Waiting on a comparison demo

Area for the Synergy line of amps and modules
lintycreep
RM100
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 pm
Location: PA

Waiting on a comparison demo

Post by lintycreep » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:12 pm

It's great that Synergy is finally here. I would love to see a demo of old modules in a Synergy (pre)amp go up against the new modules. I don't think I can purchase one until I see a unbiased review. I was hoping someone here would have done this already, but I guess it is still pretty new. Would love to see the Soldano module vs a JF/SM version.
SM: Masholdano, Baseman, Camerock,
SG: Fisch
Stock duels: COD

withmittens
Lynch Box
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Beacon, NY
Contact:

Post by withmittens » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:46 pm

that would be the meat.
RM22, RM4
CrazyNuts' Dirty Sanchez, DuoPlex, Selma, Supra, Twinface, Evil Kitty, CC30, XTC
SG, LP Std., Strat, TELE

Spencer4hire
RM100
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: Camas Washington

Post by Spencer4hire » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 pm

I would be curious if the JF/Salvation modules sound better or worse through the Synergy hardware.

JKD
Donating Member
Posts: 4975
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am
Location: NorCal

Post by JKD » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 pm

Spencer4hire wrote:I would be curious if the JF/Salvation modules sound better or worse through the Synergy hardware.
Define better?

I would say the Synergy modules sound better than their modded counterparts. Tighter/clarity and perhaps sound gainer - part of that recipie is in the module, part in the input circuit of the amp (in my case SYN2.)

That said, I sincerely doubt you would hear it on a recording and it could even be explained away by different preamp tubes.

I'll have an SLO side by side with a Salvation on Weds...I could literally A/B them in the SYN2.

I will also have a VH4 with the DZilla and Benzin....you will notice the latter two are already up for sale...I am that sure, based on my experience with the BE/HBE.

I don't know if you'd call that biased but I drank the kool aid a long time ago.
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, GTO, SuperV

Spencer4hire
RM100
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: Camas Washington

Post by Spencer4hire » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 pm

I am just wondering if the Synergy amps are better sounding than the Egnater/Randall versions. I am not looking to get rid of my many modded modules but if the amps sound better I might be willing to upgrade to a Synergy one. I am glad you are enjoying the Synergy gear after such a long wait.

Bucksears
RM50
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Post by Bucksears » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:39 am

Yeah, the demos are going to be a deciding factor for me, but not by much. The one I'd love to hear is an EG5 vs the new SLO.

I have all ideas the Metroplex, AC, DS and BE/HBE are going to sound better than my current Egnater VX and SL2X mods. Maybe even the upgraded T/D vs my Eggie T/D.
Not that the Egnater modules sound bad (no way), it's just that the EG5 does what it does SO WELL (IMO): big, tight, flat/full mids hi-gain with abundant treble if you want it.

JKD
Donating Member
Posts: 4975
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am
Location: NorCal

Post by JKD » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 am

Bucksears wrote:Yeah, the demos are going to be a deciding factor for me, but not by much. The one I'd love to hear is an EG5 vs the new SLO.

I have all ideas the Metroplex, AC, DS and BE/HBE are going to sound better than my current Egnater VX and SL2X mods. Maybe even the upgraded T/D vs my Eggie T/D.
Not that the Egnater modules sound bad (no way), it's just that the EG5 does what it does SO WELL (IMO): big, tight, flat/full mids hi-gain with abundant treble if you want it.
If we're all honest...couldn't we have made do with that EG5? Close enough for that tone right?

My expectation of the SLO is that it's going to be very close to that EG5 or a Salvation Salvado...which by the way has a clean(er) channel on ChA...but maybe with less noise.

The difference is a I get an SLO module from Synergy I think....which in turn came with the blessing of the original amp designer, unless I'm mistaken.

None of this should be taken negatively, all are great products. :D
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, GTO, SuperV

gtrlw
RM100
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Post by gtrlw » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:22 pm

I was skeptical after having gone in and out of modular over the past 7 years. At the last minute I changed my initial order of a loaded Syn2 to a Syn1 with a SLO mod. Wish I hadn't. IMHO This new gear is a game changer. The SLO is chewy, 3D sounding, has sizzle and a nice bottom end and doesn't sound the least bit sterile or small when A/B into the loop of my JVM. It sounds like another channel of my amp and that is exactly what I was looking for.

