T/DLX vs BEBB

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
I need a clean module. I'm looking at the T/DLX and BEBB. From the demos I've heard, I think I like the red channel on the T/DLX the most. Its a pushed clean and has the green channel as well, which I think I could use as a pedal platform with different dirt boxes. On the other side is the Friedman. The BE channel would be the bonus channel for me and I think I'd stay on the BB most of the time. if the BB were my only clean channel, how would it do for pushed cleans? Strumming? and as a pedal platform?

How do the modules compare to each other? TIA

I find the BB cleans are alright, not blowing me away but nice enough. Pushed with the gain, it doesn't do a good dirty. It is bloated. With a pedal is what it is intended to be pushed with if you are going for that edge of breakup.

The BE is BE and everyone knows it well. I find it maybe a little undergained. Would have been cool to have a little boost toggle on it to give it a tad more push.

What other modules do you have?

I have the T/DLX but haven't tried it with pedals yet. But the clean is nice - what you expect from a Fender Deluxe or Twin.

The BB/BE takes pedals like a champ. Not to make it harder on you, but check out the Bassman module too. It's really tweakable. You can get a nice mid gain tone on the b channel. It's my favorite clean module.

I've heard the BMAN was the clean channel Vai liked the most and used that as a basis for the Signature clean channel.

From what I have heard all these have great clean channels. Even the Blue on the Bogner Ecstasy is nice if you roll off the gain/guitar vol.

I love the BE/BB. The clean tone is very thick but, as one of the other guys said, you'll want to run a distortion pedal into it to get a good driven sound from the clean BB side of that module, as it doesn't drive itself all that well. With that said, the BB is a beautiful, fat clean. The BE side of the module is super-versatile that sounds great from low to just-short-of-high gain. The BE takes drive pedals and effects like a champ. I've never tried the T/DLX, so I can't comment there.

I have both the BE/BB and the Vai. I'm not a fan of the Vai module, but I will have to do an A/B with the 2 clean channels and see which one I like best. I haven't played either since "re- discovering" the SuperV channel in my LB103. I love that channel in the amp, but I hated the SuperV MTS module. :?

For whatever it's worth I LOVE the T/DLX. Very rich clean sound that supports pedals very well. For years, I played in a prog rock band that required me to switch from a very clean/chorus sound to full on distortion. So I used a Roland JC120 with various pedals and tube rack gear. These days I'm mainly doing guitar in the studio for sessions, scoring and podcast themes. The T/DLX has a character of its own but very, very flexible too, just like the JC120, but with tube warmth and richness AND takes pedals -- from the Eventide H9 to a wah -- very well. Even direct from the back of the SYN-1 and then EQ'ing with an SSL module on mixing down...love it, love it, love it.

The only other Synergy module I have is the Friedman HBE. At first, I liked the HBE but wasn't in love with it. After playing and recording with it for over a year now, I fell in love with the HBE too.

I love the BE/BB. The clean tone is very thick but, as one of the other guys said, you'll want to run a distortion pedal into it to get a good driven sound from the clean BB side of that module, as it doesn't drive itself all that well. With that said, the BB is a beautiful, fat clean. The BE side of the module is super-versatile that sounds great from low to just-short-of-high gain. The BE takes drive pedals and effects like a champ. I've never tried the T/DLX, so I can't comment there.
I wouldn’t call it “just short of high-gain”, it’s pretty juiced. All those modded JCM sounds are in there and it’ll do Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, no problem. I’d consider the BE side more like “just short of molten”.

since it’s got such an open and clangy texture, some people it find coming off as less saturated….It’s got that EVH thing where it’s very saturated but it has a cleanliness peeking through it—tons of definition.

I can't seem to have a fav of one module w a great clean and high gain. I supose the BB/BE is close. The clean is for sure much better than the basic BE on that module. Everything else, killer high gain or killer clean but not really both. Exception might be the Vai signature which has an amazing clean and very articulate saturated high gain. I am loving the new Friedman BE/DLX for gain and the T/DLX for cleans. I'm lucky to have two chained SYN2 docks so having the ability to run 4 modules just makes for a rather infinite mix of options.

For whatever it's worth I LOVE the T/DLX. Very rich clean sound that supports pedals very well. For years, I played in a prog rock band that required me to switch from a very clean/chorus sound to full on distortion. So I used a Roland JC120 with various pedals and tube rack gear. These days I'm mainly doing guitar in the studio for sessions, scoring and podcast themes. The T/DLX has a character of its own but very, very flexible too, just like the JC120, but with tube warmth and richness AND takes pedals -- from the Eventide H9 to a wah -- very well. Even direct from the back of the SYN-1 and then EQ'ing with an SSL module on mixing down...love it, love it, love it.

The only other Synergy module I have is the Friedman HBE. At first, I liked the HBE but wasn't in love with it. After playing and recording with it for over a year now, I fell in love with the HBE too.
Now I want a T/DLX module too!
I only have a Syn-1 and the Morgan AC module which is great both clean and mid gain and takes pedals well.
I’m looking at getting the OD module but the T/DLX might be next. The AC sounds great recorded!

Through my recent shuffling of active modules and keepers, I have to say the T/DLX remains a top fav, there is just more use for a great clean channel than an overt gain that more or less has a specific voicing. I come and go on high modules probably ear fatique and needing to change the voicing structure. There are no bad modules I think just what suits your tastes at the time.

I do not have the Synergy T/DLX but I do have the Salvation Twinface, Bassman and the Egnater T/D modules. They all sound different and great but for my pure and fat clean sound I personally still prefer the Synergy OS. But like someone said before, there are no bad modules ;-)