Synergy Bogner Ecstasy Module Questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMosack

Reaction score
I just received my Ecstasy module a few days ago, and I'm a little confused on the front panel switches. I think I now understand how the bright switch works (manual is WRONG!). But I'm not totally clear on the Schizo switch. I know a little from asking questions elsewhere, but I have yet to connect all of the dots.

The manual says it's supposed to loosely represent three decades: '70s, '80s. and '90s. In my mind, that kind of means JTM Plexi, JMP Plexi and JCM 800.

That said, the switch is labeled M, V and C, top to bottom. I'm fairly certain I've read M=Modern and V=Vintage. I'm not sure what C means. Classic? Custom? It stands to reason that modern would be the most recent decade, so M should be Modern and JCM. I guess...

From what I've read about how the switch works, it does two things.
1) It removes a 100K resister and 0.1uF cap from ground, to create a boost for ONLY the M mode.
2) It puts a 470K resistor in parallel with the existing 4.7K resistor (resulting in a 2.4K resistor) to increase overall gain for BOTH the M modes and the V modes. So only the C mode has the 4.7K resistor
So overall
M - boost on, 2.4K
V - boost off, 2.4K
C - boost off, 4.7k

The M has the most boost and gain. The C has the least of both.

I can't wrap my brain around this. If the C is classic, I'm thinking that chronologically falls between Vintage '60s and Modern '80s. But I don't think of '70s Marshall amps as being lower gain than '60s amps.

What am I not understanding?

I stopped looking at what the manual and switches say and went by what I'm hearing as I change the settings. Pick whatever sounds and feels best for your guitar and playing style.

The middle position is the most open tone, the bottom position seem to have less prominent mids, more compression and sounds quieter, the top position sounds the fullest and most compressed.

I definitely understand the idea of using my own ears. So far, I'm kind of blown away by the module. So many great tones in there.

I was just looking for clarity and context.

Have you looked at the manuals for the actual ecstasy amp(s)?

I haven't dealt with either yet btw. Just a thought

The thing with the Synergy version is that the Ecstacy amps don't have a Schizo switch. Instead they have Gain Boost, Structure. The Schizo switch is a combo of those switches

baron55 said:
The thing with the Synergy version is that the Ecstacy amps don't have a Schizo switch. Instead they have Gain Boost, Structure. The Schizo switch is a combo of those switches

The Synergy Bogner Ecstasy does have a Schizo Switch and it's referenced in the manual and description. This is from the website:

https://www.synergyamps.com/shop/modules/bogner-ecstasy-pre-amp/

The Ecstasy is so popular that players demanded Synergy work with Reinhold to distill it down into this preamp module which is two years in the making. The Blue channel – based on the Ecstasy’s rock ‘n’ roll-approved second channel – offers shades of gain that, when combined with two, 3-position Pre-EQ and Schizo switches, cover everything from blues to hard rock. Switch over to the Red channel, and the same control layout brings in layer after layer of harmonically rich gain, perfect for wide-open leads and metal. With the Synergy Ecstasy module you can now have all of the harmonically rich overtones, searing high gain, plexi-style punch, and note definition of the original amp at a fraction of the cost.

Mike P said:
baron55 said:

The Synergy Bogner Ecstasy does have a Schizo Switch and it's referenced in the manual and description. This is from the website:

https://www.synergyamps.com/shop/modules/bogner-ecstasy-pre-amp/

The Ecstasy is so popular that players demanded Synergy work with Reinhold to distill it down into this preamp module which is two years in the making. The Blue channel – based on the Ecstasy’s rock ‘n’ roll-approved second channel – offers shades of gain that, when combined with two, 3-position Pre-EQ and Schizo switches, cover everything from blues to hard rock. Switch over to the Red channel, and the same control layout brings in layer after layer of harmonically rich gain, perfect for wide-open leads and metal. With the Synergy Ecstasy module you can now have all of the harmonically rich overtones, searing high gain, plexi-style punch, and note definition of the original amp at a fraction of the cost.

If you read my post I said Ecstacy AMPS don't have a Schizo switch

baron55 said:

I ready your post multiple times and didn't see the "don't" . My apologies.

The Schizo Switch has been standard on nearly all of his later designs and to my ears, the Synergy Ecstasy sounds awesome and exactly how I'd dial in the head to sound.

Mike P said:
baron55 said:

I ready your post multiple times and didn't see the "don't" . My apologies.

The Schizo Switch has been standard on nearly all of his later designs and to my ears, the Synergy Ecstasy sounds awesome and exactly how I'd dial in the head to sound.

No worries:), I actually modded my Synergy XTC to be more like the amp and now both sound dead on.

baron55 said:
No worries:), I actually modded my Synergy XTC to be more like the amp and now both sound dead on.

Whoa, that's cool! Are the Synergy modules easy to mod?

Mike P said:
baron55 said:

Whoa, that's cool! Are the Synergy modules easy to mod?

Pretty much, the PCB boards are through hole which is unusual for the price point, this makes it much easier to de-solder. There are thin ribbon cables going to the board and the front panel controls which you need to be careful of, but pretty easy.