Is Synergy dead before it begins?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewiv

Reaction score
The used market is deader than dead. The "new" gear they plan to release is far from groundbreaking when compared to the 10+ year old Egnater gear. Unless they have a marketing campaign lined up that rivals Apple, Nike and Budweiser wrapped together I honestly don't see this going anywhere. The fact it's taking Synergy years to release a product that's been designed for over a decade is even more troubling. Maybe I'm a sourpuss today, but these are my rambling thoughts.

I feel the same. I just want to see if the Friedman and Bogner mods will come and be any better than whats out there. No real need, just what to know

Does this mean I shouldn't bother selling my MOD50 and modules?
Seriously.

I'm using my pedals through my Fender more, and the Eggie stuff is too expensive to keep if I'm not playing it.
I'm not giving it away though.

Bucksears said:
the Eggie stuff is too expensive to keep if I'm not playing it.
I'm not giving it away though.

The bad news is....if you want to sell it...yes you are giving it away. I was amazed at what I ended up letting some gear go for recently....it's a DEAD market. The Facebook group is your best bet if you're selling something.

I feel the same, just want the official Friedman mods and the M2 to use with Randall gear...

I have two MOD50s gathering dust...well one of them I play but t sell them, would have to be given away.

Not that it's a BAD amp to be stuck with - it's not a $2400 solid-state Peavey.
I probably need a better cab/speakers to run it through.

Maybe when the Synergy stuff gets out in the wild, there might be more interest.

I'm not saying it's bad gear, quite the contrary - it's great gear. Almost guaranteed I will always have it, but attempting to downsize at the moment is futile. My only point is, if you can't give away the used gear, what kind of market is there for NEW gear?

drewiv said:
I'm not saying it's bad gear, quite the contrary - it's great gear. Almost guaranteed I will always have it, but attempting to downsize at the moment is futile. My only point is, if you can't give away the used gear, what kind of market is there for NEW gear?

Drew is right, downsizing right now sucks.... just did it.

Does anyone here have a Synergy amp on order?

JayDA said:
drewiv said:

Drew is right, downsizing right now sucks.... just did it.

Does anyone here have a Synergy amp on order?

Signed up for $1,600 worth of stuff....of course, payment not due until it's available :)

Here's my 2 cents.

Interfaces are all overpriced.

It'll be interesting to hear the Modules, but good luck beating the tone on some of Anthony's Modules.

Not holding my breath for any of it to be released.

My only remaining hope is the fact that someone (audiomidi?) has been playing the new stuff on a somewhat regular basis.
Again, we'll see.

If that stuff DOES make it to market, I think it will be a hit. The E2 will be the unit everyone will want as an add-on to their current amp.

If it takes yet another NAMM show to demo it, I think folks will probably move on.

I think it will get to market and I've added my name to the list for some stuff. However I think that it's always going to be something of a niche market.

Guitarists are pretty conservative and if you look at most of the stuff we are using it was made in (or derived from stuff made in) the 1950's.

Even the Kemper / AXFX / Helix / BIAS stuff, while very advanced, just lets you sound like these old amps and their newer interpretations.

I remember showing a friend of mine my RM100 and he was astonished at the thought of changing the preamp module - it was a mixture of amazement and blasphemy :)

My concern is the long gaps with no updates
I do appreciate audiojace posting here as he seems to
Be in touch and does chime in when he can

The reason I am concerned is I feel that
This is a familiar pattern we have seen it with new Egnater products
That takes years and never come to market

Also as studio mentioned above none of the builders seem
To want to talk about it it's not on Soldanos page
Freidman just released his runt series that is very reasonable priced
Why would someone by the SYN 50 for close to 3000
Loaded if the could get a runt or an HR25 from Soldano
For under 2000

Freyette is another great builder but he took deposits
On a Kickstarter and 2 years later the product started to trickle out
Morgan another partner has a thread from hell at TGP
About his business practice

And again as studio said Bruce doesn't speak much on Synergy mostly amp building classes

So it has been all in all a little disappointing
Even if they said it's gotta be another 90 days that to me would be better than
Hanging

Yeah, my suggestion is to keep your gear unless you're truly over MTS. I've reached the absolute lowest prices that I'm willing to sell my gear. I'll keep what I can't sell and pick up a SYN1 to run that stuff. I'm not donating to your charity sorry, :lol:

I think it'll start trickling out (within the next year) and you'll see the demos from Pete Thorn. I recall seeing him demo the M4 and other egnater products. The only thing that is keeping me positive is the relationship between Bruce, Friedman and Fryette. Will it be better than what's out there now... marginally better is my guess.

Amp builders need to keep things under their hats longer than they are. Don't announce a product until 6 months before it truly comes out. There nothing worse than waiting for months and then not hearing anything for several more.

My guess is that Synergy will be shipping by the upcoming NAMM show. This is NOT official info, it's just my best guess.
Waiting sucks. I hate waiting too. But I'd rather have it right than fast.

As far as I'm conserned Synergy will be the best version of these modular products to date. Although they will be backwards compatible with older modules and such, I'm very excited about the new feature sets with all of this new hardware. The potential for amazing new products is also very exciting.

