The Douchey Douchbag

Discussion area for Jaded Faith custom modules

Moderator: Jaded Faith

Mattfig
Donating Member
Posts: 5686
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:12 pm
Location: Hurtling through space on a wet rock.
Contact:

Post by Mattfig » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:28 am

drewiv wrote:
Mattfig wrote: My sig was once all JF mods too.
I guess, more or less, that is the question. Why the flip and then then flop and then then flip? Some of us have been here to witness it all. I'm not trying to be a douchey douchebag, but what is behind the migration?
The migration was that Rob and I stopped working together and I went elsewhere. The thing is: I have tried my absolute hardest to answer every inquiry about this very thing by saying something complimentary about both modders. Just a change in the times. Many of you guys know this.

I didn't say that JF claimed "x" and it couldn't be more wrong. When I read a direct comment about Salvation Mods and it's Kool-Aid mentality, that's where I started getting pissed and I know I didn't handle it in the best way. I literally love this stuff and this forum.
Matt Fig -
MotorCity Mods
www.motorcitymods.com

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com

JD
RM100
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Canada

Post by JD » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:57 am

All I know is that I like a little drama once and a while and I just got it. lol

I've been here long enough to witness the deeper rooted stuff to know where Matt is coming from. There have been weird coincidences but maybe that's all they ever were. Who knows, I know I don't, and I have other things to worry about during my day. Obviously Matt is passionate about MTS and I appreciate that about him. His videos and forum chat have done more for MTS than any other thing.

By the way, we were jamming some Ratt last night and I let another guitarist play through my JF Slo...he was blowin away by it. He said that it is the Ratt sound. I said, yup, I saved myself a lot of money by not having to buy a Soldano.

I haven't bought any modules for a long time. I have never owned any Salvation because of the wait times and the shipping over seas but I would love to try some out some day.

JF's work has been good to me as has Scott's from SG. When I got my SG MK22 for the first time, I jammed with it for about 2 hours with a big smile on my face because I finally had THAT Marshsall tone I had been looking for.Where is Scott anyhow??? He doesn't seem to be modding modules which is what he was born to do...somebody go find him and lock him in a room and put him to work.

Not sure what I will buy next. I just know it won't be gooped. :? :lol:
Last edited by JD on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RM100/RM100KH
Stock- Blackface/SL+/Mr. Scary/KH-3
Jaded Faith -Super Clean/1959RR/OD Special/SL- OD100
Sacred Groove -MK22/The Bully

Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:18 am

Jaded Faith wrote:Thanks for the positive press Ross and I'm so happy you are loving this mod. Those knobs you sourced really hit the spot.

This module came out fantastic. It's an SL-OD100 under the hood with a tweaked Focus circuit (a bit tighter), a touch more gain and a modded tone stack for more Treble sensitivity. It was a joy to play and I was very happy with the outcome.

Enjoy!
Good ears then Ross.. the two albums you mentioned are also my idea of ideal SLO tone.

Tweaking the base circuit is what I felt the module also needed. I like the SL-OD100 but it was mainly for the crunch channel. Even at that, I wished the crunch channel had a bit more oomph. The lead channel was not focused or tight enough for me so I am glad that these issues have been addressed. Any chance this could be known as the "SL-OD100T" for those who want the "Tighter" version? I think that would be a great idea.

I guess that also answers my questions about the JEt City amps (though i see that there are Soldano circuit mods available for these which might bring them closer)

Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:23 am

For the record, I also didn't see this as Ross slamming Salvation.. in addition to having a few of their mods, it is pretty clear that Ross' ear has been chasing the SLO tone for a while though. Heck, we all love it. more often than not there is praise for mods on this forum... sometimes too much so. Being able to say that mod xyz just doesn't cut it makes the product better in the long run because it is feedback. In addition to that, just like in the real world of amps, some people just don't like the sound of certain circuits..

The irony of it all however, is that Rossness changes his mind about 3 times a week on what he likes so before long, something should come a long to replace it :P zing!

The Rossness
Lynch Box
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:54 pm
Location: CT

Post by The Rossness » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:25 am

I'm bitting my tongue Matt. My mom uses the expression "You win more flies with honey than you do with vinegar".

You used to be Rob's biggest supporter. Why all the hostility towards him and his mods? What did he do to you? After you sold all your JF mods, I could have sworn I saw you praise in a thread how good the venom and Vybe deluxe were, yet you sold yours.... It almost seems to me that you're trying to do marketing for salvation mods. ? Last year I thought the MarkUS was such a good module, I bought a MarkV. The MarkUS is the one and only module I've ever bought and sold and bought back. Truthfully, It doesn't sound like a mesa. Its better sounding the the MKV. I'm not doing marketing for Antoin. Even If he were giving me free modules, if one of them wasn't up to par, I'd share my feelings openly. How can things be improved upon if the status quo is blatantly accepted? I don't pull any punches when it comes to my reviews. I try to be open and honest. Look at my youtube channel. I try and post honest reviews from a consumer standpoint. Because I'm not a great guitar player, I get s*&t all over with negative comments. While not great by any stretch of the imagination, my playing has improved. Instead of deterring me, the comments make me want to play better. I'm still going to share my opinions openly regardless of what people think of me.

I've played modules from about every pro/ semi-pro modder out there besides Pete, and while some of their mods are great, other are steaming piles horse s*&t. IMHO, the Salvado Deluxe isn't a steaming pile of horse s*&t, Its just a regular POS. It has a nice lead tone, a cool faceplate and people talking it up to be some colossal sounding module, but for me, and my finicky as heck ears, it wasn't. Keep in mind Matt, the only tone I want a soldano module to sounding like are the two examples I posted.

I posted this in my review:

"In full disclosure- When asked about different mts modders from people on this forum, I was never too keen on Jaded Faith Mods. I had a few of them, but they never did it for me as much as some of the mods, from other modders. So when I was interested in possibly getting another JF mod, I decided I needed to play them first and took an almost 4 hour trip down to see the man himself."

If I were doing marketing, why would I say that?

How about this one... modules I can't recommend.
Salvation MashAll+- Boomy, too thick. Can't dial the thickness out of the module. The Jose setting sounds good. The rest is shitty
JF 1959RR- Did the classic rock thing very well, but didn't sound like a heavy metal marshall to me. And when I got mine, a switch was broken. I have a JF mod that does the cranked marshall sound very well. the 1959rr isn't it.
Friedman Brown Eye- The BE100 amp is amazing. The module based on it, sucks like the NY Yankees. I had to run my tubes very hot to get the module to sound good (I had 2 brown eyes and they both needed hot tubes). The tubes were running so hot, the other modules I had in my RM100 didn't sound so good with very hot tubes. I can't recommend it because of the poweramp issue.

Maybe I can end on a good note. I don't favor one guy's mods over another. In the past, I was a heavy supporter of the work Antoin did and thought it was far superior to everything else out there. I'm not a fanboy in the least though. I'm open minded. In the non-MTS world, I'm a flaming liberal progressive socialist, maybe that will tell you something about me. If something comes along that's better, why not embrace it and embrace change? The conservative way of thinking is set in the past and the past is accepted. I, The Rossness, accept the future. For the style of music I play, the Douchy Douchbag is great and the salvo is the pits. What's so wrong with that? What's so wrong with my opinion? Why jump down my throat for sharing my opinion honestly?

I don't have or hold grudges against the Salvation guys. I was one myself. I'd very much like to get the buddy module. I'd also very much like a Silverado. I'd like an Egnater Armageddon in a MTS format as would I like an Axe FX. Why can't we all just get along?
Last edited by The Rossness on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Deals- Just ask around

2 RM100's with Salvo Stonerverb, Cammerock, and MarkUS, Ultra XL EVH 5153, TC Electronic BG250, Kemper

WTB: Salvation Terrier

Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:43 am

Good post Ross. Nothing wrong with opinion and saying that in your own opinion, a mod just doesn't do it. There are plenty of praise posts for Salvation floating around and plenty of "JF xyz mod didn't do it for me" also floating around.

