Synergy VH4 Issue (resolved) - MID pot faulty confirmed

Area for the Synergy line of amps and modules
JKD
Donating Member
Posts: 4991
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am
Location: NorCal

Synergy VH4 Issue (resolved) - MID pot faulty confirmed

Post by JKD » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Short poll here guys. please only comment if you own or have owned the Synergy VH4:

1. Have you had any issue with your module? Yes/No

2. If yes, what configuration are you playing it with?

I have an intermittent issue, seemingly random, with mine and trying to find commonality / troubleshooting.

To be clear, there's no complaint here *at all*...was just trying to see how many more there were out there to gather data on symptoms.

I honestly wouldn't have expected anything else on an intermittent failure, the CS team has been nothing but flawless experience.
Last edited by JKD on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE, AC
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT, VX
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, SuperV

JKD
Donating Member
Posts: 4991
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am
Location: NorCal

Post by JKD » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:05 am

Here's my post:

1. YES

2. Intermittent issue where Blue Channel will suddenly become much louder than Red Channel and Tone controls have no effect (like they are bypassed/running wide open) and only GAIN / VOLUME works

Has happened in SYN2/4CM in loop of MOD50, directly in Egnater MOD 50 and in Randall RM100 (two channel kit)

I have ruled out Tube failures, swapped PCM ribbon cables and unit has been on the bench at Synergy - No Fault Found / Can Not Duplicate :-/
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE, AC
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT, VX
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, SuperV

gtr31
Lynch Box
Posts: 561
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:48 pm
Location: ottawa

Post by gtr31 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:21 am

my guess is if you have changed both tubes in the module .
you must have something loose or a cold solder joint somewhere

I think if they can't find it ,they should just send you a new one and test it first .

FYI, another user Jason said the same on TGP yesterdays that his VH4 stopped working , so maybe its something in the actual PCB in that batch that didn't seat right

good luck

webrthomson
Donating Member
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 12:05 pm
Location: Glasgow (UK)

Re: Synergy VH4 Owners only

Post by webrthomson » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:54 am

I've not noticed this happening either running in my Mod50 or in my SYN2 in the loop of my VH4.

Hope you get it sorted!

Ross

withmittens
Lynch Box
Posts: 1117
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Beacon, NY
Contact:

Post by withmittens » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:36 am

is there trouble getting warranty service?
RM22, RM4
CrazyNuts' Dirty Sanchez, DuoPlex, Selma, Supra, Twinface, Evil Kitty, CC30, XTC
SG, LP Std., Strat, TELE

JKD
Donating Member
Posts: 4991
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am
Location: NorCal

Post by JKD » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 pm

withmittens wrote:is there trouble getting warranty service?
Nope, it's been in for service and they cannot find the problem.

There is nothing physically on the board that would indicate a poor or cold solder joint (I used to be a QA guy on this stuff) but I agree the symptoms are like that or a failing component...juts chances are I will plug it in today and it will be fine for a few days :-/

Jason contacted me over at RT too, so we'll see what becomes of his module.

I am trying to see how widespread it is..since I've heard of two other cases so far.
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE, AC
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT, VX
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, SuperV

tschrama
RM100
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:32 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by tschrama » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Gnd connection og the middel pot failing?

That would explain your symptoms.
my small atelier called 's-Gravenmade | Follow me www.sgravenmade.com | Join my Amp Building Workshop 14 april 2018

Good deals with: C2ply, BenMesaBoog, YouguitarHero, nitrous12, kylendm.

withmittens
Lynch Box
Posts: 1117
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: Beacon, NY
Contact:

Post by withmittens » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:23 pm

JKD wrote:
withmittens wrote:is there trouble getting warranty service?
Nope, it's been in for service and they cannot find the problem.

There is nothing physically on the board that would indicate a poor or cold solder joint (I used to be a QA guy on this stuff) but I agree the symptoms are like that or a failing component...juts chances are I will plug it in today and it will be fine for a few days :-/

Jason contacted me over at RT too, so we'll see what becomes of his module.

I am trying to see how widespread it is..since I've heard of two other cases so far.
wait, you have a new module that is covered under warranty and they elected to send it back rather than replace it? leaving you to figure it out? what am I missing? Sorry, I don't understand
RM22, RM4
CrazyNuts' Dirty Sanchez, DuoPlex, Selma, Supra, Twinface, Evil Kitty, CC30, XTC
SG, LP Std., Strat, TELE

JKD
Donating Member
Posts: 4991
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am
Location: NorCal

Post by JKD » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:50 pm

withmittens wrote:
JKD wrote:
withmittens wrote:is there trouble getting warranty service?
Nope, it's been in for service and they cannot find the problem.

