Lesson Learned - DI OUT and FX Loop

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevertoomanyguitars

Reaction score
Thought I would share this info I learned today after a day or so of struggles. Just got a SYN2 and some modules and really enjoying the system.

I initially setup the system through the AMP return and everything integrated nicely. I then saw the TDWP videos with them running direct off the unit and thought I would give it a shot.

I was pleasantly surprised with how good it sounds. I then tried to engage my Source Audio Collider for some delay and reverb and the volume dropped significantly and was barely audible. If the delay or reverb was bypassed the signal would return to normal levels. (I also tried a Boss GTK for effects only and same issue).

What was the problem? After much debugging (tried adjusting FX loop level, DI level, etc.., pedal settings, etc), there was no issue in the end with the Synergy SYN2 or the Collider (or Boss GTK). However, you have to take this into account. If you are running the DI OUT in Stereo on the SYN2 (both DI OUT XLR Cables connected), you absolutely must run a Stereo Return in the FX loop otherwise you get the massive volume drop. I was running the Collider in Mono at the time and running DI OUT in Stereo and thus why I faced this issue. If I changed the Collider to a Stereo return, problem was gone. If you run a MONO out (L Only) for the DI out and a MONO FX loop you will be fine. (NOTE: I haven't tested this with the MAIN OUTs, so not sure if it is a similar behaviour there or not)

I had never experienced anything like this before and was starting to think either product was at fault.

Back now to actually enjoying the unit and having some fun again. :D

P.S. Don't leave your DI OUT cables connected when doing the AMP return setup, or you will get a massive noise problem as well. Thought I would throw that other advise in as well.