Personally, when i recorded clips a while back of my own Brownstone module vs the judge and SL-OD100, I thought my Brownstone killed both of them on recorded clips for the Ratt/Dokkenish sounds. It's ok to say.. that's the point of the forum. Share opinions. If everyone wants to hold hands and love every mod in existence than this place would get boring..

JKD
Donating Member
Posts: 4972
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am
Location: NorCal

Post by JKD » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:00 pm

I've seen people post 'best module EVAH!' and then sell it.

I've seen people be 'respectful' and tone down their negative criticism, which is OK to a point...because a mod isn't for them

Maybe if we could just stick to posting honest opinions about mods and what we do/don't like and stop reading into things?

Let's just accept that we are all gear addicts here....HEH
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, GTO, SuperV

iekobrid
RM100
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: Doogie Howser, MD

Post by iekobrid » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:54 pm

I haven't sung Kumbaya since my age hit double digits, and I have absolutely no intention of buying the world a Coke and keeping it comp-a-ny. I think disagreement can be useful and healthy and I probably enjoy a good argument way more than I should. (Just ask any of the women I've driven away.) :D

But there's a pretty clear line between expressing a reasonable brand preference opinion and maligning someone's business ethics and personal character. Making (not-so-)passive-aggresive comments about a modder then defending with "I've always shown respect and would buy from him again" reminds me of the old trope of someone criticized for using the N word protesting, "I'm not racist, I used to have a black friend at work!" And someone rationalizing "I've been around here a long time, I know the truth" -- in a thread where the majority of the posters (OP included) have older forum join dates than they do -- is just silly. (I'm paraphrasing here, of course. These are not direct quotes and i'm open to the possibility that i've grossly misconstrued things that have been said.)

That said, when Matt formally announces the new business venture he's mentioned elsewhere, unless it is something that has literally never before been attempted or conceived of on god's green earth I not only expect but encourage him to compare and contrast it to other products / services / methods that have come before. I welcome informed opinions and find identifying touchstones a crucial part of the purchasing decision process. :)

The Rossness
Lynch Box
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:54 pm
Location: CT

Post by The Rossness » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Kapo_Polenton wrote:
Jaded Faith wrote:Thanks for the positive press Ross and I'm so happy you are loving this mod. Those knobs you sourced really hit the spot.

This module came out fantastic. It's an SL-OD100 under the hood with a tweaked Focus circuit (a bit tighter), a touch more gain and a modded tone stack for more Treble sensitivity. It was a joy to play and I was very happy with the outcome.

Enjoy!
Good ears then Ross.. the two albums you mentioned are also my idea of ideal SLO tone.

Tweaking the base circuit is what I felt the module also needed. I like the SL-OD100 but it was mainly for the crunch channel. Even at that, I wished the crunch channel had a bit more oomph. The lead channel was not focused or tight enough for me so I am glad that these issues have been addressed. Any chance this could be known as the "SL-OD100T" for those who want the "Tighter" version? I think that would be a great idea.

I guess that also answers my questions about the JEt City amps (though i see that there are Soldano circuit mods available for these which might bring them closer)
As for my Jet city... It to was better than the Salvado for getting me the Lynch Mob/ Ratt tones. It also had a clean channel. I felt it excelled when I was using my baritone guitar. However, it wasn't hi-fi in the least and sounded kind of generic. The EQ also wasn't as sensitive as a usa built soldano. It wasn't a bad amp, just nothing special. When I sold it, I was asked to send it to a modder and I wonder what it will turn into???
Good Deals- Just ask around

