syn50 cathode bias

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ola
I've found the answer on synergy amp website , syn50= cathode bias :mrgreen:

The Synergy 50 head uses a Push/Pull power amp section that is fixed bias, some refer to fixed bias as ("adjustable" bias)

Its kind of interesting a lot of the media hype speaks of Cathode biasing the preamps. 99% of all guitars amps preamp tubes use cathode biasing.

I think what the deal with Synergy is they use a real Cathode Follower stage to drive the tone stack if the original circuit used one, instead of the mosfet (Solid state) followers a lot of other module based preamps do. A cathode follower stage causes compression on 1/2 the wave length which results in a pleasing sound. Many Fender style circuits used Plate follower tone stacks and Marshal Style circuits are known for the Cathode follower tone stacks.

I know it’s a necrothread but just wanted to add info for accuracy — the syn-30 is cathode biased and as baron55 pointed out the syn-50 is fixed bias. Both have 6L6 pair of tubes but similar to the studio Marshall series which has 2 el34’s the syn30 is less efficient — so 30 watts with 2 6L6 compared to 50 watts for the syn50 with the same power amp tube complement. Probably amounts to some differences in tone/feel if poweramp gets pushed and means you don’t need to bias for tube changes (which could be needed for the syn50). And happy New Years to all!

Latest posts