BB/BE, OS and Savage modules in stock at Sweetwater

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike P said:
I ordered an ENGL Savage Module today that should be here late this week. I'll post some clips in the next couple of weeks.

Please do, interested in this module!

There was a big mixup in my order on Reverb.com and the Savage just arrived a few minutes ago.

This is my first Synergy module and I'm guessing that there's something wrong with the module itself because it sounds absolutely terrible. I mean, way worse than any old stock MTS module. Small, midrangey, no bottom. If I turn up the bass, it just becomes a muddy, compressed mess. There's SO much midrange that it's completely unusable and in no way, shape or form sounds like any ENGL I've owned or played through (let alone, in any way, shape or form comparable to the Salvation Angel).

If this module isn't defective then, woo, I have no words...

Mike P said:
There was a big mixup in my order on Reverb.com and the Savage just arrived a few minutes ago.

This is my first Synergy module and I'm guessing that there's something wrong with the module itself because it sounds absolutely terrible. I mean, way worse than any old stock MTS module. Small, midrangey, no bottom. If I turn up the bass, it just becomes a muddy, compressed mess. There's SO much midrange that it's completely unusable and in no way, shape or form sounds like any ENGL I've owned or played through (let alone, in any way, shape or form comparable to the Salvation Angel).

If this module isn't defective then, woo, I have no words...
Have you set the bias switch inside the module?

werdna said:

There's a Bias Switch inside the Synergy modules? I was completely unaware. Where is it located?

Also, what is happening in this video? At the 3:45 mark, the module "Opens Up", for lack of a better descriptor, and becomes clearer, with less midrange and more bass. Is this option, whatever it is, available when using the Synergy Modules with an RM100?

Thanks in advance! :D

https://youtu.be/KK-T-KxVmQ4

Well, this is embarrasing :oops:

With a little research, I found out there are switches under the Tube Cage in which there are settings for a 2 Channel or Single channel amp, along with a Cathode switch.

Now, I'm getting close to the tone I was expecting. I'll post some clips in the next couple of days as I work through the module.

Mike P said:
werdna said:

There's a Bias Switch inside the Synergy modules? I was completely unaware. Where is it located?

Also, what is happening in this video? At the 3:45 mark, the module "Opens Up", for lack of a better descriptor, and becomes clearer, with less midrange and more bass. Is this option, whatever it is, available when using the Synergy Modules with an RM100?

Thanks in advance! :D

https://youtu.be/KK-T-KxVmQ4

at 3:45 he switches from the Blue Channel to the Red Channel.

The Blue side is much more mid-rangey and the Red much more balls out Hi-Gain ENGL and as far as I know the Contour switch only affects the RED Channel.

The three way switch affects the first stage in the amp head or preamp on the Synergy gear, it has no effect when playing in Randall/Egnater.
I think either a Fender, SLO or Marshall first stage (cathode coupling or gain...I'm not sure?) R/C values - they are listed in the Module paperwork.

The second (smaller) two-way switch allows you to access the RED Channel in single channel gear but still without the first stage value functionality.

I must admit I was stunned when I saw your first post, hope there is nothing wrong with your module....really respect your ears and ability to dial tones from the past clips you've done.

JKD said:
at 3:45 he switches from the Blue Channel to the Red Channel.

The Blue side is much more mid-rangey and the Red much more balls out Hi-Gain ENGL and as far as I know the Contour switch only affects the RED Channel.

The three way switch affects the first stage in the amp head or preamp on the Synergy gear, it has no effect when playing in Randall/Egnater.
I think either a Fender, SLO or Marshall first stage (cathode coupling or gain...I'm not sure?) R/C values - they are listed in the Module paperwork.

The second (smaller) two-way switch allows you to access the RED Channel in single channel gear but still without the first stage value functionality.

I must admit I was stunned when I saw your first post, hope there is nothing wrong with your module....really respect your ears and ability to dial tones from the past clips you've done.

Thanks for all of the info! It sounds like I'll need a Synergy head or SYN2 to unlock all of the Synergy potential.

As for my initial impressions, I plugged in the module at 6:30pm after a long day in the studio, which was probably a bad idea, but I wanted to hear the ENGL as soon as it arrived. Like I mentioned in that post, I was completely disappointed.

I should have done more research before purchasing but I truly had no idea that channel switching, using Randall MTS amp, was only available inside the actual module itself. And maybe it's my setup but I just could not get a sound that worked on the Default setting. Too much midrange, compressed Bass and Gain, ice pick Treble. I was able to get something usable by dialing out -8db at 140 with a High Shelf set to +4db at 3500HZ but that's not my trip - I want to hear the tone coming from the amp, not from Post EQ in my DAW.

Fortunately, I was able to find the info via a Google search and I'm very pleased with the module using Channel 1, but I cannot foresee a time when I'd ever use Channel 2, at least with an RM100. And FWIW, my module, which was dropped shipped directly from Synergy, did not include any paperwork, so I had no idea about the additional functionality built into the module. I mentioned that to Synergy but received no response about that particular facet of my experience.

So, I'm thrilled with the sound of the first channel of the ENGL Savage in the RM100. But from reading this forum, it seems as if I'll need either a Synergy Amp or a Syn 1 or 2 to take full advantage of the SLO, Friedman, etc.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

I'd like to begin adding more Syn modules but if they're not going to be able to reach their full potential in an RM100, it kind of throws my entire wheelhouse into a tornado, as I really don't want to purchase a Synergy head and for all intents and purposes, start over with a new system.

Experts, what are my options? Thanks so much in advance!

