SYN2 noise issue

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bono

Reaction score
Hi there,

My syn2 got a weird noise issue lately. It sounds like kind of radio/ vinyl background noise.it appears before I have my guitar cable connected. The only way to cut the noise is to zero the volume or gain. It is indeed a disaster in high gain module. I also realized that the eq have effect on the noise. My friend told me to tighten the screw of the module and to check the tube to see if the tube is not tightly sit in its place. After going through all these steps. The noise is still here. It's loud enough to stop me from enjoying my playing. I wonder if anyone here knows how to fix it. Thanks a lot!

Bono

Did this just start all of the sudden with no changes? Does it happen with any module? If so, you might need to replace the pre-amp tube in the SYN-2. If it's only a certain module, you might need to replace the pre-amp tubes in that module.

Otherwise, check your ground lifts and try turning them on/off on the SYN-2 to see if it improves.

I currently have 3 modules, unfortunately, they all got the same noise issue, I believe the module is fine. The source of the noise should be from the syn2. Ground lifts tried but doesn't help. The noise issue really kills my spirit...

Hi there,
I finally replaced the syn2's 12ax7 with a mesa boogie preamp tube. Yup, the irritating noise disappeared. Thanks for your suggestions. However, it seems that the module now is sounding differently which suggests me to try and test other tubes on syn 2. Did you guys try any cool tubes on syn 2 for a better sonic experience? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Hi there,

I finally replaced the syn2's 12ax7 with a mesa boogie preamp tube. Yup, the irritating noise disappeared. Thanks for your suggestions. However, it seems that the module now is sounding differently which suggests me to try and test other tubes on syn 2. Do you guys try any cool tubes on syn 2 for a better sonic experience? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Bono

Bono said:
Hi there,

I finally replaced the syn2's 12ax7 with a mesa boogie preamp tube. Yup, the irritating noise disappeared. Thanks for your suggestions. However, it seems that the module now is sounding differently which suggests me to try and test other tubes on syn 2. Do you guys try any cool tubes on syn 2 for a better sonic experience? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Bono

New guy here. If you can get ahold of them, Tung Sol 12ax7s are my go-to for V1 on any tube amp. I’d try those first. Every tube may sound a little different, but that’s some of the fun of playing tube amps.

In all honesty tubes are all over the map right now especially given the state of the tube industry.

You really need to consider a few things:
1. sonically what are you trying to achieve?
The tube in the Synergy or whatever chassis you plug your modules into is actually the V1 input tube. This is usually the most important tube in the entire signal path and has the biggest impact on tone.
2. Are you after something current production or old stock?
Usually getting good, reputable, well tested old stock tubes is a lot more money. I could suggest tons of great NOS/ANOS tubes to you but without a good frame of reference it’s hard to say if it’ll work for your expectations and all of your modules.

Likewise the same is true of current production tubes you’ll be best served be a dedicated tube dealer that really sorts, screens, tests, etc.
in my experiences the reissue Tung-Sol tubes are all over the place and wouldn’t be my starting point.
I find that overall at least with where I source tubes JJ ECC83S Slovakian and the PSVANE 12AX7 Chinese tubes are most consistent, sound best, and are usually the easiest to source currently. Assuming they function well these would be the two starting points I’d suggest.

Really anything from Russia (new sensor which is reissue Mullard, tung sol, genalex gold lion, Electro-Harmonix, etc) are all over the map and **** near impossible to source right now due to the Ukraine invasion creating a huge supply issue. They also have a huge price increase due to tariffs and if you find them anywhere it’s likely not a reputable music dealer or tube store because believe me we can’t get them since selling out. Many of those Russian made tubes are also terrible choices in your modules cathode follower spot, like the tubes can pretty much fail instantly in that spot.

In my opinion to be as objective as I can if you have well screened and tested current production tubes from Slovakia you are probably good but reality is that tubes will never be what they once were the music industry is a niche market. Back in the 50’s-70’s tubes were employed in many industries including military/government use so tons of money, state of the art equipment, research, etc went into making them. Many materials and construction things were done in the golden era that simply can’t be done today due to environmental issues, cost, etc. obviously I’m not implying that all old tubes are superior or that all new tubes are inferior. Simply that tubes throughout history don’t have a definite shelf life and really you’ll benefit from good screening and selection. But if you can find the right old tubes some of them can sound much better and be way more rugged and longer lasting. After all things like JAN (joint army navy) tubes really don’t exist in current production.

Any tubes you buy today are really only being built in three factories that I’m aware of PSVANE in china, JJ in Slovakia, and New Sensor in Russia. Companies like Groove Tubes, TAD, Ruby, Mesa Boogie simply source their tubes from those factories and “screen” them and relabel them if they “pass their tolerances/specs”.

For sure most noise is preamp tube. I got a batch of the new PSVANE 12AX7 with $4 extra for noise/microphonics test and they seem to be rather good tubes. Characteristics of the module change w them as well, they seem to have more gain clean and dirty than what was in there. My VH4 was rather noisy and they seem to have helped.

