Metroplex, VH4 and another SYN-2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P

Reaction score
I picked up another SYN-2 today along with a Metroplex and VH4 late this afternoon and I've only had about 30 minutes to run through both modules but once I get them dialed in, I'll post some clips.

First impressions: The VH4 is just outright awesome. I mean, good grief, what a tone machine! I can definitely see this module playing a huge role moving forward as it's fast, articulate, has gain for days and offers so many tonal options.

The Metroplex, on the other hand, is different than I expected. I've tried all three cathode positions and while I like the 3rd (far right) the best for me, it's still pretty flabby, even with the Sag completely off (fully counter-clockwise). I've tried a bunch of different Celestion IR speaker combinations that I've created the past few weeks and it's been difficult to find "the right one". I may have to try a few Ownhammer IR's (the GNR bundle might fit the bill) but it's just way looser than I expected, especially after checking out various YouTube videos.

It's super flabby with a Les Paul loaded with Classic 57 Plus in the bridge, even with the bass turned way down. It's not "bad" by any means, but as mentioned earlier, it's definitely "different" than I expected.

Edit: The more time I spend playing through the Metro Plex, the "tighter" is seems to become, which isn't unusual since most modules require at least 20 hours of playing time to "burn in" the brand new components.

How os the Diezel compared to the SLO?

And how is that Camerica mod?

Kriig said:
How os the Diezel compared to the SLO?

My apologies for the vague description but in the short period of time that I've been able to compare, they're very "different". I could probably dial them in to sound very similar (especially in a mix). But overall, the mids, bass and treble on the Diezel are all in different places than the SLO. The Diezel is super, super tight and defined. I wouldn't say it's "glassy", it's just very tight. The SLO can be tight but when it's set like an actual SLO head, it has a thick, spongy, chewy feel whereas the Diezel is purely tight shred. I prefer the SLO set as tight as possible and even then, it's way more chewy than the Diezel.

They're both amazing modules, IMO.

Kriig said:
And how is that Camerica mod?

The Camerica is completely and utterly dope. To me, it's the quintessential high gain modded Marshall. It's completely different than the Synergy HBE. Nothing, to my ears, is similar or shared. I can't say enough good things about the Camerica and I've probably used it on 75% of the guitar driven tracks I've cut in the past 3 years, which is somewhere around 200 or so.

That said, I am unbelievably stoked about all of the Synergy modules I've purchased to date because they're all different in their own way.

Very cool. Thanks.

I’m looking at the Camerica, MarkUS and CAE mod, and it seems like Salvation do modifies the 2-channel mods also now.
Not sure if i need the CAE, since the SLO do sound so amazing, but the word «need» is way out anyway :mrgreen:

Yep, I agree, the SLO has a great chewy and grindy bottom end to it. It's looser and rawer sounding.
The VH4 is just a tight slap to the head, very punchy and immediate.