Steve vai rig

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock2erik

Reaction score
Hi guys, I saw the video at namm 2020 in which Steve vai shows off his rig in which he has many modules rack mounted linked together and a pedal board (I think a midi one) that he uses to switch between any module. Can someone help me understand how to link together 4 or plus modules and which pedal board he's using?
thank you in advance

Any midi foot controller will select between the modules and their channels.
The easiest way to do this would be to make sure all units are set to the same MIDI channel and connect them like this:

1. Controller MIDI OUT > #1 preamp unit/head MIDI IN
2. #1 Preamp unit/head MIDI OUT > #2 preamp/head MIDI IN
3. Repeat 2 and add as many units as you want

After that you just need to program (or map) the desired MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE command from the controller to a specific channel/module you want.
You can also have the ability to map MIDI CC COMMANDS to the channels/modules you want, granted that the MIDI controller has the ability to do CC commands, which almost all newer units do.
Audio connections is another thing, it will depend on how many preamps units/heads you have, if you want to do stereo, wet/dry/wet rig, etc.

Ok so assuming that I'll use only synergy preamp my input jack has to be connected to the first preamp? How I link others preamps together?

rock2erik said:
Ok so assuming that I'll use only synergy preamp my input jack has to be connected to the first preamp? How I link others preamps together?

It depends what preamps you are talking about - SYN2's can be setup in a master / slave configuraion where you just daisy chain them up and the master controls output.

From the manual on mutiple SYN2's:

Connecting Multiple SYN2s

Follow the steps below to combine 2 or more SYN2 units. In this connection scheme the first SYN2 in thesignal chain is called the “Master” and the second SYN2 is the called the “Slave”.

1 Connect your instrument to the Input of the Master unit.
2 Run a cable from the "TO AMP IN" of the Master unit to the "INST. IN" on the rear panel of the Slave unit.
3 Connect the main output L/MONO of the Slave unit to the "FROM AMP FX SEND" of the Master unit.
4 Use the MAIN OUT(s) or the DI output(s) of the MASTER unit to connect to your power amp / monitors.
5 Program the Slave with the Master in Bypass Mode.

Note: When using the input on the front panel, the "INST IN" on the back panel is disengaged.

The same procedure is recommended for adding a third, fourth etc. unit to the systemFor most systems, it’s recommended that you set your SYN2s to the same MIDI channel. You can follow theprogramming instructions above, repeating the steps for each SYN2. When you want to access the secondSYN2, make sure that the first SYN2 is set to bypass.

If you want to mix and match other preamps, say a SYN2, a Mesa Boogie Triaxis and a Marshall JMP1, you would need something to control the signal path and do the switching for you. I use a Voodoo labs GCX switcher with a ground control pro to do exactly this.

Post the vid link and we can take a look and see what he's using :)

Hope that helps!

Ross

That's great to know! I was looking at rig configurations to play at home (right now, I live in a flat where I have to play unplugged as not to anger the neighbors, but I'm soon getting one of these houses in Greece for the holidays and I'll be able to play to my heart's content) and the fact that you can slave a Synergy 2 to another one is something I missed but that will be useful.

I have a similar question. Can the Boss GT100 be used as a midi controller for 4 modules. I use my boss for the effects only using 4 cable method (modulation goes in the loop of my current amp). I'm wanting a stereo rig also.

Alienwaterkiss said:
I have a similar question. Can the Boss GT100 be used as a midi controller for 4 modules. I use my boss for the effects only using 4 cable method (modulation goes in the loop of my current amp). I'm wanting a stereo rig also.

I dont see why not - you should be able to connect the midi out on the GT100 to the midi in on the SYN2 and send patch changes to it.

To test this simply set both the GT100 and the SYN2 to omni mode and press the first 4 patches on the GT100 (assuming they are sending midi patches 1-4, unless you have configured these otherwise this should be the case) and you will see the SYN2 cycle through the module channels.

Once you have done that simply set the midi channel on the GT100 and Syn2 to be the same and work out on the GT100 how to send the appropriate midi channel on a patch by patch basis on the GT100.

Ross

Interesting thread. I just ordered a SYN-2 to use with my Mesa Mark V in place of my SYN-1. I figure to add four channels to the Mesa instead of just two channels.

But I've been debating on how to do all the switching - buy the Synergy footswitch or do something else. It hadn't even dawned on me to use my GT-100 for this purpose. I guess it is a MIDI foot switch in and of itself, plus it has effects. Win, win!

That might actually solve another "problem". I didn't like the idea that I lost the ability to switch effects on and off via the Mesa footswitch. The Mark V has a loop that is selectable via foot switch, but when using the SYN to add channels, you have to engage the loop at all times. The SYN-1 and SYN-2 have their own loop, but they are always on. Using a Multi-FX's MIDI to change channels would put those FX right there too.