I myself am having a similar problem with my Syn-2. For the clean module side of things (Friedman BE/BB), there’s barely any noticeable noise, but when I switch over to my high gain modules (either a Bogner Überschall or Engl Savage), the EMI noise is unbearable and it’s gotten to the point where I have to use another amp just to get through rehearsal. I’ve done everything I can think of: swapping preamp tubes, changing cables, going wireless, changing guitars, copper tape shielding my guitars, etc but that **** noise is driving me crazy. I have to stand in one specific spot in my basement and while the noise is minimal there, the moment I move around, the noise comes back like gangbusters. I really wish I knew how to tame this beast because as it stands right now, this thing is unusable and it’s very disappointing because the tone is amazing and the switching is second to none. I really wish I could figure out how to make this stupid noise go away.

With high gain your going to get some noise , is this your fist tube style amp ? Do this test , dial the gain down and see if the noise disappears, if so then everything is working like it should . Humbuckers silent things to a certain point , but once you cross the threshold it’s time to invest in a noise gate like the nsg by Darkglass , or isp decimator . If you go with isp get 2 and run one in the fx loop and one as the first or second pedal and use the link cable to link them together then you’ll have no noise and all the tone intact . What you are hearing is your guitar sort of feeding back into the system which sounds like a hum especially at high gain settings . My home studio has cleanish power and everything is properly grounded and I even spent 1200$ on a voltage regulator that filters the power and I still get some noise at higher gain settings . There’s no escaping it unless you get a gate or use less gain unfortunately. Hope this helps .

Hi there,

My syn2 got a weird noise issue lately. It sounds like kind of radio/ vinyl background noise.it appears before I have my guitar cable connected. The only way to cut the noise is to zero the volume or gain. It is indeed a disaster in high gain module. I also realized that the eq have effect on the noise. My friend told me to tighten the screw of the module and to check the tube to see if the tube is not tightly sit in its place. After going through all these steps. The noise is still here. It's loud enough to stop me from enjoying my playing. I wonder if anyone here knows how to fix it. Thanks a lot!

Bono
Have you tried the ground lift switch on the syn 2 ? There are 2 of them .

I would guess tubes or cables myself. It would be unlikely a component went bad that soon but certainly not impossible. I had some noise and response issue on my SYN50/50 and I retubed it with a new set of quality tubes and it has been fine. Big fan of those EBS short cables and Furman power conditioners much less the newer non toroidal power supplies.

I just returned my slo mod for a exchange because the one they sent me had this nasty pop when switching from lead channel to crunch channel , I tried it in multiple slots also and the problem followed . Hope the new one doesn’t do this . It’s really loud and annoying .

Must be a fluke as that module is the most popular I think and I hardly hear of issues. I have not had the SLO but have had 8 of the other ones. Have to say I dig the Deliverance as my fav so w the most adjustment ranges.

I’ll have to watch some vids of the deliverance mod . I’m enjoying being able to set my gain stages from clean , dirt , crunch and lead , really stream lines the recording process , but also allows me to be creative in writing music. Can’t wait to get the slo back haha , I ended up getting the plug in version from neural dsp , and I have to say wow , I can’t believe how far plug ins have come especially the uad amp plug ins and neural dsp , they are really amazing and legitimately sound like the real deal imo . It would be really really hard to tell the difference between the plug ins and a mic’d cab . I prefer the real amp for reasons of ergonomics and being able to switch channels using a foot switch , and I still occasionally use plug in amps because it’s just another means to an end .

I plan on getting another syn 2 sometime soon and thinking about which modules would go good together , I’m thinking maybe a bman and then something else with more gain and that has a lead channel , but I’m wondering honestly also if it really gets any better then what I already am working with , which is the bb-be , and the slo pretty much covers a wide range of tones . Maybe I’ll start a thread on favorite syn module combos .

Since the SLO is basically a modified Marshall, I think the Deliverance is capable of getting that gain structure. Not sure if the feel is different but it does pretty much range that gamut of various modified Marshall's. Fryette has applied his genius to create a channel switchable and fully adjustable deep and presence circuit into the preamp which can create a huge low end kick and more sizzle on top. He also engineered the module to auto config the best cathode switch position for each channel without having the 3 way switch. I also have the 6505 which is also a modified Marshall. I guess I just lean to that sound over most others. I am fond of the ENGL Powerball as well. The BB/BE rounds out my 4 modules.

Hi there,

Bono
Was the noise like a waterfall type sound ?

Hi there,

Bono
I’m having great luck with the gold lion cv4004 , and my syn 2 shipped with a electric harmonix 7205eh which is equally good imo , I think the golf lion has a smoother top end , and is more balanced , but the difference is negligible . I’m also trying some smooth plate teles in the slo right now and all I can say is wow , very balanced and articulate , the mids sound very pleasing , and the tone seems to be more pleasing all around , especially while playing . The reason I’m trying the telefunkens is because after using the slo for less then a week , one of the tubes started creating this sound like a waterfall, after some troubleshooting and removing one tube and swapping it with a working one I found the culprit. 12ax7’s can last a long time especially the older vintage ones . The teles I’m using came out of my dads original Marshall jmp from the 70’s and it really captures the tone I’ve heard on hit records . I’m impressed they are still working since my dad used that amp exclusively and they amp only for years and years since it came out haha , and he’s played at least 1,000+ shows with it and the same amount of band practices . I found another set for sale on reverb for 158$ I’m thinking about picking them up .