SYN-50 Head vs SYN-5050 or other Poweramps?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMosack

Reaction score
I’ve been using my SYN-2s to add channels to my Mesa Mark V. But I want to change that. May even sell that amp. So I’m looking to go more for just Synergy only.

Does anyone know any pros or cons of the SYN-50 head vs the SYN-5050 power amp?

Also, how does that power amp compare to some of the other single or even dual rack size units on the market?

I tried a SYN50 in a store before the pandemic, sounded just OK, but I might have not liked the cab/speaker I tried it with.

I had the SYN5050 at the same time as a Fryette 2:50:2, they sounded similar, probably the Fryette sounded more open/clear, (not sure how to describe it). I kept the Fryette because of the options and sold the SYN5050.
Mesa fifty/fifty is a great amp, different flavor and bigger bottom end (which is not necessarily better).
Mesa 2:90 has a lot more headroom, very powerfull and full sounding, the voicing options are nice but not a must.
Mesa 20/20 sounds pretty good and is loud, wouldn't recommend for metal though.

Unless you play incredibly tight modern metal you probably don't need more than a 50w amp if you want the headroom, or even 20w depending on your style of music.
Other options I know that are well regarded but I haven't tried: KSR compact power amp, Myasnikov custom amps, Engl, Randall RT250, Ffryette power station, Seymour Duncan power stage.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not familiar with a few of those. The ENGL stuff is interesting. It seems to be similar feature and price-wise with the Fryette stuff (all tube, 2u sized, similar featues, etc.). Any idea how they compare?

Haven't tried the ENGL but all their products are top notch so I would assume it sounds pretty good.
Tube power amps I've only tried the Fryette and Mesa amps, they all sound good, just different flavors/tone and headroom.
Non tube I've tried ADA microtube power amp, sounded pretty good but doesn't have the same sonic weight as a tube amp, the Mosvalve power amps sound better but still lack that weight/punch.
Electro harmonix margnum 44 wasn't a good match for tube preamps, even with modelers you still need a graphic EQ after the preamp to make it sound closer to a real tube power amp.

j4q0 said:
Mesa 2:90 has a lot more headroom, very powerfull and full sounding, the voicing options are nice but not a must.

That's interesting, Mesa is quite "forgiving" on their wattage, specification, the 2:90 has actually less headroom and power than a 2/50/2 :)

Personally I love the 50/50 there is a lot of voodoo engineering going on in there from wizard Fryette I would not sell it short. The issues of maybe EQ speakers and cabs can change things quite a bit. You have to find that ideal combination for your rig.

Slight necro-thread revival.
I'm just starting to mess with my Syn-2 bb-BE set up. It's replacing a Rocktron Valve Sonic plexi. The BB/BE sounds great but it's missing a fair amount of thump and bottom end compared to the Rocktron. I've noticed this before when I compared an older RM-4 to my CAE 3+SE. I think it's just a small minus on this approach. Don't get me wrong, the pro's FAR outweigh any cons. So, with that in mind. I think I'm going to need a poweramp that delivers on the bottom end. I haven't heard the 5050 but would think it would be bass challenged just based on the transformer size. any thoughts on options or am I alone in this?

Thanks,
Paul