MarcoR
Donating Member
Posts: 905
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Frederick, MD

Post by MarcoR » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:50 pm

gtrlw wrote:I was skeptical after having gone in and out of modular over the past 7 years. At the last minute I changed my initial order of a loaded Syn2 to a Syn1 with a SLO mod. Wish I hadn't. IMHO This new gear is a game changer. The SLO is chewy, 3D sounding, has sizzle and a nice bottom end and doesn't sound the least bit sterile or small when A/B into the loop of my JVM. It sounds like another channel of my amp and that is exactly what I was looking for.
Where is the like button?
Synergy: SYN2, Friedman DS, HBE
Self Modded: Egnater B'Man, SL2X
Amps: VHT 2/50/2, RM50, Landry LS100 G3, Splawn Quick Rod, Marshall 6100LM

lintycreep
RM100
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 pm
Location: PA

Post by lintycreep » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Define better?

I would say the Synergy modules sound better than their modded counterparts. Tighter/clarity and perhaps sound gainer - part of that recipie is in the module, part in the input circuit of the amp (in my case SYN2.)

That said, I sincerely doubt you would hear it on a recording and it could even be explained away by different preamp tubes.

I'll have an SLO side by side with a Salvation on Weds...I could literally A/B them in the SYN2.

I will also have a VH4 with the DZilla and Benzin....you will notice the latter two are already up for sale...I am that sure, based on my experience with the BE/HBE.

I don't know if you'd call that biased but I drank the kool aid a long time ago.
Can't wait to hear what you think. My initial thought was to go SLO and HBE to pair up with my Friedman Smallbox. How do the BE and HBE channels differ? I realize the HBE is "hairier", but the dual channels are what interest me. Is the 2nd channel of BE close to the 1st channel of HBE?
I was skeptical after having gone in and out of modular over the past 7 years. At the last minute I changed my initial order of a loaded Syn2 to a Syn1 with a SLO mod. Wish I hadn't. IMHO This new gear is a game changer. The SLO is chewy, 3D sounding, has sizzle and a nice bottom end and doesn't sound the least bit sterile or small when A/B into the loop of my JVM. It sounds like another channel of my amp and that is exactly what I was looking for.
That's exactly what I was waiting to hear. Think I'm gonna stick with the SYN1 myself. I like the portability of it... would love to see Mark Cameron designed module. If they could put there differences aside, he could make a little cash and they could pull all the Rig-Talkers in without a doubt. Could be a win/win for all.
SM: Masholdano, Baseman, Camerock,
SG: Fisch
Stock duels: COD

Johnny Wadd
Lynch Box
Posts: 538
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:57 am
Location: Michigan

Post by Johnny Wadd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:35 pm

No one has 5 mins for a quick and dirty side by side ?

Rising Farce
Lynch Box
Posts: 764
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: Gamecock Country
Contact:

Post by Rising Farce » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:59 pm

If anyone is taking requests, I'd love to hear some VH4 clips. I have one on the way, along with an HBE, but the shipment has been indefinitely delayed by Irma-related logistical chaos.

JKD
Donating Member
Posts: 4975
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am
Location: NorCal

Post by JKD » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Rising Farce wrote:If anyone is taking requests, I'd love to hear some VH4 clips. I have one on the way, along with an HBE, but the shipment has been indefinitely delayed by Irma-related logistical chaos.
Nooooo!

The BE and HBE sound magical, the SLO perhaps even more so.

The VH4 I'm not yet convinced but then I never bonded with DIEZEL tone using vintage pickups and I have three varieties now, time to bust out the EMGs I think!
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, GTO, SuperV

Rising Farce
Lynch Box
Posts: 764
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: Gamecock Country
Contact:

Post by Rising Farce » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:48 pm

JKD wrote:
Rising Farce wrote:If anyone is taking requests, I'd love to hear some VH4 clips. I have one on the way, along with an HBE, but the shipment has been indefinitely delayed by Irma-related logistical chaos.
Nooooo!

The BE and HBE sound magical, the SLO perhaps even more so.

The VH4 I'm not yet convinced but then I never bonded with DIEZEL tone using vintage pickups and I have three varieties now, time to bust out the EMGs I think!
Do it! I need to live vicariously through you until my modules arrive.

crankyrayhanky
Lynch Box
Posts: 3418
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 7:34 am
Contact:

Post by crankyrayhanky » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:12 pm

we all live through JKD now! Any clip appreciated yo!

Post Reply