Linking several SYN-2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henk-Jan

Reaction score
I do have 5 SYN-2 preamps.
Is it recommended to link the preamps in each fx-loop?
Or to use a switchable looper and hook each SYN-2 up in a programmable loop.
HOW DO YOU HOOK-UP 2 SYN2S TOGETHER?
The best way to do this is to use the four cable method (4CM) and program the second Syn2 with the first Syn2 in bypass mode.

Guitar to ‘INPUT’ (INST IN) in the first SYN2 in the signal chain (Master unit) – use the front or back input.
From ‘TO AMP IN’ of the Master to the ‘INPUT’ of the second SYN2 (Slave unit) – again, either input, but in this case I’d use the back.
From the ‘MAIN OUT’ (L MONO) of the Slave to the ‘FROM AMP FX SEND’ of the Master.
From the MAIN OUT to a power amp, DAW or front of house. You can even try an external amp head’s FX return.
With the Master set to Bypass the Slave is active
One foot switch can control all (you will need a midi controller multiple presets and banks)—just need to connect MIDI THRU of the master (or first) SYN2 using a standard 5-pin midi cable, to the MIDI IN of the 2nd SYN2.
(b.t.w. how does Synergy this at NAMM to demo their modules?)

I've got 2 Syn-2's connected to a Mod50 without a loop switcher. Works perfectly. This thread has the details.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23588&p=161429#p161429

The SYN-2's were not designed to run in series, which is why the output decreases with each additional unit in the series. I have four SYN-2's and by the time I hit the 4th unit, there was barely any volume.

The solution is to either use a MIDI switching system like the Voodoo Labs HEX or GCX or, which the method I chose, which was to purchase an 8 channel Line Mixer and send the output of each SYN-2 to the Mixer, then send a Mono out to my RME interface. There's no loss of gain or tone using either method although it was recommended that I purchase an ISO transformer unit as well.

Are you using the Main Out of each preamp to the HEX?
Or 'better' result to use the FX Send or 'To Amp FX Return'?
And also Hi or Lo settings?

After an initial comparison I used 'FX Send' till now.
But after a brief new comparison I now prefer 'To Amp FX Return'
on Hi level. It is punchier to my ears.
The Main Out sounds a little 'bigger', but grittier and less punchy.
Maybe due to an additional 'stage' of the SYN2 that isn't necessary for the tone?

Last edited: