Clear Explanation of Rear Panel Jacks ???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMosack

Reaction score
In struggling to set up TWO SYN-2 units to ad channels to my combo amp, I realized that the instructions in the manual are a bit confusing. Or maybe I was tired after a long day of staring at my computer screen for work! I just couldn't focus on a solution until I found a helpful post from a forum member here. It just seemed that the manual's section on "Connecting multiple SYN2s" only works when hooking up to the input of an external power amp, not in "add channels to your amp" mode.

It strikes me that the SYN-2 manual isn't really clear on what type of signal appears at each jack in the back based on the front panel being in bypass or having a module channel selected. The SYN-2 itself puts your amp's preamp into it's own little loop. So its bypass button is toggling between your amp's preamp and the onboard Synergy modules. Either signal then "returns" to the SYN-2 for it's onboard FX loop. Then it's back out to the amp's FX return to get to the power amp. This makes sense (wish I could see a block diagram). But it would be handy to see a listing of what each jack does under each condition. What signal, if any, is present at each jack when bypass is or isn't pushed?

Is this correct?

To Amp In
Bypass: Guitar signal passes through to external amp.
Engaged: No signal here, input is routed through Synergy modules instead.

From Amp Fx Send
Bypass: External amp's preamp signal returns to SYN-2
Engaged: No signal present since guitar signal never hit external amp

FX Send
Bypass: External amp's preamp signal available for effects
Engaged: Synergy module preamp signal available for effects

FX Returns (L and R)
Bypass: Effected external amp signal returning to SYN-2
Engaged: Effected module preamp signal returning to SYN-2

To Amp FX Return
Bypass or Engaged: FX Return MONO signal out to external amp; front panel Volume knob disengaged

Main Outs (L and R)
Bypass or Engaged: FX Return STEREO signal out to external amp/power amp; front panel Volume knob is in play

DI Out (L and R)
Bypass or Engaged: FX Return STEREO signal balanced XLR out to external amp/power amp

speed2dirt said:
I can't help on the individual descriptions as I don't have a SYN2. However, Synergy has a walk-through showing two different methods for hooking up two SYN2s. Connecting it to your amp vs a power amp shouldn't be any different as long as you change "guitar to Input" to "from amp's FX Send".

http://www.synergyamps.com/support/how-to-pages/hook-up-2-syn2s-together

I think the manual is pretty decent in terms of how to connect a single SYN-2 in multiple applications (into power amp, adding channels to your existing amp, etc.).

But their section on connecting two SYN-2 units together is lacking. The instructions seem to only apply to the application in which those SYN-2 units are feeding a power amp. They don't provide the wiring for using two (or more) SYN-2 units to add channels to a combo. The poster @ned seems to have a nice solution.

For what it's worth, I took a stab at making a diagram of the instructions from the manual, from the website (FAQ section, I think) and from this forum.

From the owner's manual. I think this only works feeding a power amp or using your guitar amp as a slave (i.e., bypassing its preamp).
56aGeWr.jpeg

From the website. I think this one also only works straight into a power amp (diagram says guitar amp, but you wouldn't plug into its front end). But depending on red vs pink options, you can have or not have the front panel master volume in play.
dpdH6Fs.jpeg

I hope I got ned's plan above captured correctly. I wired mine like this. The only difference is I went out of the option of going out of the L/Mono Out or the To Amp FX Return when going from slave SYN-2 to master SYN-2.
BLmtjI3.jpeg

Close.

I'm not using the "To Amp FX Return" on the slave unit.

ned said:
Close.

I'm not using the "To Amp FX Return" on the slave unit.

Understood. I think that's why the front panel volume knob comes into play on your setup. If you simply do the other option (the pink and red are there in the diagram to be an either/or selection) than that front panel volume is out of play and you are using it in the simpler "add channels to your amp" mode.

How do you attach your effects unit to this setup? I currently have an H9 in my syn-2.

