Plexi channel differences

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
I just got a Synergy Plexi module in a trade, and I've gotta say I'm impressed. I can get it in the same territory as my favorite modded MTS module (the Sacred Groove MK22) pretty easily. If this one is any indication, the stock Synergy modules are many miles ahead of the old stock Randall ones.

The only modular gear I have is old single-channel MTS stuff, so I only have access to one of the channels on the module. Do the two sound different? I'm guessing no, since I don't see a channel select switch on the board, and my understanding is that modules whose channels differ should have this.

There’s a two position switch on the back of the board of all Synergy modules that lets you select the channel.

Maybe that means both channels are the same. I have the twin/dlx, bman, and diezel and they all have the switch but they are all also dual eq. The pic on the Synergy site of the backside of the plexi shows the switch but maybe it’s not actually a plexi module in that shot.

Yeah, there's a resistor in that position on the actual module. It would make sense for both channels to be the same, considering what the original amp was like. Anyway, great module.

The channel switch is not on all the modules, only certain ones. Based on your comments above, it looks like that's a feature on the modules with dual EQ.

The plexi is a bit of an anomaly. It is possibly the best representation of a module from Synergy. That being said, I still find it lacks the amp feel that I get from salvation modules. I was able to get very close to the sounds of my MashAll+ with it, but it doesn’t breathe the same way. It’s hard to explain. That’s been my experience when comparing any salvation versus synergy module. Opinions vary of course.
Tim

Hopefully the Synergy mods will get gradually better and closer to capturing that feel with each rollout.

DoctorTim said:
The plexi is a bit of an anomaly. It is possibly the best representation of a module from Synergy. That being said, I still find it lacks the amp feel that I get from salvation modules. I was able to get very close to the sounds of my MashAll+ with it, but it doesn’t breathe the same way. It’s hard to explain. That’s been my experience when comparing any salvation versus synergy module. Opinions vary of course.
Tim

I think I *might* know what you mean. I feel like its lower-gain sounds are a little more compelling than the higher-gain sounds, which suits me as I have all the high-gain mods I need.

Can you use the 1st channel of it for clean? That would be my biggest interest in that module, being able to do clean and heavy.

Yeah, it doesn't really get clean. I'm running mine with both gain controls at or a little below 9:00 and it's still '70s crunchy.

I had the same experience. No matter what I did, I could never get a clean sound out of it. I didn't really bond with the Metroplex module, but I loved the Synergy Plexi.

The Metro is cool, but I owned both and the plexi was more of a brown sound to me. Even owned the 800, but would use the plexi when I wanted a Marshall sound. The other two are gone and the plexi remains.

The plexi paired with a tdlx covers so much ground. But, my ears aren’t gifted.

I would definitely say plexi, but you mileage may vary.

The Metro is suppose to be the early Van Halen super lead brown sound. The plexi does this also, but has a lot more flexibility with the dual gains.