too much even with a Voxless on the DC setting boost on and gain at 1:00 so I just use it when needed and it seems to respond well in terms of opening correctly and not pinching stuff off.

Any advantage in jumpering both loops? I don't use either one on my RM100, as I feed everything to the input from my Vox ToneLab.

Corium_AZ said:
Any advantage in jumpering both loops? I don't use either one on my RM100, as I feed everything to the input from my Vox ToneLab.
Don't do this. The whole idea doing it in the Parallel Loop is to have control over the level via the Effects knob and to minimize phase issues. The concept is similar to the Loudness button on a stereo. Apply it in smaller doses as you turn up the Master.

Hmmm, I wonder if there is a more in depth discussion on here somewhere.. I'll do a search...

If I am not using my effects loops at all, then is there still an advantage to doing this jumpering of the parallel loop?

Lol, I guess I could just plug it in and try it when I get home tonight...

Don't judge me...I've been playing for 30yrs & have never used an effect loop. I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Same here. I had an old Ibanez effects rack back in the 80s which had a loop in it but I had no reason to use it. I use the loop in my digitech but am liking the possibilities that I am learning about here. So thanks everyone!
rick

Corium_AZ said:
Hmmm, I wonder if there is a more in depth discussion on here somewhere.. I'll do a search...

If I am not using my effects loops at all, then is there still an advantage to doing this jumpering of the parallel loop?

Lol, I guess I could just plug it in and try it when I get home tonight...
It's not that complex really, certainly not anything requiring an in depth discussion.

The loop is tube buffered on both the send and return. Jumping the Parallel loop allows you to send the signal in parallel to your original signal and blend in the impact of these two additional stages. It's like cooking with spices, you should add what's needed to taste. The Effects knob on the front allows you to do this. The louder the amp, the less you need it as Fletcher-Munson curves come into play and fill out the sound.

Hope that helps!