Syn-50 MIDI function with the Helix

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejhinchey

Reaction score
I just got my Syn-50 over the weekend and have successfully been able to use my helix and store a Synergy channel within a Helix preset but...

I'd like to be able to switch to different synergy channels within one helix preset.

For example, if I want the verse and chorus on one of my channels within my Syn-50 Ecstacy amp and then want to switch to the Vai lead tone for the lead within the same helix preset will the synergy allow that? And if yes, how do I make that occur?

Thanks in advance!
Ed

The limitation here is likely to be the helix actually. The SYN-50 will change any time you tell it, but I would be reasonably willing to bet that the helix does not support sending different midi patches to the same midi channel inside the same Helix patch. I dont own a Helix so I cant tell you that for sure!

Rocktron foot controllers do support this and call this functionality song-based control, essentially you create a list of midi changes you want in the song and cycle through them.

You could spoof this behaviour by creating a number of helix patches that were identical except for the Syn-50 channel they selected, you would simply copy the patch into a new helix patch and change the midi that went to the SYN-50.

I would be reasonably willing to bet there might be patch change lag doing this, you would need to try it to see if you could live with it!

Hope that helps

Ross

Set up each song portion (verse, chorus, etc) as a snapshot within the Helix. You can change channels on the Syn-50 using the midi commands within the Helix. The big benefit of snapshots is the lack of delay when the effects changes versus changing to a different patch.

I do this with my HXFX.

^ that is good to know Ned - I've been thinking about ditching my pedal board for a while and knowing the Helix can do this moves it up the list of possible replacements!

Do all the different versions support this like the stomp etc.?

Helix LT, Helix, and HXFX support the MIDI command center feature, IIRC. The Stomp has hardly any MIDI functionality.

I have HX Effects - as alternate to snapshots, you can program buttons on the Helix in Stomp mode to align to individual channels on SYN-50. So for the preset for the song, set Instant 1 to change to the SYN-50 channel you want at the start of the song, then program 2 stomp mode buttons - one for Vai channel for the lead & another one to go back to Ecstasy channel after the lead. With only 6 buttons on the HX FX, it limited what else I could fit on a present in Stomp mode, ended up getting a MIDI Baby 3, but still use the HX FX to establish the initial Synergy channel with a preset.