The fact that Friedman has a lower cost amp line now is irrelevent. There have been plenty of other great amp options at the price point before now. None of that changes the benefits of a modular system that sounds amazing! There's a reason that we all chose to get in to this modular world! Great tones with lots of different flavors to choose from. You're not locked in to one sound. No mater how great that one sound is, we're always looking for something different. The fact that I can order a new module for a few hundered dollars and simply load it in to a slot to get a brand new, high quailty amp tone is never lost on me. Most of us have only ever used single channel Randall modules. New users will have access to two channel modules. That's a big deal!

However, these modular products that we've all been enjoying are unknown to the majority of guitarists. Most people will be hearing about these products for the first time when the Synergy marketing kicks in. The SYN-1 and SYN-2 will apeal to any player who has a good amp with a series FX loop. This opens up the modular products to a completely different audience than it has had before. I really think Synergy is going to do very well.

audiomidijace said:
My guess is that Synergy will be shipping by the upcoming NAMM show.

How many times have I heard that one? :roll:

audiomidijace said:
The fact that Friedman has a lower cost amp line now is irrelevent. There have been plenty of other great amp options at the price point before now.

Actually if you take a look, you will find that there are NO "mass produced" 50w heads in this price point. $2800 for a 50w head, with premade circuit boards and plugged in wire harnesses is ridiculous. (My opinion)

audiomidijace said:
The fact that I can order a new module for a few hundered dollars and simply load it in to a slot to get a brand new, high quailty amp tone is never lost on me.

That's a good point, but again... $2800 for a loaded 50w head? A loaded SYN-2 for $1600? I'm a guy that wastes money all day every day... Soooooooo.... Somebody must be living in Colorado LoL

audiomidijace said:
However, these modular products that we've all been enjoying are unknown to the majority of guitarists. Most people will be hearing about these products for the first time when the Synergy marketing kicks in.

Yup, but I doubt they're gonna line up to pay those prices.

audiomidijace said:
I really think Synergy is going to do very well.

I'm sure Bruce appreciates your optimism hah

..but I'll be surprised when we see it.

My prediction. Eventually we'll see something. Some guys will put up the $$. That'll free up some RM4's and MOD50's and etc for some kids to snag up... Synergy fizzles out in less than 2 years. I suppose those guys could prop it up indefinitely (with amp class money) but... People been talking about this stuff for years. It's just silly at this point. The other thing that's silly is that Anthony was not asked to build a Synergy Module for the launch... ..and for that matter Rob should be in this too. That's just stupid not to include those guys. If they hadn't been making Modules all this time...... Well lets just say IMO Bruce should be thankful they've been doing it. Just my opinion, and I'm an *******, so there's that LoL

Bruce doesn't have much interest, finacially and developmentally speaking, in Synergy. He has pretty much handed over the reins to the new group. Not saying he isn't involved, but it isn't his baby.

I'd be happy to see Synergy do well as the market for used gear would increase, I suspect. I also believe that many involved, i.e. Friedman, Soldano, Fryette etc., look at this as a secondary or tertiary project - at best. I don't imagine them looking at this as their Gooden Goose.

drewiv said:
Bruce doesn't have much interest, finacially and developmentally speaking, in Synergy. He has pretty much handed over the reins to the new group. Not saying he isn't involved, but it isn't his baby.

I'd be happy to see Synergy do well as the market for used gear would increase, I suspect. I also believe that many involved, i.e. Friedman, Soldano, Fryette etc., look at this as a secondary or tertiary project - at best. I don't imagine them looking at this as their Gooden Goose.

I agree ,I think Synergy is a great idea but it is coming in a bit late .
for the last 2 or 3 years if you are looking at having a multitude of tones the
modellers have improved incredibly .the Fractal box at 1399 the Line6 Helix
1499 they do a lot and the amp models continue to improve . The thing about modellers is most guys generally find they love 5 or 6 models and after a while gravitate to one sound , no one needs 20 amps or modules.
I just cannot imagine people changing modules on a gig

I think Freidman releasing the Runt is relevant because if you want Friedman tone on a budget there it it .
A syn 50 watt head loaded for $2800 to get a BE $399 mod OR go full blown Freidman for $1799

Soldano same thing he has the hot rod 25 or used HR50

DZL is also working on a 2 ch 25 watt smaller head.

drewiv said:

Well that probably makes Synergy even less likely to succeed I think.

what I think is a drag and really unfair to the existing, already operating modders, is that Synergy came to the forum and hyped a lot of new things, slapped up their logo without including any of the guys that are in the game, Salvo, JF, SG....and for a year the forum has been at a stand still because of that and there is no Synergy

I know, it's coming and it's wonderful. Still, kind of sucks

Meanwhile the value of MTS has bottomed out in anticipation.

It would have been a much nicer thing of Synergy to have made their statements and left the forum alone and let it carry on as it was and then show up with product.

As it stands, they've just kind of wrecked a good thing

I hope it is wonderful for their sake. If Bogner does not get involved that might say something....like why devalue his brand offering a pre-amp at a lower price in a system that may not have legs

Also, my opinions