There is nothing physically on the board that would indicate a poor or cold solder joint (I used to be a QA guy on this stuff) but I agree the symptoms are like that or a failing component...juts chances are I will plug it in today and it will be fine for a few days :-/

Jason contacted me over at RT too, so we'll see what becomes of his module.

I am trying to see how widespread it is..since I've heard of two other cases so far.
wait, you have a new module that is covered under warranty and they elected to send it back rather than replace it? leaving you to figure it out? what am I missing? Sorry, I don't understand
It's not unusual for a manufacturer to send the same unit back if it's No Fault Found or Can Not Duplicate the error....since there's no guarantee it's not user error. Up to their policy but was their call on whether to either send a new unit or the same one back, since either way cannot be guaranteed to solve the problem.

In this case, if I cannot resolve..it will surely have to go back again....I am hoping to collect data to pin it down further.
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE, AC
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT, VX
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, SuperV

JKD
Donating Member
Posts: 4991
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am
Location: NorCal

Post by JKD » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:14 pm

tschrama wrote:Gnd connection og the middel pot failing?

That would explain your symptoms.
I would have thought it might be the treble pot....interesting.

Pots usually have three connections right - wiper and either end of track right?

Plus a case/chassis ground?

In any case, the mid pot on the affected channel is behaving completely differently to the other channel, whereas Ch A is showing a good sweep of resistance as I turn the pot....Ch B seems to be stubbornly staying a high resistance (0.4-0.5MOhm) whatever position the pot is in.....is actually .473MOhm
Last edited by JKD on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE, AC
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT, VX
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, SuperV

Bleedback
RM20
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Post by Bleedback » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:34 pm

Not to hijack...but definitely keep Synergy on their toes. My 'customer service' experience with Synergy was pretty terrible.

JKD
Donating Member
Posts: 4991
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am
Location: NorCal

Post by JKD » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:51 pm

Bleedback wrote:Not to hijack...but definitely keep Synergy on their toes. My 'customer service' experience with Synergy was pretty terrible.
I sent them an email with info gathered in this thread and request for exchange plus best wishes for New Year of course :-)

I am reasonably confident they will provide a satisfactory solution based on experiences to date.

I've some electronics experience but not in tube amps plus used to work in QA/Reliability testing and in a startup....life can get on top of you sometimes. :-)
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE, AC
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT, VX
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, SuperV

tschrama
RM100
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:32 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by tschrama » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:20 am

JKD wrote:
tschrama wrote:Gnd connection og the middel pot failing?

That would explain your symptoms.
I would have thought it might be the treble pot....interesting.

Pots usually have three connections right - wiper and either end of track right?

Plus a case/chassis ground?

In any case, the mid pot on the affected channel is behaving completely differently to the other channel, whereas Ch A is showing a good sweep of resistance as I turn the pot....Ch B seems to be stubbornly staying a high resistance (0.4-0.5MOhm) whatever position the pot is in.....is actually .473MOhm
More reason to believe that the GND lug of the middle pot isnt making contact with GND.. When the wiper of the middle pot is set to zero, it should make contact with GND. Either e cracked pot or a failing GND connection.. Would explain your measurement and symptoms.

Eitherway easy fix if you give any tech this information.
my small atelier called 's-Gravenmade | Follow me www.sgravenmade.com | Join my Amp Building Workshop 14 april 2018

Good deals with: C2ply, BenMesaBoog, YouguitarHero, nitrous12, kylendm.

warmachine67
RM100
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:44 pm
Location: Alabama

Post by warmachine67 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:30 am

I've been considering getting into the synergy stuff this upcoming year, but if this is how they handle their customers, I'll just stick with what I have.

JKD
Donating Member
Posts: 4991
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am
Location: NorCal

Post by JKD » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:04 pm

warmachine67 wrote:I've been considering getting into the synergy stuff this upcoming year, but if this is how they handle their customers, I'll just stick with what I have.
To be clear, there's no complaint here *at all*...was just trying to see how many more there were out there to gather data on symptoms.

I honestly wouldn't have expected anything else on an intermittent failure, the CS team has been nothing but flawless experience.

Synergy are exchanging my module, they agreed with tschrama that the MID pot was faulty as I sent them the measurement result.
Synergy - HBE,SLO,VH4,TDLX,Plexi, ENGL,OS,BB/BE, AC
Salvation-Deadplate, Spawn, MarkUS, Dual Salvado+JJ Dirt+Terrier
JF-Dual Erect
Gigmods - Mark
Hilly-Snorkeler
Egnater -COD, ERECT, VX
Randall - Brahma,Scary, Grail, SuperV

Post Reply