SYN-2 power switch and module suggestions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btownninja

Reaction score
Hello, new here. I just ordered an SYN-2 and SLO module to replace my JVM410H/1960a setup. The DI sucked on the JVM410H and it just wasn't what I was looking for. I've always dreamed of owning an SLO, so this seemed like the perfect fit.

My question is how do others deal with the power switch only being on the back of the SYN-2? My studio desk has rails (currently only 24/7 network equipment installed) , but giving it the ol'reacharound every time I want to turn it on/off doesn't seem ideal. I plan to use the DI out direct to my interface and also use 4 cable method to my Katana Artist.

My other question is what would be a good recommended pre-amp for someone who loves upper mids in their high gain? Something along the lines of Alexi Laiho's Jackson pre-amp day tone. The ENGL Savage seems like a safe bet, but I can't really find any demos of users dialing in a strong upper-mid tone with it since most tend to scoop mids.

Thanks! Can't wait to get my order in and test this stuff out.

I guess the reacharound will feel second-nature soon but I could see where finding/twisting yourself to the back of syn-2 could get old. I use a rack where my power coniditioner is the on/off button for all 3 items (syn-2, effects unit, power amp) in unison. To your next question about the ENGL Savage, I've got one and love it. The red channel is inherently mid-scooped and I use it only in intense "**** you" mode but the blue channel is very middy (I hear it in the low mids more than the high mids) and I love it. Been a while since I've heard Children of Bodom but it doesn't sound "Follow The Reaper"-ish. I recently made a video where I'm comparing the Savage (using the Blue Channel for everything except the "choppy" verse riff, which is the red channel) vs the VH4 module in a DI setting, just using one track of each amp, back and forth (no post EQ other than a very slight bass cut on the mixer) right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht6XzDa3994

Hope this helps

Thank you! I'll check it out.

I will just order a conditioner as well. The rack is pretty full and at the back of a desk, so the only other alternative would be to leave it on all the time.

Alexi used an ENGL Special for a while, so the Savage might be the ticket. All the demo's I've heard so far sounded really mid scooped, but I guess that's just what most people prefer. From the demos, the new Ecstasy also seems like a really solid pre-amp for my needs.I wish my local shops stocked these for demos. I tend to run 'high gain amps' on lower gain and push them using in guitar boosts.

i can't wait to get this stuff in!

Same here with the power conditioner. I turn it on and my SYN 2 and Helix Rack turn on. In my studio I have other racks with power conditioners too. I turn one switch and everything comes on that’s plugged in.

I use one of these https://www.amazon.com/Power-Conditioner-Mount-Switcher-Charging/dp/B01NBH6K9Y You can turn on **** individually and it has 2 usb ports to charge stuff. :D

That power supply looks nice and cheap. But there being only one review, and it being negative, is a bit of a downer.

I have two Carvin power racks in my studio. They are incredible as you can have them turn on everything at once, one at a time or just turn on what you need. Unfortunately it was part of their amp biz and it went out of bizness . I did see quite a few used ones out there from $40 up to $100.