Get an EVH 5150 blue channel sound with BE/BB?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker22nd

Reaction score
I'm new to the Synergy world and my current rig is based around the ENGL Savage and the BE/BB in my Syn-2. This rig was designed to replace my EVH 5150 iii 50 watt and the Engl module is like a meaner red channel of the 5150 and a meaner than mean channel so my high gain appetite is satisfied and so is the BB component of the BE/BB for the clean sound. However, I miss the blue channel of my 5150, as the BE gain maxed doesn't nail what the blue channel does with its gain halfway up for lead guitar/delayed/chorused sounds. Other than a maxed gain, my bass, middle and treble are 8/8.5/8.5, respectively. Am I missing something here?

Are you trying to match the tone of the blue channel or the amount of gain?
If it's the tone, you might want to back off the controls and bring up the volume, the tone will change quite a bit.
If it's the gain, you might need a different mod.

Mostly tone - I want a tighter tone. So would it sound reasonable that I turn the bass/mid/treble controls back to like 5 and increase the volume accordingly? Gain isn't quite as important - although I'll take as much as I can get out of this thing.

@Mattalica - you've got a point, as I've used the blue channel of the Savage for my guitar solo/effected tones and sounds pretty good there but frankly I use my blue Channel of the Savage to do the work of my EVH's red channel, while the red channel of the savage is a tone I'll use here and there when an extra dose of poison is needed. The logic of the BE component of the Friedman was to get that EVH blue channel sound with the Friedman's gain on 5. I tried j4q0's strategy and it was an improvement over my idea but finally I went back to the video with the bald guy (link below, but you've seen it if you're here) that sold me on this module and now the tone is there - I just want to make sure the sustain is there so I can hit a note and milk that note as long as I want. Another variable is I've not even jammed with my drummer with any of this rig - it's all been in my apartment mancave so maybe the volume will bring it all together. The Savage module fucking rules and the BB component of the Friedman is great but I just want to make the BE distortion "all that" as I'd like to get a tone that can cover Alice in Chains and (with a little reverb) Jesus lizard as well as play some singing lead tones with delay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W2hB62tv-w&t=664s

Hey man - new to this forum, but have had a synergy for a bit and run it through a 5150 iii 50 watt. The HBE module is very close to the blue channel - just with a little more clarity. I have a/b them quite a bit and on the exact same eq, very close. The HBE just sounds a little better. Only problem for you is that it doesn’t clean up like the clean channel on the 5150, but I’d check it out if you want that tone.