2 RM100's with Salvo Stonerverb, Cammerock, and MarkUS, Ultra XL EVH 5153, TC Electronic BG250, Kemper

WTB: Salvation Terrier

JD
RM100
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Canada

Post by JD » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:13 pm

I read the problem post again. Rossness is clearly taking shots at Salvation. Why did he not just tell us how awesome the JF Slo is instead of warning us that the Salvado doesn't sound like a real Soldano and later on calling it inaccurate. Heck, I bet a true audiophile will tell you that 2 Soldanos don't sound the same, so what is "accurate"?
My guess is that if I had a JF Slo, a Salvado and a real Soldano to play around with, I could get them all sounding very similar and most people wouldn't be able to tell which is which.
RM100/RM100KH
Stock- Blackface/SL+/Mr. Scary/KH-3
Jaded Faith -Super Clean/1959RR/OD Special/SL- OD100
Sacred Groove -MK22/The Bully

Mattfig
Donating Member
Posts: 5686
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:12 pm
Location: Hurtling through space on a wet rock.
Contact:

Post by Mattfig » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:37 pm

iekobrid wrote:I haven't sung Kumbaya since my age hit double digits, and I have absolutely no intention of buying the world a Coke and keeping it comp-a-ny. I think disagreement can be useful and healthy and I probably enjoy a good argument way more than I should. (Just ask any of the women I've driven away.) :D

But there's a pretty clear line between expressing a reasonable brand preference opinion and maligning someone's business ethics and personal character. Making (not-so-)passive-aggresive comments about a modder then defending with "I've always shown respect and would buy from him again" reminds me of the old trope of someone criticized for using the N word protesting, "I'm not racist, I used to have a black friend at work!" And someone rationalizing "I've been around here a long time, I know the truth" -- in a thread where the majority of the posters (OP included) have older forum join dates than they do -- is just silly. (I'm paraphrasing here, of course. These are not direct quotes and i'm open to the possibility that i've grossly misconstrued things that have been said.)

That said, when Matt formally announces the new business venture he's mentioned elsewhere, unless it is something that has literally never before been attempted or conceived of on god's green earth I not only expect but encourage him to compare and contrast it to other products / services / methods that have come before. I welcome informed opinions and find identifying touchstones a crucial part of the purchasing decision process. :)
Good points and again, we're coming to kick ass?.No questions asked?It is all that and more in the product we have?.Nothing compares.

I'm just tired of lies being perpetuated?.We'll be offering something even my worst enemy will want so I feel confident in setting this BS straight to a certain extent. It has simply gone too far?.There is obvious BS being spread and I for one officially call BS?.

The truth and history are being rewritten by those who wish to change it. I won't let that happen.
Matt Fig -
MotorCity Mods
www.motorcitymods.com

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com

ricky
Lynch Box
Posts: 920
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:44 pm
Location: Bozeman, MT

Post by ricky » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:39 pm

Wow! They don't call us sensitive f#ckin' artists for nothing....

The Beast
RM20
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Post by The Beast » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Wow this has gotten pretty heated, I'm a noob here but I will give my .2cents
worth.

Matt firstly I would like to say congratulations on your baby girl.

Your post and videos are a great contribution to this site and I like your sense of humor you inject in almost all you do.

Even though you and I haven't directly communicated yet I can say by your post and video's you seem like a very cool guy.

I have dealt with Ross and bought a module from him and he is also a very cool guy and he too from his post has a sense of humor too.

I'm not trying to take sides in this but maybe let you know a few things Matt in regards to Ross.

When I bought Ross's Afterlife module I hinted about the possibility of buying his Salvation Camerock he messaged me back and here is paraphrased what he had to say:

As for my cammerock... It suits my musical style quite a bit more.
It has soooooo many different settings, it can do just about anything.
I've heard from CCV owners that its a dead on replica.
The only difference on mine is the color. I did a red faceplate and knobs. Its nicknamed the Cammered. I believe theres also an all-blue one floating around somewhere. I don't plan to ever sell mine.
Sorry. I too have played most of the modded mts mods and as far as
high gain marshall tone goes, the Cammerock, Custom 3 and Grail Tone are the best.

