Is it ok to hot switch SYN2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattseed

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a Syn 2 in a rack and I really struggle where it’s located getting to the back to power up the Syn2.

I’m using a Furman Poewer Supply in the rack, is it ok to leave the Syn2 on and power up from the Furman ?

Thanks guys
Matt

I've got 2 Syn-2's plugged into a Rocktron Power Station and hot switch them all the time. Should be ok with your Furman.

I am not sure if it's correct or not, but there's a long Synergy module thread on The Gear Page. In that, people discuss some potential reliability issues. I've read that hot swapping is NOT recommended. It has something to do with blowing an FET that controls the Mute circuit. For me, I think it's better safe than sorry, so I always turn mine off first.

I had an issue where the unit went completely silent and went for repair under warranty. Synergy never told me what was the issue but they fixed it promptly. After reading about this issue I've come to the conclusion that the issue arose from hot swapping.
Like RMosack said, better safe than sorry, just turn it off when swapping modules.

Hot swapping is the main reason why MTS amps get damaged.
The Synergy manuals clearly say that the amp must be turned off before swapping moules.
Also older Randall and Egnater amps are very sensitive to hot swapping, e. g. the MIDI-board will fail sooner or later.
Better don´t do it, even if you have to stand up to get access to the power switch :)