will european modules work in 110/120v?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipperShred

Reaction score
Like if I bought a module from someone in europe will it work in my Syn2? Is it just the syn1/2/rm4 that needs to be voltage-compliant, or are do the modules need to be as well? Thanks everyone for your info in advance.

It's just the amp / preamp that needs to be voltage aware (230/240 in the EU and 110 in the US) - the mods will work as long as the amp does :)

webrthomson said:
It's just the amp / preamp that needs to be voltage aware (230/240 in the EU and 110 in the US) - the mods will work as long as the amp does :)
Thanks so much for confirming that for me. I do occasionally see a module for sale in the UK or Europe and think about purchasing them, and now I will.

RipperShred said:
webrthomson said:
Thanks so much for confirming that for me. I do occasionally see a module for sale in the UK or Europe and think about purchasing them, and now I will.

You are most welcome - happy shopping dude!

There is a small black switch at the top back of the Synergy modules. I thought this might be 110/240 v. If that's not what it is, what is it please?

werdna said:
There is a small black switch at the top back of the Synergy modules. I thought this might be 110/240 v. If that's not what it is, what is it please?

That is the Cathode selector switch - looking at the module from the top there are three settings position one (far left) position two (middle) and position three (far right) - here is Synergy’s explanation of what it does:

This three position switch allows you to configure the input tube bass response to match the original circuit of the selected module. This will affect the feel and tightness. Each amp designer has a specific combination of components that makes up their input tube circuit. We have selected the three most popular combinations which you can access with this switch. For example, Friedman modules use position 2. The USA voiced modules typically use setting 1. The Soldano SLO uses position 3. Of course, you can experiment and try any of the positions to see what you prefer. The modules will come preset
to the designers preferred setting which for the VH4 module is position 2 (2.7K resistor and .68uf capacitor).

There is a thread with further info here:

https://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=22152

Jaded Faith said:
I'll try to explain this in a way that should clear up the confusion.

In all systems MTS, the initial gain stage is always in the amp itself. The modules contain the 2nd through 5th stages and use as many as the need in a configuration of signal flow that is most traditional to the given circuit being emulated. For example, a Fender clean preamp like a stock Blackface would flow through the amps initial stage, plate coupled to the EQ, into a makeup gain stage and out through a cathode follower (not a traditional decision, but not all that significant either). A stock Plexi module would flow through the amps initial stage, through two more gain stages (again, a Plexi would have only had one here, but that's also why a stock Plexi can have more gain than the real deal. Trade offs for system flexibility) and then feed the EQ through a cathode follower.

Because gain stages in series are exponential regarding signal growth, the initial stage has a very significant influence on everything after it. The original Randall and Egnater MTS amps had a traditional Fender stage up front made up of a 100K plate resistor, 1K5 cathode resistor and a 22uF bypass cap. This provides a nearly full-frequency amplification (35.46dB) from 100hZ up, which covers almost all of the guitars relevant frequency range. A low E is 82Hz and the roll off is only 0.05dB down from 100Hz to 82Hz. Think of this as biasing the preamp tube stage.

The other two variations provided via the Synergy modules and hardware are a 2K7/0.68uF (traditional in a Marshall or Friedman) or a 1K8/1uF (traditional in a Soldano, Mesa Rectifier and Peavey 5150). The 2K7/0.68uF stage provides 35.45dB of amplification gain from about 1500hZ and up and rolls off to 28.88dB at 82Hz. The 1K8/1uF stage provides 35.45dB of amplification gain from about 1000hZ and up and 30.64dB at 82hZ. Similar to the Marshall-style selection, just a touch thicker sounding. The Fender-style selection of 1K5/22uF will be perceived as louder and thicker sounding by a good bit.

When modding modules, we always had to compensate for the first stage that we can not change at the module level. Various things were done like changing the initial coupling cap (the "C3" mods or switches documented here) or various other tuning decisions. The Tight/Bright switches on the Egnater dual channel modules provided variety stock in this respect. Various switches on modified modules added other options. When installing the JFM Input PCB, I often ask if there is a preference and build the front end accordingly. Dave Friedman typically changes it to a traditional Marshall stage on the MTS amps he has modified.

What is cool about the Synergy circuit is the ability to try three options at the stock module level. Just because something is "traditional" doesn't make it best for each player and situation.

Hope this helps clear some confusion up.

Jaded Faith's explanation above from that thread was great. Learned a ton in those few short paragraphs. :D

RipperShred said:
Jaded Faith said:
I'll try to explain this in a way that should clear up the confusion.

In all systems MTS, the initial gain stage is always in the amp itself. The modules contain the 2nd through 5th stages and use as many as the need in a configuration of signal flow that is most traditional to the given circuit being emulated. For example, a Fender clean preamp like a stock Blackface would flow through the amps initial stage, plate coupled to the EQ, into a makeup gain stage and out through a cathode follower (not a traditional decision, but not all that significant either). A stock Plexi module would flow through the amps initial stage, through two more gain stages (again, a Plexi would have only had one here, but that's also why a stock Plexi can have more gain than the real deal. Trade offs for system flexibility) and then feed the EQ through a cathode follower.

Because gain stages in series are exponential regarding signal growth, the initial stage has a very significant influence on everything after it. The original Randall and Egnater MTS amps had a traditional Fender stage up front made up of a 100K plate resistor, 1K5 cathode resistor and a 22uF bypass cap. This provides a nearly full-frequency amplification (35.46dB) from 100hZ up, which covers almost all of the guitars relevant frequency range. A low E is 82Hz and the roll off is only 0.05dB down from 100Hz to 82Hz. Think of this as biasing the preamp tube stage.

The other two variations provided via the Synergy modules and hardware are a 2K7/0.68uF (traditional in a Marshall or Friedman) or a 1K8/1uF (traditional in a Soldano, Mesa Rectifier and Peavey 5150). The 2K7/0.68uF stage provides 35.45dB of amplification gain from about 1500hZ and up and rolls off to 28.88dB at 82Hz. The 1K8/1uF stage provides 35.45dB of amplification gain from about 1000hZ and up and 30.64dB at 82hZ. Similar to the Marshall-style selection, just a touch thicker sounding. The Fender-style selection of 1K5/22uF will be perceived as louder and thicker sounding by a good bit.

When modding modules, we always had to compensate for the first stage that we can not change at the module level. Various things were done like changing the initial coupling cap (the "C3" mods or switches documented here) or various other tuning decisions. The Tight/Bright switches on the Egnater dual channel modules provided variety stock in this respect. Various switches on modified modules added other options. When installing the JFM Input PCB, I often ask if there is a preference and build the front end accordingly. Dave Friedman typically changes it to a traditional Marshall stage on the MTS amps he has modified.

What is cool about the Synergy circuit is the ability to try three options at the stock module level. Just because something is "traditional" doesn't make it best for each player and situation.

Hope this helps clear some confusion up.

Jaded Faith's explanation above from that thread was great. Learned a ton in those few short paragraphs. :D

Yup - Rob at Jaded Faith is a proper Gent :)