Do I get into Synergy?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnboy10

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My First post :D I'm thinking of selling my Kemper and getting into the synergy family.
Has anyone made the jump from digital the Synergy ? If so I would love to know your thoughts any regrets?

Not sure if I should get the small head with the built in clean channel, or the SYN-1. Its for studio use only so just having access to one module at a time is fine.

Thanks

John

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? I have both a Kemper and Synergy.

johnboy10 said:
Not sure if I should get the small head with the built in clean channel, or the SYN-1. Its for studio use only so just having access to one module at a time is fine.

I don't have a Kemper (or an opinion on them vs tube amps), and I don't have a SYN-30 specifically, but:

YMMV, and others might have a different opinion on this, but my advice would be to try out both the SYN-1 and the head before buying, or get them from somewhere with a friendly return policy if trying them out ahead of time is not possible.

I have a SYN-2 and the SYN-50. While I think that the SYN-2 sounds good (I had it running into the effects return of a PRS MT15), I personally think that the SYN-50 sounds a bit better and all of my modules sound a tiny bit more open and full. It could be that it actually does sound better, or that it's a psychological affect of the price I spent on the SYN-50...I wouldn't discount either possibility. Either way, it's what I hear :lol:

I have been seaching for years for great clean and dirty tones in one a amp that sounded good at any volume. I finaly found it with the Synergy products. Initially I went with the SYN-1 and the SLO module into my Mesa DC-5 loop (6L6 power amp). I really liked the simpliclty of the setup and spent more time playing than tinkering with the Kemper, which I could never get to sound authentic. My current setup is the SYN-50 with the SYN-1 in the loop. I keep the BE-BB and SLO modules in the SYN-50 all the time and I have the TDLX, DS, Metroplex and Plexi modules which I swap in the SYN-1 whenever I want to change things up. I ended up selling the Kemper and the Mesa DC-5.

I recommend trying the SYN-1 into a 6L6 power amp so you can determine what the SYN-50 would sound like before going that route.

I am very content with this setup and I buy a new module every year. Im gonna go for one of the Bogners once they show up sometime this year. I hope this helps

Thanks for all the advice guys

My local store is waiting for stock to be delivered. Going for a demo when they arrive. Hopefully end of the week if all goes well.

Thanks again

So far, I'm very happy with mine. I formerly played the 50 watt EVH 5150 iii mini, which I loved, but I dig the Synergy tones through my Syn-2 into my Rocktron Velocity 300 (with Reactance and Definition pretty much dimed). Like ChrisB, one of my channels is the BE/BB (excellent clean and great overdrive/distortion just short of metal - this module is awesome) and my other channel is the ENGL Savage, as I dig really heavy metal-type distortions. I have a VH4 module for the Hell of it, but I currently prefer the Savage mod. Also, after playing the Synergy thru my cab, I plugged my 5150 back into it and noticed the 5150 sounded fizzy in comparison. Now, I haven't played the Synergy live yet (I've played the 5150 many times and it's sounded great) so I still reserve my final judgement until that moment but so far, it kicks ***.

I've been looking at MTS for a couple of years and I just jumped in a few days ago when I saw a Scorch for sale and couldn't pass it up. I also got a Syn 2 in a local sale

I've been amp swapping for the past 10-15 years or so. Basically, I was never really happy with any one tube amp, but couldn't afford to keep a stack of heads around. I tried a couple of modeling/digital options (Kemper, Fractal, Line 6), but was never super happy with the results. They sounded great, but often were a little fiddly to get sounding right and all in all, just too many options for me. I spent more time tweaking to get a 'great' sound than just playing.

The synergy stuff seems like it was made for people like me. I just want great amp tones without a ton of 'work'. You literally slide the SLO module in and get an amazing SLO tone without dealing with a ton of options/parameters. Just pure tone.

I prefer the sound/flexibility of the SYN-2 + SYN-5050 compared to the heads, but they are very similar.

My only complaint with they Synergy stuff is the build in cab sim. It's decent, but I wish they built in an IR loader. You can disable the cab sim and use your own, but still.

I am interested in the combo for a practice amp too, but it doesn't seem like there are a ton of reviews or options to testing. Being $1,400 is pretty steep imo.

I have had a Kemper for years and just recently jumped back into the modules last month (years ago I had a lot of modded Randall modules).

The synergy stuff is amazing- I feel so inspired and creative working with this setup going syn2> Diamond Phantom> TNL.
But I would encourage you to not make this an either or thing- Kemper is also amazing in its own right. If I can ever get back to gigging again, it will be the Kemper as it sounds wonderful and is so easy to transport and have endless tones/fx available. Carrying a synergy setup would be a whole lot of stuff to bring around for my dive gigs, or even my occasional big gig.

So I say keep the Kemper and add in some synergy

johnboy10 said:
Hi Guys,

My First post :D I'm thinking of selling my Kemper and getting into the synergy family.
Has anyone made the jump from digital the Synergy ? If so I would love to know your thoughts any regrets?

Thanks

John

I literally took the plunge a few weeks ago and I'm totally sold on the concept and most importantly, the sound. I've been a studio-only guy for the last 20 years, looking for a variety of flexible amp solutions that sounded great and were convenient for a project student in Manhattan. I basically used a Line 6/Bonger SpiderValve 112, an 11 Rack and an old school Sans Amp pedal through an Avalon tube mic pre. Of the digital solutions, the 11 Rack was the most satisfying, though, for me, it did not have the feel and nuance of a real tube amp. The Line 6 gave me some great, though limited tones & feels. Great metal/heavy rock tones; very usable cleans on my Strat using its single coils, but not so good on the in-between.

So far, I only have the Friedman HBE module -- doesn't really do clean at all but great, great metal and rock flavors. The blue channel in particular is stunning on how nuanced it is for rhythm work. The tone is so addictive that I just keep getting inspired making riffs. I've only used the cab sim out of the SYN-1 and very happy. Got my Mesa Boogie G10 cab today. Power amp is to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait.

I plan to get at least 2-3 more mods, first up is the Morgan AC next.

So far, I am still totally stoked with the sound, convenience, cost, and plug and play concept. I still plan to keep my 11R as I love its emulation of the Roland JC120. Not sure about keeping the SpiderValve. Bottomline, the Synergy is a gift from the Guitar Godz for guitar players the same way as the API Lunchbox/500 series format modules are a gift for recording/mix engineers.