The Douchey Douchbag

Discussion area for Jaded Faith custom modules

Moderator: Jaded Faith

Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:27 am

I also hear the sound as bright from most of the live clips and clinics he has put on. I would say that MikeP is probably bang on with pointing out that producers have a HUGE part to do with how good an album sounds. Wicked Sensation sounds perfect and Lynch Mob sounds darker. It isn't that he used dark amps or guitars or pickups.. it is more than likely the way the guitars were recorded right down to the placement of the mic (outer dust cap, darker for example) and how many of those types of tracks were blended. Then add studio EQ curves and the overall mix by the producer and there is your answer. That's why this whole chasing a tone on a record is like a black hole.

Everyone raves over the AFD tone.. I did the Levi mod to my 2204 clone and it was bright and thin. I didn't like it much at all and that album was my holy grail. Production went a long way in making that the album it was with the "tone" it was.

Mike P
Lynch Box
Posts: 1017
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Post by Mike P » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:51 pm

Kapo_Polenton wrote:Everyone raves over the AFD tone.. I did the Levi mod to my 2204 clone and it was bright and thin. I didn't like it much at all and that album was my holy grail. Production went a long way in making that the album it was with the "tone" it was.
Did you use a great sounding Les Paul with Alnico pickups?

I can get Slash's tone easily with mine and the SG MK22+ or Bully (MK19+). I can totally nail his tone on Apocalyptic Love in a heartbeat.

But if you try to match that tone with a Floyd Rose guitar made out of basswood or alder or even ash, you won't get it.

I remember Doug Aldrich using the Frank Levi modified amps in the late 80's/early 90's with Hurricane and Brunette (which became Hardline). But he used neck-through maple Jackson guitars with tons of Eventide Harmonizer to thicken up the tone.

Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:08 am

More or less.. not a les paul but an old Epiphone les paul which is thick and heavy from the 90's with Alnico II duncans. My own brownstone module gets me close enough to that tone but the actual mod on a 2204 that I did was just too cutting even for me and I love my treble! I could def. hear where Lynch would have taken either the Caswell or Levi out on one tour. It cut like a knife. Cool sound but just not a great all around sound that appealed to me as I mostly play alder strats. In a mix it has it's place for sure though.

Mike P
Lynch Box
Posts: 1017
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Post by Mike P » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:17 am

Kapo_Polenton wrote:More or less.. not a les paul but an old Epiphone les paul which is thick and heavy from the 90's with Alnico II duncans. My own brownstone module gets me close enough to that tone but the actual mod on a 2204 that I did was just too cutting even for me and I love my treble! I could def. hear where Lynch would have taken either the Caswell or Levi out on one tour. It cut like a knife. Cool sound but just not a great all around sound that appealed to me as I mostly play alder strats. In a mix it has it's place for sure though.
Interesting. Was it an early 2204 or a 1984 and later? The later amps sounded significantly different than the early models. Either way, your Brownstone module definitely hit the mark, IIRC.

:D

Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:47 am

It was neither of those..it was a mid 80'4 laney pro tube. I somewhat regret gutting it and putting in a PTP but hey, I was in my experimentation phase..I might wire it back one of these days but I don't remember it sounding that great. So yeah, too many variables with a build.. Components can drift, sound different, and the laney iron sure as hell isn't a thick Drake transformer. All this to say that it was cool and did sound cutting and raspy just like the afd tone sounds BUT, what else is it usable for? Didn't sound great with preamp turned down so I scrapped it and went with a standard 2204 which I tweak here or there. Would love to put in a bogner blue channel preamp next and see how that would sound.

Mike P
Lynch Box
Posts: 1017
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Post by Mike P » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:53 am

Kapo_Polenton wrote:It was neither of those..it was a mid 80'4 laney pro tube. I somewhat regret gutting it and putting in a PTP but hey, I was in my experimentation phase..I might wire it back one of these days but I don't remember it sounding that great. So yeah, too many variables with a build.. Components can drift, sound different, and the laney iron sure as hell isn't a thick Drake transformer. All this to say that it was cool and did sound cutting and raspy just like the afd tone sounds BUT, what else is it usable for? Didn't sound great with preamp turned down so I scrapped it and went with a standard 2204 which I tweak here or there. Would love to put in a bogner blue channel preamp next and see how that would sound.
That's the beauty of MTS and modified modules: Swap a module and have essentially another amp. 8)

Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:10 am

Mike P wrote:
Kapo_Polenton wrote:It was neither of those..it was a mid 80'4 laney pro tube. I somewhat regret gutting it and putting in a PTP but hey, I was in my experimentation phase..I might wire it back one of these days but I don't remember it sounding that great. So yeah, too many variables with a build.. Components can drift, sound different, and the laney iron sure as hell isn't a thick Drake transformer. All this to say that it was cool and did sound cutting and raspy just like the afd tone sounds BUT, what else is it usable for? Didn't sound great with preamp turned down so I scrapped it and went with a standard 2204 which I tweak here or there. Would love to put in a bogner blue channel preamp next and see how that would sound.
That's the beauty of MTS and modified modules: Swap a module and have essentially another amp. 8)
I think i have actually come around to this way of thinking more and more.. i love my 82' 800 combo but i get tones as good and close enough out of a Friedman brahma, AFD tones out of my brownstone, Lynch and 80's tones out of boosting the brahma or the scary i now have so what else do I need really. The effects loop is the only thing i still hate about these amps but Rob is cooking up some good stuff beyond his STEP pedal which will address this soon.

Mike P
Lynch Box
Posts: 1017
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Post by Mike P » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:48 am

Mike P wrote:That's the beauty of MTS and modified modules: Swap a module and have essentially another amp. 8)
Kapo_Polenton wrote:I think i have actually come around to this way of thinking more and more.. i love my 82' 800 combo but i get tones as good and close enough out of a Friedman brahma, AFD tones out of my brownstone, Lynch and 80's tones out of boosting the brahma or the scary i now have so what else do I need really. The effects loop is the only thing i still hate about these amps but Rob is cooking up some good stuff beyond his STEP pedal which will address this soon.
De-coupling your cabinet from the floor and either buying or building gobos to surround it will allow you to get even closer to your desired sound and tone when recording.

Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Funny you should mention gobos, I actually had left over material from my bass traps and wall panels so I made a few free standing ones. I have the cab I want to record off the floor on top of another cab so I think I will use a combination of Gobos plus a moving blanket over everything so that I can crank it up a bit more. I had wanted to build something into the basement closet but the GF moved in so well... we all know how that goes.

Mike P
Lynch Box
Posts: 1017
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Post by Mike P » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Kapo_Polenton wrote:Funny you should mention gobos, I actually had left over material from my bass traps and wall panels so I made a few free standing ones. I have the cab I want to record off the floor on top of another cab so I think I will use a combination of Gobos plus a moving blanket over everything so that I can crank it up a bit more. I had wanted to build something into the basement closet but the GF moved in so well... we all know how that goes.
That should definitely help. I use the Auralex Great Gramma for both my guitar and bass cabinets. It makes a huge difference, IMO.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... fgodQpgAUg

And for studio monitors, the Primeacoustic Recoil Stabilizers are life changing. When I purchased those for my Focal's and matching sub back in 2010, my whole world changed. The difference in monitoring and mixes was mind-blowing.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/primacousti ... fgodLJIA3w

Post Reply