Those were Ross's words to me if he hated Salvation Mods he could have said so and slammed them in his private message to me about what mods are best he said his Camerock is one of his best modules and that he will never sell it.

Matt it was a private message between me and him and a recent one just before he posted his excitement for his new JF Douchey Douchebag.

If Ross was up to no good and wanted to bash Salvation and he and Rob were cooking a scheme then why would he say that his Salvation Camerock and the Salvation Custom 3 are two of the best modules in his judgment and taste top buy out there he recommended them to me.

I know Matt you love your Salvation Salvado and that it is one of your favorite mods but here is something to think about.

Soldano doesn't have just one SLO 100 you can order the Van Halen version which is a mod they offer from stock or the George Lynch version or the Warren Demartini version or the Warren Haynes version or the Eric Clapton version or the Stevie Ray Vaughan version and can you tell me of all of these version of the Soldano SLO which is best? Could anyone for that matter? You see it boils down to taste and whatever makes on happy your Salvation Salvado does it for you to you it's the best for you and puts a smile on your face every time you play it, it makes you happy.
To Ross his Jaded Faith Douchey Douchebag SLO version is best for him and makes him happy because he likes his better than yours doesn't debase or take away from what you have is a matter of difference of opinion.

Ross had nothing but praise for his Camerock in his private message to me so I wanted to make you aware of this.

Ross is not a fan of Death Metal and I am, I am not a fan of Punk Rock but he is but both he and I have something in common we both love George Lynch and Soldano Amps!!! I respect that Ross has his own opinion and way of looking at things he is very picky about tone and knows what he likes as I'm sure you do Matt.

His input and Rob's tweaks and mods have intrigued me I will be ordering one from Rob but with my own faceplate and I have a idea of my own I would like Rob to do to it for my own version but does that mean if I have a different newer version than Ross's that mine is better than all of yours? No it's just tweaked for me and my needs. The same way Mike Soldano tweaked his SLO for all the above mentioned artist.

I think Rob's work is Awesome!!! And his post are always professional.
I have yet to see him bash anyone and he has always conducted himself in a very helpfully respectful manner towards all.

And not to play favorites I want a Salvation Mods Camerock and Custom 3.

I have an Idea I will start a new thread and it will be this instead of the one modders mods are better than another how about this.

If you could have one module for free that you have to keep and can't sell from each of the following mod guru's which would it be?

The Guru's Being in no specific order:

Anthony @ Salvation Mods
Rob @ Jaded Faith
Scott @ Sacred Groove
Trace @ Voodoo Amps
Jeff Hilligan
Pete Turley
Dave Friedman
Bruce Egnater
Mike Fortin

Please don't reply here on this thread I will post this under a new topic.

Matt and Ross your both Great Guys and lets caulk this up to a misunderstanding

Cheers Guys!!!
GTO Judge

MarcoR
Donating Member
Posts: 905
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Frederick, MD

Post by MarcoR » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:28 pm

......
Last edited by MarcoR on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synergy: SYN2, Friedman DS, HBE
Self Modded: Egnater B'Man, SL2X
Amps: VHT 2/50/2, RM50, Landry LS100 G3, Splawn Quick Rod, Marshall 6100LM

The Rossness
Lynch Box
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:54 pm
Location: CT

Post by The Rossness » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:50 am

The Beast wrote:Wow this has gotten pretty heated, I'm a noob here but I will give my .2cents
worth.

Matt firstly I would like to say congratulations on your baby girl.

Your post and videos are a great contribution to this site and I like your sense of humor you inject in almost all you do.

Even though you and I haven't directly communicated yet I can say by your post and video's you seem like a very cool guy.

I have dealt with Ross and bought a module from him and he is also a very cool guy and he too from his post has a sense of humor too.

I'm not trying to take sides in this but maybe let you know a few things Matt in regards to Ross.

When I bought Ross's Afterlife module I hinted about the possibility of buying his Salvation Camerock he messaged me back and here is paraphrased what he had to say:

As for my cammerock... It suits my musical style quite a bit more.
It has soooooo many different settings, it can do just about anything.
I've heard from CCV owners that its a dead on replica.
The only difference on mine is the color. I did a red faceplate and knobs. Its nicknamed the Cammered. I believe theres also an all-blue one floating around somewhere. I don't plan to ever sell mine.
Sorry. I too have played most of the modded mts mods and as far as
high gain marshall tone goes, the Cammerock, Custom 3 and Grail Tone are the best.

Those were Ross's words to me if he hated Salvation Mods he could have said so and slammed them in his private message to me about what mods are best he said his Camerock is one of his best modules and that he will never sell it.

Matt it was a private message between me and him and a recent one just before he posted his excitement for his new JF Douchey Douchebag.

If Ross was up to no good and wanted to bash Salvation and he and Rob were cooking a scheme then why would he say that his Salvation Camerock and the Salvation Custom 3 are two of the best modules in his judgment and taste top buy out there he recommended them to me.

I know Matt you love your Salvation Salvado and that it is one of your favorite mods but here is something to think about.

Soldano doesn't have just one SLO 100 you can order the Van Halen version which is a mod they offer from stock or the George Lynch version or the Warren Demartini version or the Warren Haynes version or the Eric Clapton version or the Stevie Ray Vaughan version and can you tell me of all of these version of the Soldano SLO which is best? Could anyone for that matter? You see it boils down to taste and whatever makes on happy your Salvation Salvado does it for you to you it's the best for you and puts a smile on your face every time you play it, it makes you happy.
To Ross his Jaded Faith Douchey Douchebag SLO version is best for him and makes him happy because he likes his better than yours doesn't debase or take away from what you have is a matter of difference of opinion.

Ross had nothing but praise for his Camerock in his private message to me so I wanted to make you aware of this.

Ross is not a fan of Death Metal and I am, I am not a fan of Punk Rock but he is but both he and I have something in common we both love George Lynch and Soldano Amps!!! I respect that Ross has his own opinion and way of looking at things he is very picky about tone and knows what he likes as I'm sure you do Matt.

His input and Rob's tweaks and mods have intrigued me I will be ordering one from Rob but with my own faceplate and I have a idea of my own I would like Rob to do to it for my own version but does that mean if I have a different newer version than Ross's that mine is better than all of yours? No it's just tweaked for me and my needs. The same way Mike Soldano tweaked his SLO for all the above mentioned artist.

I think Rob's work is Awesome!!! And his post are always professional.
I have yet to see him bash anyone and he has always conducted himself in a very helpfully respectful manner towards all.

And not to play favorites I want a Salvation Mods Camerock and Custom 3.

I have an Idea I will start a new thread and it will be this instead of the one modders mods are better than another how about this.

If you could have one module for free that you have to keep and can't sell from each of the following mod guru's which would it be?

The Guru's Being in no specific order:

Anthony @ Salvation Mods
Rob @ Jaded Faith
Scott @ Sacred Groove
Trace @ Voodoo Amps
Jeff Hilligan
Pete Turley
Dave Friedman
Bruce Egnater
Mike Fortin

Please don't reply here on this thread I will post this under a new topic.

Matt and Ross your both Great Guys and lets caulk this up to a misunderstanding

Cheers Guys!!!
Thanks James. You clearly get it it.

BTW, I like Children of Bodom. They're my death metal exception. :D
Good Deals- Just ask around

2 RM100's with Salvo Stonerverb, Cammerock, and MarkUS, Ultra XL EVH 5153, TC Electronic BG250, Kemper

WTB: Salvation Terrier

Post Reply