I chain an SYN2 with two SYN1's that are slaved to each other. My entire loop on the SYN2 is free if I want to run my post gain pedals in that or just main out into the chain works fine. It's easier than it seems if you just follow the various diagrams around. Took me a little trial and error slaving two SYN1s to the SYN2 but it works fine. I ended up with two of them as not to wait on the SYN2 coming in. Does OK I have them mounted in my rack on a shelf held with zip ties. The jacks all do exactly what they say as labeled. Whoever designed the various path ways seemed to do a really great job in maintaining the sound and tone of the modules which is always my ***** about effects loops on most stuff things don't sound the same just in pass through. Somehow the Synergy stuff does better than any gear I have had with multiple line feeds and active bypass mutes.
Here is the worksheet I use to chain things, there are multiple ways.....I use a rackmount stereo power amp so no amp loops
I slave the two SYN1's to each other then slave the master SYN1 to the SYN2 as the master for the rig. All bypass mutes work perfectly.

HOW DO YOU HOOK-UP 2 SYN2S TOGETHER?
The best way to do this is to use the four cable method (4CM) and program the second Syn2 with the first Syn2 in bypass mode.
• Guitar to ‘Input’ the first Syn2 in the signal chain (Master unit)
• From ‘To ext. guitar amp’ of the Master to the ‘Input’ of the second Syn2 (Slave unit)
• From the ‘main output’ of the Slave to the ‘from Amp FX send’ of the Master
• From the Main Out to the power amp amp head’s FX return.
• With the Master set to Bypass the Slave is active
An alternate way that also works is:
• Connect guitar to “Inst In” of first SYN2.
• “To Amp In” of first SYN2 to “Inst In” of second SYN2.
• “Main out” or “from Power Amp Return” (without Master volume) of second SYN2 to “from Amp send” of first SYN2.
• “Main out” or “from Power Amp Return” (without Master volume) of first SYN2 to input of amp
• Effects into the FX loop of the first SYN2.
• One foot switch —just need to connect midi thru of one to the other.

Amplifier FX Return to Master From Amp FX Return
Slave L/MON Out to Master From Amp FX Send
Amplifier FX Send to Slave From Amp FX Send
Slave To Amp In to Input of Amplifier
Master To Amp In to Slave Inst In

It seems a little confusing at first but once you understand the slave hookup to chain, the rest just falls into place. I run modulation off my main SYN loop and back in stereo ins. I run my main outs into my delay and reverb section then out to the power amp (SYN50/50). Bloody killer tones, just love the stuff! One of the very cool things about the Synergy docks is that the outs and loops all seem to carry and transmit the true signal without coloring or altering. I assume they are buffered, does anyone know the specs? Of the many units I have tried and used I always found the loops were not true signal pass and pedals will often sound completely different. Synergy seems to have solved that problem which ever Genius did it, Fryette or Friedman, etc .....thank you guys for your designs and engineering skills!

For what it's worth, I took a stab at making a diagram of the instructions from the manual, from the website (FAQ section, I think) and from this forum.

From the owner's manual. I think this only works feeding a power amp or using your guitar amp as a slave (i.e., bypassing its preamp).
56aGeWr.jpeg

From the website. I think this one also only works straight into a power amp (diagram says guitar amp, but you wouldn't plug into its front end). But depending on red vs pink options, you can have or not have the front panel master volume in play.
dpdH6Fs.jpeg

I hope I got ned's plan above captured correctly. I wired mine like this. The only difference is I went out of the option of going out of the L/Mono Out or the To Amp FX Return when going from slave SYN-2 to master SYN-2.
BLmtjI3.jpeg

How do you get two ins to work on the SYN2? I thought if you used the one in the back the front doesn't work? Interesting diagrams, very cool info. I have been finding there are just numerous ways to patch and chain stuff and just about any of the sends and returns all work well. Once you get your slave chain hooked up the rest is just whatever you want to do. I am running two SYN2's now before that I had two SYN1's slaved to 1 SYN2 and that was a little tricky to figure out mainly because I never had a unit w so many connection possibilities. You have to get your slave thing right so the bypass function works.