Mike P said:
So, I'm thrilled with the sound of the first channel of the ENGL Savage in the RM100. But from reading this forum, it seems as if I'll need either a Synergy Amp or a Syn 1 or 2 to take full advantage of the SLO, Friedman, etc.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

I'd like to begin adding more Syn modules but if they're not going to be able to reach their full potential in an RM100, it kind of throws my entire wheelhouse into a tornado, as I really don't want to purchase a Synergy head and for all intents and purposes, start over with a new system.

Experts, what are my options? Thanks so much in advance!

Your most cost effective option will be to have a cathode bias switch installed on your RM100, or have the stock cathode bias set to whichever Synergy setting you are most likely to use.

Mattallica said:
Your most cost effective option will be to have a cathode bias switch installed on your RM100, or have the stock cathode bias set to whichever Synergy setting you are most likely to use.

Thanks for the info!

Is the cathode bias switch something that I'd have to change with each module on the RM100?

If I were to use the modules in a Synergy 2, would I still need to change the cathode bias or is it automatic?

Thanks again for the help! :)

Mike P said:
Mattallica said:

Thanks for the info!

Is the cathode bias switch something that I'd have to change with each module on the RM100?

If I were to use the modules in a Synergy 2, would I still need to change the cathode bias or is it automatic?

Thanks again for the help! :)

It is a manual switch, so it depends on what modules you have in the RM100. If all three are Marshall based, then no. If you have one Fender, Soldano and Marshall then you will have to change the switch to get the same response as the Synergy heads.

Synergy amps + Synergy modules = automatic

Randall amps + Synergy modules = Randall bias

Synergy amps + Randall modules = Randall bias

Mattallica said:
It is a manual switch, so it depends on what modules you have in the RM100. If all three are Marshall based, then no. If you have one Fender, Soldano and Marshall then you will have to change the switch to get the same response as the Synergy heads.

Wow, thank you so much for the info! It's greatly appreciated. :D

Mike P said:
Mattallica said:

Wow, thank you so much for the info! It's greatly appreciated. :D

You are most welcome. Rob will be the man to talk to if you want to get the mod done

I received a Soldano SLO last night and just had a chance to plug it in. Saying "Wow!!!" is an understatement. Whether it's with a Charvel (JB/Jazz) or a Fender Custom Shop Mary Kay Strat, this amp just sings! It's soooo smooth, especially on the top end.

I haven't tried it will full-on gain just yet but for mid-gain, this could easily become my Go-To module. It's definitely the best sounding Mid Gain module I've ever heard.

I'm just blown away. :D

Definitely look into the cathode bias select mod for your Randall, it's great to re-visit your Randall/Egnater mods with different cathode settings. I use an RM4 with the stock Randall/Egnater Fender setting and an M4 with the mod set to boutique.

LOHIlQq.jpg

I'd never heard of a Cathode Switch before this thread. After doing a little reading, most indicated that the cathode switch affects the feel - the sag, lag, squishiness - and not the tone.

Is that correct?

Also, I love the Soldano and ENGL so much that I ordered an HBE. I'm loading up! :)

Mike P said:
I'd never heard of a Cathode Switch before this thread. After doing a little reading, most indicated that the cathode switch affects the feel - the sag, lag, squishiness - and not the tone.

Is that correct?

Also, I love the Soldano and ENGL so much that I ordered an HBE. I'm loading up! :)

No, it effects the tone a bit too. It effects the feel in part by acting as a high-pass filter as well as whatever else it does; fender/setting-1 doesn't filter any low end, boutique/setting-3 filters a bit out, and marshall/setting-2 seems to filter the most bass out. with the HBE set to its "correct" setting of position 2 it's too bright to throw a boost in front of it (and many might argue it doesn't need it, but I'll agree to disagree with those people) but switching it to setting-1 fattens it up a fair bit and then tossing a TS-style boost in front gets me where I want to be with it.

In a way it's like being able to do a quick - and also instantly/easily reversible - mod to the module to get it to sound and react the way you want it to.

RipperShred said:
No, it effects the tone a bit too. It effects the feel in part by acting as a high-pass filter as well as whatever else it does; fender/setting-1 doesn't filter any low end, boutique/setting-3 filters a bit out, and marshall/setting-2 seems to filter the most bass out. with the HBE set to its "correct" setting of position 2 it's too bright to throw a boost in front of it (and many might argue it doesn't need it, but I'll agree to disagree with those people) but switching it to setting-1 fattens it up a fair bit and then tossing a TS-style boost in front gets me where I want to be with it.

In a way it's like being able to do a quick - and also instantly/easily reversible - mod to the module to get it to sound and react the way you want it to.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

In addition to the HBE coming in next week, I'm planning to grab a couple of Syn-2's and (gulp!), a Two Notes Torpedo Studio in the coming weeks.

I'm sure all of the people that know me here on the forum are shocked to hear a purist like me, who's always recorded guitars with mic's, preamps, speaker cabinets, etc., is considering going "In the Box" but the honest truth is that I've run out of room in my guitar closet for more guitars and basses and the only option is to ax the Bogner Cube, Mojave FET and treatment in order to fit more instruments.

Now, if I don't like the results, I'll definitely continue recording the cabinet but if I can duplicate it (and in my correspondence with Two Notes, they have a Mojave FET 201 microphone option), I'll go that route. It'll be a bit weird at first I'm sure but as long as the results stand up...

Also, I didn't want to make a thread for this but I figured I'd share with all of my friends in this forum: Earlier this week, I signed an Artist Endorsement deal with Synergy.

I'm stoked, to say the least. :D

Congratulations, Mike! Of all the Synergy mods, I like the HBE the best. An SLO just arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.