If you could have only 2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker22nd

Reaction score
I have a Syn-2 module and I'm wondering which 2 high gain modules are the best to span the heavier side of hard rock to "**** and barf" metal. Here are my nominees: Fryette Pitbull, Engl Savage and Bogner Uberschall, in no particular order. Which two should I get and why.

you should add Deliverance on your list for the hard rock part i think .
i don t try it myself but great video on the net .

Pitbull has more balanced characteristics than the other 2 I think. Engl Savage sounds looser I think, and the opposite for the Uber.

My main two are the SLO and the Savage. I play everything from Ratt to Children of Bodom and those are almost always my go to. The Plexi has some really great crunch tones for double tracking. Sometimes I use that instead of the Savage.

I'm partial to the VH4 and the Pitbull myself. I dig my VH4 because I love the tones Adam Jones gets. What I like about the Pitbull is Fryette has configured it without the cathode option switch others have, it auto configures to the best and that is that. Word to the wise on the graphic, it is suggested one does not try to do the Mesa V curve thing that is not what this puppy was designed for. A little boost/cut here and there to merely bring out the tone for your rig is all that is needed. You'll get a pretty bad tone if you try that overt Mesa V notch with it. It has 15db +/- slider range so a little bit makes a big difference, plus the freq slider centers are different as well. I've thought about getting a Mesa 5 band EQ and put it in the loop of some to see how it sounds. God I wish I had not sold that pedal!

I have a Syn-2 module and I'm wondering which 2 high gain modules are the best to span the heavier side of hard rock to "**** and barf" metal. Here are my nominees: Fryette Pitbull, Engl Savage and Bogner Uberschall, in no particular order. Which two should I get and why.
The top of my list for high gain goes to the Herbert and SLO. I really like the “ripping” quality of Diezel’s gain texture, but I’ve heard so many wonderful things about the SLO module, one can’t deny it. The Pitbull is probably 3rd on my list followed by the Uber.

Last edited:
There is one thing I have noted, your tastes change a lot w this system so don't count on a permanent config. I mean things you can lock in like a fav clean channel but high gain, I find myself changing all the time. Especially if you change out stuff on your board as it changes which modules work the best with your drives and what not.

TL;DR: buy a Powerball and your choice of a SLO, Uber, Savage, or 6505 depending on if you wants leads/80s tones or brutal death/numetal tones.

If you want a clean channel, the Powerball is the only high gain module with a great clean and rhythm channel. If you need to keep your module count down, it's pretty much a required module IMO. You could buy it and a lead oriented module like a SLO and be set. Or you could use the 2nd channel for leads and buy a Savage or Uber for your rhythm tone.

My preference is the Savage. I also use the Powerball and 6505 a lot. I'm still undecided on the Uber, but it is more unique than the others. The IICP is good, but it's pretty much a single channel module due to the gain stacking and eq. The SLO is good for 80s rock, but I haven't used it much since the 6505.

I also have a GPDI and it sounds very similar to the GP3 / pitbull. I personally think any of the high gain modules will be better than a Pitbull. I definitely suggest you play the Fryette pres in person before deciding. They are pretty much love/hate tones.